Totaldac Reference D1

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
After 5 days working with Ben at Volent's Hong Kong office office, workshop and demo room, we have been able to deliver from the Sound Galleries music Server, a sound that is simply stunning from the D1-six and D1-twelve with upsampled bits delivered from Roon > HQ Player > D1

Not many audiophiles in Hong Kong were taking TIDAL lossless streaming from the Internet very seriously due to the SQ results they were getting. When we played TIDAL streaming to a D-12 owner who bought the first SGM, his jaw dropped and said " this is a game changer"

This happy first purchaser is inviting his friends over for a listen to the SGM playing local music files, and music from Tidal

This trip was my first sonic encounter with the D1-six and twelve, and I have to say to Vincent, I kiss you on both cheeks

very interesting.
can you tell us what settings were in HQplayer (i.e. what was the signal sent to the totalDAC?)

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
very interesting.
can you tell us what settings were in HQplayer (i.e. what was the signal sent to the totalDAC?)

We were upsampling 16/44 tracks with HQ Player using digital filters in the Polysinc family to 24/176 and the dither option (not none) as the initial basis for the settings. Further tuning was done with the OS process and other settings

As always, YMMV :)

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Wow I have just heard that the d1 server is getting a new power supply! There will be separate power supplies for the cubox and reclocker parts now, so 2 in total! The new power supply will become available in September.

I love the way Vincent doesn't stand still and keeps providing hardware updates.

Guillaume

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Wow I have just heard that the d1 server is getting a new power supply! There will be separate power supplies for the cubox and reclocker parts now, so 2 in total! The new power supply will become available in September.

I love the way Vincent doesn't stand still and keeps providing hardware updates.

Guillaume

In the spring of 2015, we were very keen experimenters of low power CPU's and minimalist software players. Minimalism is certainly an effective strategy, but the heavy iron approach can deliver even better SQ from Vincent's great DAC's

We have a SGM customer who has both a D1-six and the D1-server, who decided to upgrade his streaming setup to the Sound Galleries Music Server after listening to it this week :)

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Can't help thinking that with the last number of posts made about this SGMS, a 'hijack' of this thread is being done to promote that product....

I suggest you open a separate thread on this that indicates the message you want to bring across.

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Can anyone tell me the length of the umbilical cord that brings power to the D1-Six? I have been procrastinating getting the d1-six hoping for one to show up used but no luck so far. I guess i have to step up and buy new. The price new will hurt :) but i hope the sound will soothe the pain.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I believe it is 1.5 meter. I completely understand what you are going through, but let me tell you, buyers remorse never comes to mind once you are listening to a Totaldac product.

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
I believe it is 1.5 meter. I completely understand what you are going through, but let me tell you, buyers remorse never comes to mind once you are listening to a Totaldac product.

Thank you! I was hoping for a minimum of 1.5M. I am really hoping this will be my last DAC. There is an end to this madness... right?

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Congrats! You won't be disappointed. Mine arrived last week and hasn't stopped playing since! ;)

Guillaume

Are you experiencing the up's and downs of break-in? or was the sound pretty much stable after the first day or two. I am coming from a Luxman DA 06 which i have thoroughly enjoyed. I'm listening to it right now and asking myself if the Totaldac will completely out pace it and justify the price difference. Time will tell.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Are you experiencing the up's and downs of break-in? or was the sound pretty much stable after the first day or two. I am coming from a Luxman DA 06 which i have thoroughly enjoyed. I'm listening to it right now and asking myself if the Totaldac will completely out pace it and justify the price difference. Time will tell.

Pretty good from day 1 I would say although it has definitely improved over the past few days.

I don't know the Luxman but I imagine the totaldac will be a different beast altogether.

The d1-six is perhaps the most natural sounding DAC I've ever heard, in that sense it almost takes a little getting used to! Not a hint of brightness and no "etched" images yet bags of detail. Hugely enjoyable. :)

Guillaume

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
I got the DSD option and was wondering if PCM or DSD is preferred or what others are enjoying better than the other.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I think you will find DSD to sound better on the Totaldac than most any other DAC you have heard playing DSD. I used to think DSD sucked until I heard it played on a Totaldac. Most DAC's make DSD sound soft, like Ayre, Chord, just about all of them really. Not so with the Totaldac.

As to preference, there is no preference with DSD vs PCM with the Totaldac, only the quality of the recording.

Did you get the Server too? At some point, you really really should.

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Very cool Gladiator! Do enjoy the D1 Six. It is a very special DAC. Are you having the Server installed into the D1-Six?

Unfortunately i cannot go with a Totaldac Server. I use a CAPS ZUMA with Windows7, because i use Acourate DSP. I know this is not the thread to talk about DSP but if you haven't tried Acourate, you owe it to yourself to contact Uli and try it for free.

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
how does the import tax/duty work? FedEx called and asked for my "importer id#" which ended up being my social. I'm assuming they needed that to prepare sending me a tax bill. Can somebody enlighten me as to how the taxes/duty fee's work with FedEx when purchasing items from overseas?

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
how does the import tax/duty work? FedEx called and asked for my "importer id#" which ended up being my social. I'm assuming they needed that to prepare sending me a tax bill. Can somebody enlighten me as to how the taxes/duty fee's work with FedEx when purchasing items from overseas?
If you're in the US FedEx will usually act as a broker to facilitate the delivery of imported merchandise. They charge a nominal "brokerage fee" depending on the value of the goods, and you will likely have to pay the assessed duty and the brokerage fee upon delivery. Duty determination can be an involved process but US guidelines are available here. You are usually billed afterwards for any taxes due which may include federal, state and local sales/usage taxes. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing