Totaldac Reference D1

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
So ok 384KHz can sound better that 192KHz on a given DAC, but is it better than 192KHz played by a Totaldac D1?

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi lloydelee21,
What does SOTA mean? The LP table manufacturer?
For PC users I recommend the D1 USB input. If you don't want to use a computer you can also use an audio server, like Aurender S10 among others, in this case I recommend to use the AES-EBU link for the best results. And if you want a CD drive yes indeed they make a difference. I have no specific recommendation but I recommend also to use the AES-EBU link which sounds better than coax with the D1.

Many thanks. And, as Lee says, SOTA is State of the Art..like your DAC! ;)

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
On your site you show impulse response in 44.1 KHz with FIR filter on and off, but what about 192 KHz?

What's the Linearity of the D1, -120dB or better?

Better, but I just made measurement when the DAC didn't measure so good, maybe the linearity (LSB dynamic) can be evaluated from the FFT? I can't make the linearity measurement right now.
As you can see a -140dBFs sinewave will be well above the noise floor.

Last edited:

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
On your site you show impulse response in 44.1 KHz with FIR filter on and off, but what about 192 KHz?

What's the Linearity of the D1, -120dB or better?

At 192KHz the ringing is 4 time shorter and higher frequency.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Please forgive me if my description of the D1 doesn't use conventional audiophile descriptors. Vincent has provided much useful technical information in this thread and on his website. What does it mean?

I listen over USB from a custom server with a high-end custom linear power supply. I play all my tracks without any oversampling in Jriver. I don't use a pre-amp and I output over balanced to the BMC monos balanced.

The most significant difference between this dac and any other dac i've heard has to do with recording space retrieval. I can very clearly understand the recording space listening to this dac to a far greater extent than ever before. There's nothing flashy; the sound doesnt jump out at you. The DACs I've had in the past tend to do one or two things well. For my year with the MPD-5, I always understood the correctness of the image. Each instrument, voice and percussive attack seemed to happen in the correct place, front to back and side to side. To my ears, the only limitation with the MPD-5 was the low level retrieval. The BMC was better at the low level retireval and hence the recording space came more clearly into view. However, the BMC left a slight hardness to the sound on certain tracks. The totaldac separates itself from all previous comers because it can do all of the best things done by the other DACs, but much better.

I was a rock drummer for many years when I was younger. I listen to the drums very carefully. When I listen to Hiromi's "Voice", the totaldac helps me see that Michael Bishop was able to capture Simon Phillips' orientation in the recording space, if that makes any sense. The recording space seems so expansive, it's like I can walk into the recording studio and experience what Bishop experienced when he was recording this all-star line-up. There's no edge or digitalness to the recording. The music and the speakers in my room have NO relationship with one another. It's like the music happens in spite of, not because of, the gear in the room. Piano sounds correct, horns sound correct and the drums have attack and jump factor like never before.

I've only had this DAC for a few days, so you may ask how can it be broken in. I had Vincent break the DAC in for me for about 3 weeks before I received it. I didn't really know what to expect so I wanted to be sure I didn't have to break it in. You see, Vincent gives all of his customers 10 days to decide whether they want to return the DAC. I am not aware of any other DAC manufacturer that makes such an offer.

Are there any weakness? Sonically, I don't think so. I told Vincent that if he were less modest, he could have called his creation "perfectdac." I only have 2 criticisms. First, the case looks very nice but the top of the case is not a heavy metal, so it does vibrate slightly. I ordered some HRS damping plates to deal with this vibration. It probably has no sonic effect, but I am a nut, so I will give the HRS a try. :) The second criticism has to do with the length of time the internal clocks need to lock onto a new sample rate after I switch sample rates. IME, most DACs need a few seconds at the most to lock, the totaldac needs about 10 seconds before it totally locks onto to the new sample rate. Bear in mind, the totaldac uses a FIFO buffer which helps it to reject jitter. It's my understanding from Vincent, that this is the reason for the delay. I don't think I've ever heard a DAC before that uses a FIFO buffer, so I have nothing to compare it with. To me, the delay is not a big deal because I mostly enjoy listening one album at a time.

Vincent has been very kind to spend time explaining his creation to us. IMO, Vincent represent a unique combination of passionate audiophile, methodical professional engineer, and modest music lover.

Is there a better DAC out there? I don't know, but I am afraid I would go broke trying to find one better than the totaldac D1. :D

Last edited:

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
OT - looking at your avatar, and reading your post that you were a drummer for a rock group, got me thinking how you looked like when you were doing that..

nice thread, I thoroughly enjoy reading it.

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I have just made an experiment about digital volume control.
I used a SR-009 Stax headphone and a SRM-007tII Stax amplifier. I used the balanced input. Such a Stax system can be found all around the world, the Totaldac... is less common.

I listen to the same tracks in two configurations:
-Totaldac D1 at 0dB and analog volume control applied at the Stax amplifier volume button
-Totaldac D1 at -20dB to -30dB, depending on the tracks, with the Stax volume control at the maximum to almost bypass the potentiometer(the Stax amplifier keeps perfectly silent even when the volume button is max).
For each track I adjusted the volume to get the same sound level in the two configurations, so I had a system with a Stax analog volume and a system with Totaldac digital volume control.

For all tested tracks I had the same feeling, the Stax potentiometer based volume gives a "thinner" sound whereas the direct amp drive gives more body, more real size instruments, bass is more real, it is never aggressive.

I hope it helps.

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Drain pipe

what's that drain pipe of a power cord brand ? Great looking system by the way.
It's an Elrod. I had 3 Elrod X2 PCs. I sold 2 of them and I may sell my last one. The soulution has an IEC that is 90 degrees toward the right binding post. I can't plug the x2 into the iec without using an adapter. I don't like the adapter, so I may just sell my last x2 also. I am using the stock PC with the 710, which is good. The better my system gets, the less the PCs matter, IME. :cool:

The 710 handles the YG speakers really well and matches the totaldac in resolution. It's an awesome combo!

The drain pipe drains 20 amp into the sound application jc ref which powers the server and Dac.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What do you think of the Soulution 710?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas

What do you think of the Soulution 710?
It's great! It has a tube-like 3D soundstage, super fast and very accurate. I thought I needed an amp with huge wattage/power. I was wrong. I've discovered there is more than one kind of power. Maybe control is a better word. The soulution can maintain very complex music at high db without losing it's ultra-accurate sound or instrument separation. It sounds effortless at all levels; doesn't run out of steam. Bass is very tight and correct. No overblown midbass. It's also super quiet which means abundant low level texture and spatial info. It also rocks. No harshness. The music I once thought was too poorly recorded for listening shed the harsh edge and is musical again. It's like a tube amp but with the ability to really control the speaker.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing