Thin leather mat suggestion

Camfristed

Feb 14, 2023
Have you checked out the Cork & Leather Hybrid Mats? They're super thin and might be just what you're looking for. I've heard some great things about them, so they could be worth a try.

Reactions: loki1957

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
If you are interested in getting the most out of your vinyl playback, cork or leather is a bad choice for a platter pad.

Neither can control resonance in either the LP or the platter and that is the job of a platter pad.
That's good to know... any suggestions for platter mats that are effective?
Best wishes,
Don

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Almost! A solid bit of vinyl, perhaps with an aluminum disk embedded (to help the pad keep its shape), would work quite well.

Hi Ralph,

Do you think something like this might be what you may have had in mind?

The SPEC AP-UD1a made in Japan. This is the updated one, that has the center recessed to accommodate the record label. It's circumference, if I remember correctly, is also just slightly less than the original AP-UD1, to allow you to remove the record while still spinning so that you do not lift the platter mat off along with the record.

The following links talk mostly of the original SPEC AP-UD1. I haven't found much info on the new and improved, updated SPEC AP-UD1a as it is still pretty new.

Here is a link of one for sale https://audiotweaks.nl/product/spec-ap-ud1a/

Here is a link of Jeff Day commenting on the original SPEC AP-UD1. The AP-UD1a is the updated mat and is what you would want to have.
https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback.com/todays-fresh-catch-the-spec-ap-ud1-analog-disc-sheet/

I happen to have two of the AP-UD1a mats. I had ordered one, and simultaneously, my wife ordered me one as a present, not knowing I had already order it myself. I only have one turntable, so if anyone is interested in buying my second unused mat, let me know. I paid $350 ( it came to $372 with tax and shipping ). Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours :)

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:

malanibrahim

Sep 12, 2023
Saint Louis
When it comes to choosing rugs or mats, there's a wide selection out there, and it's essential to pick one that suits your personal preferences and convenience. There's no one-size-fits-all solution since everyone's needs and tastes are different. Also, I’d like to mention that I've recently stumbled upon an amazing resource at https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/what-is-full-grain-leather, which has completely changed my perspective on leather products. It's packed with insightful information about leather, its unique features, and qualities. Now, I'm much more conscious when it comes to selecting leather items.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
That's good to know... any suggestions for platter mats that are effective?
Best wishes,
Don
The best one we've seen so far is made by Oracle. Its an acrylic mat; acrylic is often too hard but Oracle seems to have worked with the material and it seems to work very well. It has a permanent adhesive on the back.

The SPEC AP-UD1 really should have been made with vinyl rather than lacquer IMO. I was thinking of something that actually had two aluminum disks in it with vinyl on the outsides and inside. A layer of Sorbathane on the bottom would help with damping the platter itself.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The best one we've seen so far is made by Oracle. Its an acrylic mat; acrylic is often too hard but Oracle seems to have worked with the material and it seems to work very well. It has a permanent adhesive on the back.

The SPEC AP-UD1 really should have been made with vinyl rather than lacquer IMO. I was thinking of something that actually had two aluminum disks in it with vinyl on the outsides and inside. A layer of Sorbathane on the bottom would help with damping the platter itself.
Tizo made acrylic and pom(material near the lp) too, love the sound.
They customade things for you special wish radius , thickness ,colour all you want.
3mm, and 6 mm thickness sounds really good.

Reactions: Atmasphere

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing