Totaldac Reference D1

Hi Totaldac,

While I have your attention, I have a couple more questions. Thank you, in advance.
- Which of your digital inputs works best?
- You sell a product that converts an xlr signal to rca. For people who choose the dual dac vs a single dac, is this product a must? How's it different than just a couple of adapters?

Hi Caesar,
I prefer usually AES-EBU (XLR) as a digital output to a Totaldac DAC.
For people having only RCA inputs on their amplifier, the d1-dual with XLR-RCA adapter is higher performance than the d1-single. Say it makes a good XLR input to your amplifier. So you get the d1-dual sound to an unbalanced amplifier. That what Mr Lavorgna from Audiostream did in his d1-dual review, to a single ended triode amplifier.

For people having only RCA inputs on their amplifier, the d1-dual with XLR-RCA adapter is higher performance than the d1-single. Say it makes a good XLR input to your amplifier. So you get the d1-dual sound to an unbalanced amplifier. [...]

Does the d1-tube-mk2 require this adapter to go to unbalanced amp? Or has the tube output stage already taken care of the balanced->unbalanced conversion?

Does the d1-tube-mk2 require this adapter to go to unbalanced amp? Or has the tube output stage already taken care of the balanced->unbalanced conversion?

The d1-tube-mk2 doesn't need the adapter. You can use directly the RCA outputs.

Just wanted to say we now have our totaldac d1-server to go with our d1-tube-mkII, and it is all very nice. We had a few minor issues with network configuration, easily solved, our network setup maybe a little odd anyway as we just have a hard disk hanging off the back of a router. In the interest of honesty there is also a slight bug in the latest server software which causes the occasional blip, but I know Vincent is working on this as we speak. Also the latest server software (for the upgraded Cubox) does not yet support streaming or Airplay, but again I believe it is something Vincent will add back in when he's re-configured it. As this update will be a download which you put on a micro SD card, put in the server and restart, it's all pretty simple to upgrade.

So the difference between d1-tube with the d1-server and without, is pretty much the same as it was when we first heard the demo at totaldac. It refines the sound certainly but we think more importantly it add a more emotional connection to the music. Hard to explain unless you hear it, but when you play something say from your teenage years, which has recently left you unmoved, the d1-server brings back that smile to your face, you turn the volume up and sing along.

Also in the interests of honesty and this has nothing to do with totaldac, but applies to many servers which use the mpd music software:
The mPad app on the iPad seems very good and works well at finding and playing music, but it has a few bugs. I contacted the software developer but have yet to receive a response and the app has not been updated since Jan 2014. This is a shame as it is really quite good, but increasingly less reliable, my son noted that if you enter an apostrophe, for example in the search, the app crashes.

Lets hope the developer starts work on it again or at least passes it onto another developer or open sources it. A cursory look for an alternative mpd iPad client app did not reveal anything that is it's equal.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to sell their Totaldac usb cable, please PM

If anyone wants to sell their Totaldac usb cable, please PM

bonzo,

The cable is very reasonably priced, so even if you happen not like it (which I seriously doubt, as it is one of the best USB cables around !) you will not loose much of money.

Hello! I read this on the Totaldac homesite :Bibacord

"Totaldac has selected and has made customised the Bibacord AES-EBU cable.
This cable let all the resolution pass, from the bottom to the top of the spectrum.
Immediately you hear more bass, but without making the sound slower and without attenuating the treble.
You hear better the wood, the body and the texture of a cello for example.
It is not a cable which attenuates the dynamic or slower the sound to restore a right balanced or hide a hardness in a system, it is a cable which allows the best systems to go further again in the realism"

I own this cable and I have the Totaldac dual and As I have Said before its the best digitalcable I have tried. I havent tried every cable on the market but some topmodels from other brands. I agree with what Vincent says, totally neutral cable, no hardness at all but still so detailed, great bass and very natural voices. It makes the music sound so naturale and alive. I can only recommend to try this cable together with Totaldacs models, and with other dacs as well. I got a Message from a friend and he is very satisfied with this cable, he uses a MBL dac. For me, it took me to another level closer to reality!!

Best regards Krelle

Last edited:
Just to update a previous post, that at least for me, the latest version of the D1-Server software has no blips in the music at all after 48hrs of playing with the upgraded Cubox.

Just to update a previous post, that at least for me, the latest version of the D1-Server software has no blips in the music at all after 48hrs of playing with the upgraded Cubox.

Hi there - did you find that the Cubox upgrade had a noticeable effect on SQ? I am considering this myself.

Cheers

Guillaume

Hi there - did you find that the Cubox upgrade had a noticeable effect on SQ? I am considering this myself.

Cheers

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

I have the TotalDAC D1-Twelve and the D1-Server. The upgrade to the new version of Cubox in the D1-Server has a very nice sonic improvement compared to the previous version. I was somewhat surprised by the amount of the improvement that I heard in my system. And as AudioBear states, the latest version of the software for the new Cubox hardware appears to have solved the one problem from the upgrade. I would definitely recommend getting the Cubox upgrade for your D1- Server.

Arnie

Hi Guillaume,

I have the TotalDAC D1-Twelve and the D1-Server. The upgrade to the new version of Cubox in the D1-Server has a very nice sonic improvement compared to the previous version. I was somewhat surprised by the amount of the improvement that I heard in my system. And as AudioBear states, the latest version of the software for the new Cubox hardware appears to have solved the one problem from the upgrade. I would definitely recommend getting the Cubox upgrade for your D1- Server.

Arnie

+1

The improvement with the Cubox upgrade is very significant. No brainer as it doesn't cost anything other than the shipping cost. ;-) Yes the new software is working fine.

Does anyone around the NYC area have the server?

There are a geometrically increasing set of upgrade paths here.
Maybe you all can help me with some perspective.

I currently have a totalDAC d1-dual, a netgear NAS/squeezebox server and sonore re-clocker and sonore streaming client, aes/ebu to the totaldac unit.

If I understand correctly, the cubox is in the server, not the reclocker which suggests that the re-clocker does not completely eliminate the impact of the server/streamer by itself (or perhaps the cubox upgrade gets rid of internal noise that was contaminating the re-clocker or something else related to integration of the two?).

So, if totalDAC d1-dual is the baseline, how would you rate improvements due to
1. re-clocker alone (assume with usb filter)
2. re-clocker plus cubox server

I also assume there is significant buffering somewhere to de-jitter the incoming stream.
Is this buffering done in the server/cubox or in the re-clocker?

Lastly, if I can push my luck (and someone here has heard these combos), how would you compare
1. d1-dual with aes/ebu input
2. d1-dual with usb input
3. d1-dual with reclocker
4. d1-dual with reclocker+cubox server
5. d1-mono with each of the above (i.e. is the mono a bigger/smaller upgrade than the reclocker).

obviously the best of everything sounds the best, but i'm trying to get a sense of the incremental value of various options on the path to audio nirvana

thanks

Hey Cat6man,

The Server is in the reclocker chassis, so you get both with the server. The reclocker is not immune to jitter, it merely attenuates it, and does a very damn good job of it. So the rule applies. The better the digital source, the better the sound.

The Server will give you more improvement than anything. The digital source is most important. No question, and it will sound like you have a new front end entirely. It is that good. If you want the best performance, get the Server. You can get great results using any digital source into the Reclocker, but for the little extra costs, get the Server, then you have both. I have never found another digital source that beats the Totaldac Server. Not even close.

What you gain by moving up to the Monobloc DAC's is quite simply, more of everything. More drive, more transparency, more separation, more dynamics, more depth, more focus, more slam, more more more good, and nothing bad. This is quite a significant upgrade from the D1 Dual, especially if you wish to drive amps directly. If you get the server, and at some point want to upgrade to Monobloc or Twelve, have Vincent put 2 AES outputs in it so you don't have to send the server back when you upgrade later.

Now, depending on the quality of the preamp you use, as the Twelve really must have a good preamp, the Twelve is amazing. However, it does have one weakness, and that is drive. So it is not the best to drive most amps directly. Depending on ones system, tastes, etc. one may very well prefer the Monobloc DAC's to the Twelve.

Hope this helps.
Paul

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Totaldac D1-Dual using USB on Windows 10? Wondering if I can upgrade worry-free.

Hey Cat6man, I'm with paul79, perhaps the next best improvement for you would be the server which has the reclocker inside and also uses the USB cable (go for shortest length) for isolating server from reclocker. The recommended way then is to connect this to your DAC via an AES/EBU cable.

The server/reclocker seems to provide something altogether more musical and involving and I agree that it is seems like a simple but very good server. I've also tried this server with different IOS/software & none have sounded as good as the realtime system TotalDac provide. I can't comment on further upgrades as I'm currently at this level, d1-server and d1-tube MkII.

D1- Monoblocs direct headphone-out

Did someone tested the D1-Monobloc with a (balanced XLR) headphone connected DIRECT to it's headphone out ?

With 2 parallel DAcs, it's Headphone-out should be even more powerful and may be avoid to purchase an expensive external headphone Amp (I'm trying to justify buying a Monobloc instead of a DA-Dual ;) ) if the D1-Monobloc sound signature is Precise, viril AND warm at the same time ! (The D1-Dual headphone out is already very powerful, but may be lack "body", "Warm" and "AIR" that a TOL tube Amp can provide)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing