Thiel moving in a new direction

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I simply find it astonishing you would use anything but your ears to judge an audio product.

It seems that using one's eyes and a spec sheet to judge speakers, DACs, and amplifiers is a
unique internet epidemic.

Whether the tweeter is 20 inches or 20 feet from the woofers of no consequence. Both these models
are going on 11 years of continuous production. 'Nuff said.

Andre-Once upon a time I fancied myself as a speaker designer and I designed and built my own speakers for many years. They were all true 1/4 wavelength transmission line designs. My personal preference was always to mount the tweeter as close as possible to the bass/midrange driver. It's my personal preference for how to get the drivers to blend together as a single source of sound at the listening position which is why I never liked how Thiel mounted their drivers.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre-Once upon a time I fancied myself as a speaker designer and I designed and built my own speakers for many years. They were all true 1/4 wavelength transmission line designs. My personal preference was always to mount the tweeter as close as possible to the bass/midrange driver. It's my personal preference for how to get the drivers to blend together as a single source of sound at the listening position which is why I never liked how Thiel mounted their drivers.

Driver placement is one aspect of speaker design among many others. But again...you have not heard Thiels. End of story.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As someone who is amazingly sensitive to brightness, I can assure you the CS2.4 and 3.7 are not bright at all. I have used both speakers
with dozens of amps. Thiel speakers being bright is simply misinformation.

Always sounded bright to my ears.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Always sounded bright to my ears.

I used the term clinical (being somewhat kind) in the LS-50 Update thread mep started and received a similar reaction.

Just goes to show we all hear different things. One man's clinical is another's bright which is another's misinformation which is another's revealing which is another's detailed which is another's ...

That's why there is so much choice when picking speakers. :)

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing