Thinking (only thinking) about getting a Dog!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's been on my mind for a few years now, but since I'm single and live in an apartment I never truly ever considered it. People are always suggesting that I get a cat or a dog to keep me company, as I spend most of my time at home alone. The more I think about this, the more I'm in agreement and maybe I need to explore that option a little more. I am NOT a cat person (sorry Myles and Carole), and fish or lizards, turtles, birds and rodents like hamsters don't do it for me either. Dogs on the other hand are cool. I've had many over the decades and loved them all. My last dog, Remy, was a hoot. He was a purebred Yellow Lab and he was a handful, but man......I got a kick out of him! This time however, I'm looking at a little smaller breed, but I don't know what.

By smaller I don't mean tiny or a lapdog, and although I really like Beagles, they may not be well-suited for apartment life.

I won't be getting a pure-bred and instead will look at the local Humane Societies and Rescue operations.

Any recommendations or suggestions? Also, what are the costs associated with dog ownership?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sheltie. Super fun, always happy to see you, very, very easy to train. Weigh between 17-25 pounds. I have had Anna for 12 years, and she is super-obedient but still fun as a puppy. Healthy breed generally as well. Formal name: Shetland Sheepdog. My fiancee luvs her as well.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sheltie. Super fun, always happy to see you, very, very easy to train. Weigh between 17-25 pounds. I have had Anna for 12 years, and she is super-obedient but still fun as a puppy. Healthy breed generally as well. Formal name: Shetland Sheepdog. My fiancee luvs her as well.

I had a Sheltie about 30 years ago and yes they are a great breed. Super intelligent and obedient for sure. "Max" left us with many happy memories.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I also had a Mini-Schnauzer (Jessie) after Max, and he was a great watchdog. I tell you, that dog wasn't afraid of anything, but a lot of people were afraid of it. Very, very protective breed.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...you've had a lot of dogs it seems! 'Bout time again! ;) enjoy the search...that's as much fun as taking them home!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I have a Beagle, a couple of spaniels, had roommates with Labs and Goldens. Right now we have 4 dogs -- an Imperial (very small) Shitzu, 2 rescue terrier mixed from the same litter, and the oldest, Duke. Duke is a bit of an oversized Cairn Terrier. He's lean at 20 lbs, should be 16 -18. Duke is by far the best dog I've ever had. He's smart, loyal, eager, loving. He's small enough to get up on the couch with you, big enough to go to the dog park and run with the big dogs. He doesn't shed much at all, has had no health problems or allergies in 8 years. He obeys pretty good. I can let him off the leash as soon as we get to the woods, and he stays within site and comes back when I call. Good enough for me. First couple of blocks of a leash walk is going out for a choke, then he calms down and is a great exercise companion who works a leash just fine and, I'm sure, could be formally leash trained. Very good dog. For me. For you? Who knows

There's a ton of breed information on the net. Do your research. Find a dog that's going to be happy doing what you want to do -- sit around the house, take a walk in the neighborhood every day, hike in the woods...you just decide what you want to do with a dog, how big you want it to be and do the research. Watch out for genetic health issues and maintenance. My wife's little Shitzu, for example is a great little cat-sized dog (about 5 lbs). Not yippy, loves to wrestle with your hand (one hand is more than enough) doesn't shed, but...he requires brushing and the removal of little matts almost daily. She doesn't mind doing it and he loves the attention, but make sure you get a dog that's a good match to your own time and patience.

Tim

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
John, you might want to take a look at a Vizla. We have been very pleased with ours [rescued]. We have a female that is extremely obedient, a great watchdog [looks ferocious when teeth show but will jump at the glance of her shadow....that's pretty funny], loyal as all get out and a flat out beautiful dog. We named ours Copper due to the fact that when we got her, everything was copper. Her tongue, lips, coat, nails, eye color, whiskers....you name it, it was copper colored. The only thing that wasn't copper in color was the white in her eyes. Now that she's older than dirt, she's showing a little bit of white around the mouth, her lips and tongue resemble a more familiar breed but other than that, nothing has changed. Ours was easily trainable, quick to learn, smart when compared to other dogs that have come and gone and she has a good track record with being around kids [just watch out for that tail wagging]. She loves attention but doesn't mind being alone, has never chewed on furniture or valuables, stays with us when we go out [no leash], never runs away and has provided us with laughs, love, protection and enjoyment for close to 11 or so years. I have not had a dog [I have had 14 throughout my life] that has received more compliments for both the demeanor and looks. More information about Vizlas can be found on the link below if you are interested.

http://www.vizsladogs.com/

The two pictures above are not my dog but examples of what they look like as a puppy and grown. Before I forget, they are a mid-size breed. Oh, and if you do consider this type of dog? Don't crop the tail. It has a natural curl in it that to me, completes the entire look of the dog and looks outstanding. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, John. BTW, mine isn't a purebred AKAIK but the photos aren't too far off what what is laying beside my chair as I type this.

Tom

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I grew up with an English Setter. She was terrific with people of all ages.

Dogs are wonderful pets and companions. They will love you almost no matter what.

When there is an entire family (4-5 people) to take care of them, the responsibility can be manageable.

The problem is they are like having a two year old child that does not grow up.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have had two Schnauzers, the last one (Jazz) is just fantastic, they are convinced of being a larger dog, very intelligent and love music....I did an extensive research in the internet and are one if the best option for indoors.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's true, over the years I've had plenty of dogs. Everything from German Shepherds, Collies, Poodles, and various mixed breeds and mutts. It's been about 12-13 years since my last dog, so I think its time.

I'm going to have a look at a few local Humane Societies in the coming days and weeks, and I have a friend who is very involved with a Boxer rescue site. I've never owned a Boxer, but I think they would be a fun dog to have around. Any opinions on this breed form experienced owners?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have never had a Boxer, but know some friends that do - nice dog for children, has the right size and can live indoors as well - less a companion-dog like the Schnauzer I believe.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have never had a Boxer, but know some friends that do - nice dog for children, has the right size and can live indoors as well - less a companion-dog like the Schnauzer I believe.

I think I would agree with that.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The two boxers I've known were big sweeties who loved everybody. Didn't appear to be the most trainable animals in the world, but don't let that tough face fool you. They're lovers.

Tim

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Dogs are awesome companions: The forgiveness of God; the patience of Job; great listeners ;); playful; lovable. I've had mine for about 8 years -- a rescue Lab (?) -- and she has gotten me through some really difficult times. Dogs can be a pain: walking them; bathing them; boarding them when you go out of town, etc. But I wouldn't trade the time I have had with her for anything.

HIGHLY recommended. HIGHLY !!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The two boxers I've known were big sweeties who loved everybody. Didn't appear to be the most trainable animals in the world, but don't let that tough face fool you. They're lovers.

Tim

A couple in my building have a white boxer, which is quite rare. Very gentle and placid despite it being quite young. Never asked, but I wouldn't guess more than 3-4 years.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Dogs are awesome companions: The forgiveness of God; the patience of Job; great listeners ;); playful; lovable. I've had mine for about 8 years -- a rescue Lab (?) -- and she has gotten me through some really difficult times. Dogs can be a pain: walking them; bathing them; boarding them when you go out of town, etc. But I wouldn't trade the time I have had with her for anything.

HIGHLY recommended. HIGHLY !!

I've been doing a lot of reading in the last several months, and although I think I was always aware of the benefits a pet provides, I have come to a point in my life whereby I think for me it might almost be a lifesaver. I don't mean to make that sound morbid or desperate, just a realization that when you live alone a pet's companionship can help you see things clearer. I'll leave it at that.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I've been doing a lot of reading in the last several months, and although I think I was always aware of the benefits a pet provides, I have come to a point in my life whereby I think for me it might almost be a lifesaver. I don't mean to make that sound morbid or desperate, just a realization that when you live alone a pet's companionship can help you see things clearer. I'll leave it at that.

good "bet" John, I am sure you have read a lot around having a pet, living alone or not - the selection process itself is a life experience, some say the pet chooses his/her owner! (there are difference between "boy" and "girl" with some breeds - check that out as well)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
good "bet" John, I am sure you have read a lot around having a pet, living alone or not - the selection process itself is a life experience, some say the pet chooses his/her owner! (there are difference between "boy" and "girl" with some breeds - check that out as well)

...and if you think there's any chance you might end up with more than one, start with a male. Multiple females? No, I don't think so....

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
...and if you think there's any chance you might end up with more than one, start with a male. Multiple females? No, I don't think so....

Tim

Multiple females? That's for another thread ....;)

The last few dogs I owned were males..... Bitches OTOH one never owns.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
A couple in my building have a white boxer, which is quite rare. Very gentle and placid despite it being quite young. Never asked, but I wouldn't guess more than 3-4 years.

White Boxers are frowned upon in the Boxer breeding world. I have owned two boxers (I have one right now named Maggie) and I don't understand the "less a companion dog" comment. Boxers are very loyal and loving. Anyone who grew up with a boxer as a child has stories about how their father couldn't spank them when the boxer was near. They will allow no harm to come to a child. I wish I had one when I was growing up. My first Boxer would put some teeth into my wife's butt (just enough to get her attention) if she started yelling at me. God I miss that dog.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing