Thinking (only thinking) about getting a Dog!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
White Boxers are frowned upon in the Boxer breeding world. I have owned two boxers (I have one right now named Maggie) and I don't understand the "less a companion dog" comment. Boxers are very loyal and loving. Anyone who grew up with a boxer as a child has stories about how their father couldn't spank them when the boxer was near. They will allow no harm to come to a child. I wish I had one when I was growing up. My first Boxer would put some teeth into my wife's butt (just enough to get her attention) if she started yelling at me. God I miss that dog.

And they have health issues as well, such as deafness. They are gorgeous though IMO. Anyway, I'm a long way from deciding. Besides, like was mentioned earlier...I think a dog chooses you.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...Besides, like was mentioned earlier...I think a dog chooses you.

If you go to a humane society or rescue, that is certainly true

Dogs are wonderful, and it's pretty hard to get one that won't be wonderful for you; how it will react to other people and/or other dogs is much more variable and perhaps not so predictable.

Right now we have a Boxer mix (15 y.o.), a Pit Bull mix and 3 miniature Dachshunds. We've also had an Aussie, a Miniature Schnauzer (the least likable of all but atypical for the breed IME) and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. My parents have had Goldens for the last 30+ yrs. Our favorites of all are the Dachshunds, a little strange because before our current three neither of us had ever been particularly fond of small dogs.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I've never had a small dog. Growing up, I've had German Shepards, a Great Dane that Gary remembers but I don't, and a whole series of medium sized mutts. I love dogs too, but my idea of a dog is a German Shepard, not a Pomeranian. Given that I live in a small apartment, work 8 to 6 and am away often, cats are more my speed these days. :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I guess I believe in the zoo theory because I have 3 dogs (4 if you count the joint custody I seem to have with my neighbor's dog) and 4 cats. I have a pure-bred boxer, a pure-bred Walker Coon hound (a rescue dog), and a Beagle mix that someone let loose on the highway near my house that we almost ran over before we scooped him up and took him home.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm still not any closer on getting a dog, because I live in an apartment, but I have been looking and looking and really would love the companionship of one. There are lots of breeds that interest me, plus I continue to visit my local Humane society...just in case. Would I be nuts to consider an English Mastiff? I love those dogs......they make me laugh and I love their docile nature. I've always wanted one. I'm nuts right?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Isn't that too big a dog for an apt

Apparently, and much like Great Danes, they do very well in apartments. I've made some inquiries and hope to find out more about that.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
A dog in an apartment with an owner who loves him/her is much better off than a dog in a shelter regardless of size.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
A dog in an apartment with an owner who loves him/her is much better off than a dog in a shelter regardless of size.

No doubt! And besides love and affection having a dog in an apartment might stimulate his owner to get more exercise, since the dog will definitely need it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No doubt! And besides love and affection having a dog in an apartment might stimulate his owner to get more exercise, since the dog will definitely need it.

And I could use more of that..........

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm still not any closer on getting a dog, because I live in an apartment, but I have been looking and looking and really would love the companionship of one. There are lots of breeds that interest me, plus I continue to visit my local Humane society...just in case. Would I be nuts to consider an English Mastiff? I love those dogs......they make me laugh and I love their docile nature. I've always wanted one. I'm nuts right?

New Yorkers have every dog imagineable at home, and nearly everybody lives in an apartment. Go for it...just make sure depending on the dog's need for exercise (even more than his size), you are ready to take him out.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
We had a lovely dog called Judge. He was a German Shepherd/Labrador rescue dog. He reached the grand old age of 15.5, but we eventually had to put him down. I was so heartbroken when that happened that I was moved to write this poem in his memory.

We're now finally emotionally ready for another dog, but the time isn't right from a practical point of view. We still have most of Judge's toys, so if/when we get another dog (a rescue one of course!), we'll be set!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Great poem Rich and very touching. As an avowed dog lover, I understand your feelings completely. I will be married for 35 years this June, and my wife and I have had dogs ever since we have been married. I have three dogs right now and they all live inside our house in the lap of luxury. It's always heartbreaking when they pass, but there are so many dogs that need a loving home that our nest is never empty. Oh, and we have four cats as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing