Tripoint Audio - new top model grounding device

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Hi,

I read somewhere a post on this forum where someone wrote that Miguel at Tripoint Audio was currently designing a new top model grounding device above the Troy SE in his product range. I could not find that post when I searched the forum. Can someone help me either telling me something about this new product or guiding me to that post? I think that post even included that name of that new product.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Roy, I mentioned that Miguel is working on a device called the emperor. He is working hard to finish the first one for the high end show in Hong Kong. I talked extensively with Miguel about the emperor and it promises to be something very special. Have not heard it myself but I trust Miguel's ears and judgement. The Troy is already a fantastic device and the emperor will be a Troy se on steroids.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If Miguel designed to Troy to be an Elephant, Troy SE might be mastodon...but Emperor is supposedly more like a medium-sized dinosaur. Wildly disproportionate to what has come before it, all out, think the biggest you can, then double it and double it again...

Hi Roy, I mentioned that Miguel is working on a device called the emperor. He is working hard to finish the first one for the high end show in Hong Kong. I talked extensively with Miguel about the emperor and it promises to be something very special. Have not heard it myself but I trust Miguel's ears and judgement. The Troy is already a fantastic device and the emperor will be a Troy se on steroids.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
If you go to the audiogon website and search for community, virtual systems and then look for Tripoint you can find some comments of Miguel regarding his 300 lbs (!) emperor device in his own system. Only 5 emperors are being made right now. It is going to be an expensive but very likely also a very impressive device.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Over the past century, the word 'ground' has acquired so many different meanings and countless more incorrect usages that I'm totally confused as to what these devices do!

So using USA terms is it a?

A path to the dirt/soil. (GEC) Grounding Electrode Conductor - the wire to Mother Earth that attempts to keep everything at near the same potential during a thunderstorm or a power company high-voltage failure.

A path to the main circuit breaker box (EGC) Equipment Grounding Conductor - Safety Ground/Protective Earth - the path that trips a circuit breaker during fault conditions.

A audio circuit common.

A part of the shielding system.

A common reference point.

Some thirty years ago, Henry W. Ott wrote an excellent paper on 'ground'.

"Ground- A Path For Current Flow"
http://www.hottconsultants.com/pdf_files/ground.pdf

The Henry W. Ott web-site.
http://www.hottconsultants.com/index.html

Last edited:

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
If you go to the audiogon website and search for community, virtual systems and then look for Tripoint you can find some comments of Miguel regarding his 300 lbs (!) emperor device in his own system. Only 5 emperors are being made right now. It is going to be an expensive but very likely also a very impressive device.

Emperor Master Reference Ground Station

24"w x 18"d x 12"h
300lbs

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Over the past century, the word 'ground' has acquired so many different meanings and countless more incorrect usages that I'm totally confused as to what these devices do!

So using USA terms is it a?

A path to the dirt/soil. (GEC) Grounding Electrode Conductor - the wire to Mother Earth that attempts to keep everything at near the same potential during a thunderstorm or a power company high-voltage failure.

The meaning of ground hasn't really changed,except for the recent discovery of some companies that use ground for noise reduction. This method has been used for years by recording engineers and ham radio operators. Today you will find devices that use a "sink" in the operation which is ferrite material or bars of steel or cast iron. The EMI or current noise is produced in audio equipment and has a profound effect on music reproduction. The sink is so to speak a emi collector as noise current collects on the inside skin of the audio enclosure and if given a pathway will follow the path of least resistance to the sink. Of course no sink is really needed as a pathway to ground is actually the biggest sink imaginable, given the the earth has always been ground. What is the deciding factor is the size or circumference of the pathway used and plain copper wire has always been the best choice as a conductor. Since this noise current carries no audio signal and anything else used as a conductor is of no value. Creating a sufficient size pathway is all that is needed,and one could if wanted use up 1 gauge wire,but it is not really feasible,because of size and inflexibility. The wire size that is probably the maximum size for noise current is 4 gauge and two legs are best. Using 12 or 14 gauge is at best minimal and really a waste of time. Real noise current reduction has a far greater effect than any lower distortion figures in todays high end and in fact some equipment from as far back as the 1950's with noise current reduction can sound extremly well.

A path to the main circuit breaker box (EGC) Equipment Grounding Conductor - Safety Ground/Protective Earth - the path that trips a circuit breaker during fault conditions.

A audio circuit common.

A part of the shielding system.

A common reference point.

Some thirty years ago, Henry W. Ott wrote an excellent paper on 'ground'.

"Ground- A Path For Current Flow"
http://www.hottconsultants.com/pdf_files/ground.pdf

The Henry W. Ott web-site.
http://www.hottconsultants.com/index.html

The meaning of ground hasn't really changed,except for the recent discovery of some companies that use ground for noise reduction. This method has been used for years by recording engineers and ham radio operators. Today you will find devices that use a "sink" in the operation which is ferite material or bars of steel or cast iron. The EMI or current noise is produced in audio equipment and has a profound effect on music reproduction. The sink is so to speak a emi collector as noise current collects on the inside skin of the audio enclosure and if given a pathway will follow the path of least resistance to the sink. Of course no sink is really needed as a pathway to ground is actually the biggest sink imaginable, given the the earth has always been ground. What is the deciding factor is the size or circumference of the pathway used and plain copper wire has always been the best choice as a conductor. Since this noise current carries no audio signal and anything else used as a conductor is of no value. Creating a sufficient size pathway is all that is needed,and one could if wanted use up 1 gauge wire,but it is not really feasible,because of size and inflexibility. The wire size that is probably the maximum size for noise current is 4 gauge and two legs are best. Using 12 or 14 gauge is at best minimul and really a waste of time. Real noise current reduction has a far greater effect than any lower distortion figures in todays high end and in fact some equipment from as far back as the 1950's with noise current reduction can sound extremly well. Neil Muncey wrote many papers on current noise and it's effect on shielded cables....a excellent read.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
In the second week of July the Tripoint emperor will be demoed in Hong Kong in combination with inter alia the Zanden chouku tube amps. Talked to Miguel last evening about the emperor. The only thing I can say for now: fasten your (audio) seat belts when you would be able to insert the Tripoint emperor in your (audio) set up. According to Miguel this device is out of this world, inter alia being able (in his system) to create dynamics that approach reality. As mentioned before, I have not heard the Tripoint emperor myself but the two Troy (se) units I am using in my two audio systems are awesome. The emperor is according to Miguel in a class of it's own, that is a clearly better device than the Troy (se). The Tripoint emperor is an elaborate and beautiful crafted device, very difficult to produce using all kind of materials and costing many, many man hours. So it is likely going to be a device produced in (very) limited quantities.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger, once again the word 'ground' is being used without reference to which of it's many meaning apply.
It's Muncy.
Neil Muncy(RIP) never wrote anything that resembles your post.
This is a short A/V of his on the word 'ground'
Neil Muncy "On Grounding"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2lusiLDEE

Neil Muncy did write on SCIN shield induced cable noise and all I'm saying is that the high end is way behind on the learning curve on EMI noise reduction. I can spend 50 bucks and rid my system of noise. Then you have people that know how simple it is and rape poor ignorant people with 10K,20K and up gimmicks that are designed to hide the simplicity of noise reduction. I wonder why,it's not because people have a vested interest in the status quo? Good night Sir.

http://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/SCIN_Shield_Current_Induced_Noise.pdf

http://www.rane.com/note151.html

Last edited:

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Neil Muncy did write on SCIN shield induced cable noise and all I'm saying is that the high end is way behind on the learning curve on EMI noise reduction. I can spend 50 bucks and rid my system of noise. Then you have people that know how simple it is and rape poor ignorant people with 10K,20K and up gimmicks that are designed to hide the simplicity of noise reduction. I wonder why,it's not because people have a vested interest in the status quo? Good night Sir.

http://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/SCIN_Shield_Current_Induced_Noise.pdf

http://www.rane.com/note151.html

And this answers the OP how? More unsolicited wisdom from the deep wells of pro audio. If there was such a handle on "noise" in that domain, why the wave after wave of insufferable recordings? :/

Another definition to review that is germane to this thread:

troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument
by Alien Entity September 22, 2002

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpg image.jpg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Cool...thanks for posting!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing