Toilet talk. The most non-discussed topic on any forum.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As long as the Kirkland doesn't clog your pipes and you can pump your septic tank, what does it matter? Is pumping a septic tank expensive?
It costs about $400. If you take good care, then you stretch the pump out to 4-5 years. If not, you have to pump it much sooner. Worst thing is if you don't pump it and the solids get pushed into the leach field and clog it. Then it costs tens of thousands of dollars to replace it potentially.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
That is our choice too until yesterday when the guy pumping out our septic tank said it doesn't disintegrate on its own and should not be used in septic tanks! Plan to run a scientific experiment to prove if he is right or wrong. :D

We'll need some graphs. Tell me there'll be graphs! ;)

Jkeny, 30 cents per roll?? Nirvana!! We really are flushing our money down the toilet here.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Yea, I developed a sensitivity to the cost of toilet rolls raising two girls who used it excessively - not just for it's normal use but for all sorts of uses which involved opening a fresh roll & wrapping sheets around one hand multiple times - to clean off makeup, etc. Oh the waste, oh the horror

Funny thing is, since moving out of the house & paying their way, what do you think they complain about? Yes the cost of toilet rolls :)

We'll need some graphs. Tell me there'll be graphs! ;)

Jkeny, 30 cents per roll?? Nirvana!! We really are flushing our money down the toilet here.

Last edited:

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
My wife and I agree on most things, but even appealing to her background in environmental science has had no effect here. My 3 year-old daughter is already learning to take the same approach, and I'm resigned to my fate. I recently suggested that there's no point actually unrolling them: easier simply to take bogroll out of packet, wipe once, flush entire roll.

Anyway, where were we? Ah yes. I secretly want one of those high-end Japanese toilets. Is this toilet-upgraditis?

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
My wife and I agree on most things, but even appealing to her background in environmental science has had no effect here. My 3 year-old daughter is already learning to take the same approach, and I'm resigned to my fate. I recently suggested that there's no point actually unrolling them: easier simply to take bogroll out of packet, wipe once, flush entire roll.
Ah yes & it will only get worse when there are things like make-up to be removed (but that will be the least of your worries at that stage:))

Funny story my brother-in-law(BIL) told me illustrating the opposite side to this particular coin - he raised 4 boys & one girl. He was forever telling one of the boys to turn off the lights when he left a room & got the usual reply "what's the problem, it's only few pence a year" Fast forward to this son visiting my BIL after he had moved out into his own place (the son, not the brother-in-law). My BIL asked him what happened when he saw his arm in a sling & he said he fell down the stairs in the dark - apparently he was now obsessive about turning off the lights in his own place after he saw the electricity bills :)

Anyway, where were we? Ah yes. I secretly want one of those high-end Japanese toilets. Is this toilet-upgraditis?
Ah, yes, the Japanese are fastidious about all things - the cleanliness of the sound of their audio & the cleanliness of their ......

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Regarding the volume of paper used, they must be taught to FOLD three or four sheets, not to keep pulling the paper off the roll until they have a wad so big that barely fits in their hand.

Also, if they use it for makeup removal, throw it in the garbage, not the toilet.

. . . .Anyway, where were we? Ah yes. I secretly want one of those high-end Japanese toilets. Is this toilet-upgraditis?

Get a real bidet. It does everything you want a bidet to do better than those toilet combinations. It's as big a difference as between a 1950's record changer and a Clearaudio turntable.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Regarding the volume of paper used, they must be taught to FOLD three or four sheets, not to keep pulling the paper off the roll until they have a wad so big that barely fits in their hand.
Sure, but try monitoring this :)

Also, if they use it for makeup removal, throw it in the garbage, not the toilet.
Yes, it always got thrown in the garbage bin, not the toilet - that's how I knew how much was used.

Get a real bidet. It does everything you want a bidet to do better than those toilet combinations. It's as big a difference as between a 1950's record changer and a Clearaudio turntable.
Agreed, we got a real bidet which is great for me when I want to wash my feet :)

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Here's another thing: my wife is a scruncher, not a folder. I never realised such sub-humans existed until we moved in together, but further research has persuaded me that the practice is widespread. An abomination, no doubt.

Haven't room for a bidet, and besides I want the kind of toilet that Homer enjoyed on his trip to Japan: one that makes restaurant reservations for you.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Sure, but try monitoring this :)

You could dole out the specified allotment of paper BEFORE they enter the bathroom. Twelve sheets, three or four wipes.

You asked how to monitor paper use. I didn't say this would be appreciated!! :)

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Here's another thing: my wife is a scruncher, not a folder. I never realised such sub-humans existed until we moved in together, but further research has persuaded me that the practice is widespread. An abomination, no doubt.
Yes, this is the important stuff that pre-marriage courses should be about, not what religion the children are going to be brought up in or whatever trivial matters are broached these days?

Haven't room for a bidet, and besides I want the kind of toilet that Homer enjoyed on his trip to Japan: one that makes restaurant reservations for you.
You need one that does a biological analysis, calculates your nutritional requirements based on it & recommends the correct diet to follow & then book a restaurant - think big!

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
You could dole out the specified allotment of paper BEFORE they enter the bathroom. Twelve sheets, three or four wipes.

You asked how to monitor paper use. I didn't say this would be appreciated!! :)

I didn't say I was an bean-counting accountant - just a man with limited resources watching the money being flushed down the loo :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Later today I am buying a new toilet to replace an old 3.5 gallon toilet.

If anyone knows of a superior flushing toilet that I should consider please let me know in the next few hours.

If not, I will get another American Standard Champion 4.

Thanks

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Later today I am buying a new toilet to replace an old 3.5 gallon toilet.

If anyone knows of a superior flushing toilet that I should consider please let me know in the next few hours.

If not, I will get another American Standard Champion 4.

Thanks

I'm considering the AS Vormax... I'm guessing this is the $300 one in the OP? Sounds pretty cool at the price of a bit more complexity.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
That's the one out of the three I have that I like the most.

Tom

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I saw the Vormax. The design of the inner tank and two flappers and water dispersion in the bowl was interesting but they don't make it in a one piece design which was one of my criteria.

I got the American Standard Champion 4 Right Height Elongated One Piece in Linen.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/...ight-Elongated-One-Piece-1.6-gpf-Toilet-1624/

The tank shape is different from the other one I own and I like the old shape better, but I know how this flushes and cleans the sides, so I felt more comfortable getting this than one I never saw work in person. You really can't go by the Youtube videos where they flush gummy bears, carrots and chess pieces. It's just not the same as flushing the real thing.

Now I have to order a seat, which seems like it is going to be more difficult than buying the toilet. I want a wood, soft close seats that match the porcelain colors are becoming impossible to find in colors other than white. The linen colored wooden one I have on the other toilet doesn't appear to be available any longer.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
:D

This is an hilarious thread, I would not expect to see here .... then again Audiophiles are quite anal about things .. pun intended. :)

I am interested in those water-less toilets. I have started composting and it is simply extraordinary how things one could have just thrown away as real "garbage" can be transformed into soil...yes ... soil. I have no experience with water-less toilets but I like the idea of re-cycling human waste..

http://www.separett-usa.com/

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
:D

This is an hilarious thread, I would not expect to see here .... then again Audiophiles are quite anal about things .. pun intended. :)

I am interested in those water-less toilets. I have started composting and it is simply extraordinary how things one could have just thrown away as real "garbage" can be transformed into soil...yes ... soil. I have no experience with water-less toilets but I like the idea of re-cycling human waste..

http://www.separett-usa.com/

Yep, it's the "what's best for your bum" section of WBF

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gary, you got a toilet that can move 70% more mass? Oh boy, is there something about you we don't know about yet?

Never mind, don't answer that. ;)

I don't believe I have ran across a wooden soft close. Wooden Ivory yes but not soft close.

Tom

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I think audiophiles being anal carries over into most aspects of their lives.

I probably would not have participated quite so much in this thread had I not been buying a toilet today.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing