TRITON v2 CGS - Chassis Ground System

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
74 hours-I left the 2 Ref 10 units switched on. Together they only draw about 4A. Overall it does sound a little better but still not close to where it was with the fully broken in V1. Some of the edginess is gone, bass is somewhat better. Soundstage is marginally better.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Best recommendation Frank

Leave your source equipment on, your amps off, no signals necessary and forget about listening for 4-5 days

My other question is whether upon changing out the V1 to the V2 you might not have the V2 sitting on the Stoill[points in the exact same position as we have all found that any changes in position do in fact cause changes in the sound

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Best recommendation Frank

Leave your source equipment on, your amps off, no signals necessary and forget about listening for 4-5 days

My other question is whether upon changing out the V1 to the V2 you might not have the V2 sitting on the Stoill[points in the exact same position as we have all found that any changes in position do in fact cause changes in the sound

The Triton isn't on Stillpoints, neither is the Typhon that's plugged into it. They're both on their own HRS platform installed in an HRS MXR rack. I'll keep listening. It's not driving me crazy. I'll just listen and wait for the improvement.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
OK, this is a little more like it! It's coming around now. Patience!

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
New unit just plugged in, with fan plugged into it to speed burn in process .... "steely and edgy" right out of the box .... counting down with anticipation from here.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I still highly recommend that people put their new TRITON v2 on a fan for a few days to accelerate the burn-in process. The Triton has an incredible quantity of copper buss straps, NIC copper tubes and large gauge wire in it. This all needs significant current to properly burn-in. Also, each outlet needs to have current run through it. So, if you are OCD you should rotate the fan's AC plug into each of the outlets.

Just so you know, this is what we did for Steve's v2 before it was shipped.

NIC tubes.jpg ZPP-DS.jpg

Steve Williams

I still highly recommend that people put their new TRITON v2 on a fan for a few days to accelerate the burn-in process. The Triton has an incredible quantity of copper buss straps, NIC copper tubes and large gauge wire in it. This all needs significant current to properly burn-in. Also, each outlet needs to have current run through it. So, if you are OCD you should rotate the fan's AC plug into each of the outlets.

Just so you know, this is what we did for Steve's v2 before it was shipped.

View attachment 20153 View attachment 20154

Is that why mine sounded so good out of the box

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
My Triton v2 arrived this morning before I left for work, so I set it up in the garage with five fans running. I got tired of work so I came home early just before the eight hour burn-in mark. After eight hours, I swapped out the v1, and, at this point, it sounds great. Unfortunately, the AC is now running, and the outside ambient noise is high, but it still sounds great. Even with all this 'noise', the music sounds quieter, with a touch more detail. Granted, this is string quartet music at this point, so I will hear how it rocks later tonight as listening conditions become optimal.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
the detail becomes absurdly good with burn in

Now I can't wait to get my Cyclops upgraded to v2. I will be adding Sigma HC cables to it in a few weeks, so the combo should be superb.

I hope Shunyata decides to upgrade the Hydra AV. My HT will love it.

ariess

May 2, 2015
Just got my V2. Sounded great at the start but now I am going through the break in blues.
I am using a fan to speed it up. I hear I will need to do this for 200 hours. I also know each outlet I plan to use needs some bak in as well. I am hoping that every outlet doesn't need 200 hours as I only have a couple of fans to use.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Just got my V2. Sounded great at the start but now I am going through the break in blues.
I am using a fan to speed it up. I hear I will need to do this for 200 hours. I also know each outlet I plan to use needs some bak in as well. I am hoping that every outlet doesn't need 200 hours as I only have a couple of fans to use.

Definitely takes quite a bit of break in. Mine is on its' 8th day, I've only had my front end plugged into it. It was getting better but still was not that great. Last night I unplugged my Xs300s from the wall and plugged them into the Triton and specifically the outlets where the preamp and phono pre had been, ran it for about 12 hours.

Just finished plugging all the power cords back in their proper place and could hear a big difference already this morning.

ariess

May 2, 2015
Has anyone tried the Chassis Ground System to join a second line (e.g., amp or cylops) to the Triton V2?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Has anyone tried the Chassis Ground System to join a second line (e.g., amp or cylops) to the Triton V2?

I want to get a good feel for the sound of the V2 before connecting any grounding cables. I did buy 4 of them from Shunyata.

Steve Williams

I did. I connected each amp to its corresponding power supply and then grounded them to the CGS. As I said I not only had no effect but it induced a ground loop hum which I never had before. However as I also said I didn't buy the v2 for its CGS

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
After quite a bit of experimentation with the grounding section of the V2, I have concluded that running ground wires from my preamp, phono pre and AF2 to the V2 external grounding terminals results in very obvious improvements in performance. First and foremost, sound is noticeably more open and flowing. Disconnecting any one of the above brings that openness down a notch, disconnecting a second is even more noticeable. I'm able to repeat the experiment easily and quickly leaving no doubt in the results. I was surprised how my system almost seemed muddy when I disconnected all of the grounding wires. It certainly didn't sound that way to me prior to connecting the ground wires.

As Caelin suggested earlier, I tried one connection at a time adding and subtracting as I went along searching for the best combination.

There was no combination where grounding my Pass amps sounded acceptable. Whether grounded by themselves or in conjunction with any of the other components. Highs appeared rolled off, less detail, bass was not as defined.

By the way, the preamp and phono pre are plugged into the Triton V2 in addition to being connected via the external grounding system.

In addition to a more open sound, I hear more air, better separation of instruments and just a general improvement in the soundstage.

I recommend trying the grounding system on the V2 if you haven't already done so. Take nothing for granted. Don't assume because one component doesn't sound good when connected that another might not bring noticeable improvement.

Not only is the V2 a significant step up from the V1 as a conditioner but the new grounding system has proven to be a fantastic and welcome bonus.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Frank thanks for posting...I'll be making my move to the v2 soon this summer...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing