Transformer Coupled Outputs

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My understanding of the various methods of "balanced" output would be two identical, redundant complete circuits to achieve the balance, transformer coupled output, or some kind of op amp to invert the circuit at the output. Of the three, maybe the "truly balanced" duplicated circuit might be the "best", but transformer coupling would be next best, and least best would be some kind of add on signal inversion.

For people who like the sound of transformer outputs, that would make the transformer balanced solution, if you MUST have balanced inputs and outputs, the most pragmatic, as well.

I went all balanced once. Another one of those "long run, short slide" scenarios, and since then, I could give a rat's ass about the so called virtues of balanced circuits in audio. You may double the signal voltage, but the cable runs just aren't long enough to justify the ostensible "noise reduction" advantages over the cumbersome additional circuitry, especially if you employ some kind of op amp inversion to get the balanced output.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
My understanding of the various methods of "balanced" output would be two identical, redundant complete circuits to achieve the balance, transformer coupled output, or some kind of op amp to invert the circuit at the output. Of the three, maybe the "truly balanced" duplicated circuit might be the "best", but transformer coupling would be next best, and least best would be some kind of add on signal inversion.

For people who like the sound of transformer outputs, that would make the transformer balanced solution, if you MUST have balanced inputs and outputs, the most pragmatic, as well.

I went all balanced once. Another one of those "long run, short slide" scenarios, and since then, I could give a rat's ass about the so called virtues of balanced circuits in audio. You may double the signal voltage, but the cable runs just aren't long enough to justify the ostensible "noise reduction" advantages over the cumbersome additional circuitry, especially if you employ some kind of op amp inversion to get the balanced output.

Agree totally.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

I to bought in whole hog to the balanced approach. Used fully balanced from cartridge clips...to speaker terminals. (BAT VKP10SE, VK51SE, VK150SE & Purist XLR cabling) I had a dealer tell me...you should really try this single ended phono stage...I was SO skeptical. Put it off for months. He finally brought it by one day...it was sold the next day and I've had it for 6 years now (Nagra VPS with VFS platform)

My guess if the two phases of balanced are not PERFECTLY in synch, then the merits of balancing fall off fast. This synching is hard to do in tubes with the slight differences in the dual triodes and in solid state to just matching the devices closely...I am NOT a electrical engineer so maybe I don't have real clue here....

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Hi , I have not heard the Berning , so cannot comment . It does have a strong following though . Maybe you could tell us how it sounds in your set-up.

Specifically to Transformers or not, I could not say anything; but as to sound..

I have currently three preamp solutions; an Audiopax M5 SE, a Berning ZOTL pre and an Audio Consulting silver rock TVA, you could consider that the inspiration for the Music First Passive, if you don't mind opening a Pandoras box, which I do, so I won't :eek:

The Audiopax is slower than the Berning, but has got an array of colours that is really amzing, so beautiful. The Berning seems elegant (thats the word that strikes me most when listening to that system). The Berning has an outstanding phono section!!
The Audio Consulting I use strictly in conjunction with the Wadia S7i, which allows me a perfect version of laziness (you can use the Volume control of the Wadia) and sound (the Wadia is always running at around 95-100%, I cannot hear a degradation in those values..
But when I listen critically, I would say, the silver rock TVA allows for the best low level listening i have come across!!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
OK, thanks. I last looked hard at ARC around the SP6, maybe early SP10 era. Fully-differential requires twice the tubes and I had not seen that. I am surprised so many are fully-balanced now. (Note adding an inverter at the end die not imply fully-balanced throughout).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing