TRITON v2 CGS - Chassis Ground System

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Lots of v1s showing up on audiogon. PResumably folks deciding to sell and buy new v2 to get the grounding feature, instead of upgrading their v1. I'm indecisive about what to do myself - sell v1 and get new v2 or upgrade (or do nothing). Decisions...

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Lots of v1s showing up on audiogon. PResumably folks deciding to sell and buy new v2 to get the grounding feature, instead of upgrading their v1. I'm indecisive about what to do myself - sell v1 and get new v2 or upgrade (or do nothing). Decisions...

The units for sale on Audiogon are either at or below the trade in price The Cable Company will give you towards the V2.
After hearing the results I got using the grounding terminals, I'm happy I got a new V2 instead of upgrading the V1. Shunyata will not add the grounding terminals if you choose to upgrade the V1.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The units for sale on Audiogon are either at or below the trade in price The Cable Company will give you towards the V2.
After hearing the results I got using the grounding terminals, I'm happy I got a new V2 instead of upgrading the V1. Shunyata will not add the grounding terminals if you choose to upgrade the V1.

Frank

Like you I found no benefit from grounding my amps but I must admit that I am confused about grounding your front end components components that are supposedly all ready going through the central ground on the V2. It was my understanding that using the CGS allows you to take other components through the central ground of the V2 without any other Triton benefits so are you grounding something that is already grounded? :confused:

I must admit that I did not even consider that as an option and sent the grounding cables back before exploring that option

I would be interested to hear what Caelin might say

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank

Like you I found no benefit from grounding my amps but I must admit that I am confused about grounding your front end components components that are supposedly all ready going through the central ground on the V2. It was my understanding that using the CGS allows you to take other components through the central ground of the V2 without any other Triton benefits so are you grounding something that is already grounded? :confused:

I must admit that I did not even consider that as an option and sent the grounding cables back before exploring that option

I would be interested to hear what Caelin might say

From Caelin's first post on this thread:

If a component’s power cord is connected to the TRITON — do I need to run wire to the CGS?

If a component is connected to the TRITON with a power cord where the ground wire and contact are functional then the chassis of the component will be connected to the internal grounding system of the TRITON. You do not need to make another connection to the CGS terminal. However, some components may benefit from an additional chassis connection especially if you are using common stock power cords. Try it and see if performance is improved.

Steve Williams

From Caelin's first post on this thread:

If a component’s power cord is connected to the TRITON — do I need to run wire to the CGS?

If a component is connected to the TRITON with a power cord where the ground wire and contact are functional then the chassis of the component will be connected to the internal grounding system of the TRITON. You do not need to make another connection to the CGS terminal. However, some components may benefit from an additional chassis connection especially if you are using common stock power cords. Try it and see if performance is improved.

That doesn't answer the question. In fact ....just the opposite

If a component is connected to the TRITON with a power cord where the ground wire and contact are functional then the chassis of the component will be connected to the internal grounding system of the TRITON. You do not need to make another connection to the CGS terminal

I am not using stock cords but rather all Shunyata Sigma PC's

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

If a component is connected to the TRITON with a power cord where the ground wire and contact are functional then the chassis of the component will be connected to the internal grounding system of the TRITON. You do not need to make another connection to the CGS terminal

He doesn't say it will benefit only if you're using a stock power cord, just says to try it. I did and it sounds better.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

I missed that part. So if I use the Triton v2 as my power source for front end components, I theory would not need the external grounding posts?

Steve Williams

I missed that part. So if I use the Triton v2 as my power source for front end components, I theory would not need the external grounding posts?

It was my impression that the CGS was designed for grounding components that otherwise weren't plugged into the Triton. This allowed for the components that weren't plugged into the Triton the benefit of a common ground.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
In my mind, it doesn't make sense to connect devices to the CGS that are not connected to the Triton via a power cable. Especially if those components are on their own, seperate circuit. Of course, I could be wrong.

I have ordered some spades and will build some grounding cables to try with my source and pre, which are the only devices attached to the Triton. Since my amps are each on a seperate circuit, and not attached to the Triton, I quess I will try it, and be surprised if it does make things better.

Steve Williams

In my mind, it doesn't make sense to connect devices to the CGS that are not connected to the Triton via a power cable. Especially if those components are on their own, seperate circuit. Of course, I could be wrong.

I have ordered some spades and will build some grounding cables to try with my source and pre, which are the only devices attached to the Triton. Since my amps are each on a seperate circuit, and not attached to the Triton, I quess I will try it, and be surprised if it does make things better.
Bud
Anything plugged into the Triton IIRC shares a common ground. Why use the CGS to ground something already grounded. Frank has found a sonic improvement. I'm interested in exploring this

BTW I developed a ground loop hum when I tried to ground my amp and its power supplies to the CGS similar to Frank

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Certainly one of the easier demos to perform. I bought Shunyata's grounding cables. One end has a banana which slides right into the Triton, spade on the other end to the component. Easy enough to connect and disconnect to determine if you hear a positive difference or not. Very obvious to my ears both positively with the components I grounded and negatively when I grounded the amplifiers.

Steve Williams

I
Certainly one of the easier demos to perform. I bought Shunyata's grounding cables. One end has a banana which slides right into the Triton, spade on the other end to the component. Easy enough to connect and disconnect to determine if you hear a positive difference or not. Very obvious to my ears both positively with the components I grounded and negatively when I grounded the amplifiers.

My V2 has posts for spades

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
image.jpg

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing