The truth about iPhone 5's first-weekend sales

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
commentary Whether 5 million units sold is disappointing or not is irrelevant. The real proof of whether Apple still has its mojo won't come for another few months.

by Roger Cheng Cnet

commentary Apple supporters triumphantly cheered on the company after it sold 5 million iPhones over the weekend. Wall Street, however, was disappointed by the figure after seeing the long lines on Friday.
The correct reaction probably lies somewhere in the middle. Perhaps a polite golf clap?
For analysts, it was a classic case of hype feeding into the estimates, which ramped up to as high as 10 million for the first weekend, numbers that even a powerhouse like Apple couldn't hope to achieve.

"We find it unfortunate that some analysts continue to publish irresponsible estimates without taking into account realistic demand trends and potential supply constraints," said Shaw Wu, an analyst at Sterne Agee.
On the flip side, while 5 million is an impressively high number, and is 1 million better than last year's iPhone 4S launch, it isn't a genuine indicator of the longer-term appeal of the iPhone 5. There was so much pent-up demand that Apple would have sold out of however many phones it had in stock.
The truth behind that first weekend statistic that Apple proudly proclaims is the number isn't really as relevant as you might think. It's a nice figure to boast about, window dressing, and it certainly fuels the hype and illusion that Apple is invincible. But in reality, that's about it.
There are too many factors, including supply issues, the availability of its phones in key markets, and reaction to the competition, to really make a judgment on whether the company's latest phone will suitably carry on the legacy of success that its predecessors enjoyed.
The true test of the phone's longevity in the market won't come until after the key holiday season, when many high-profile smartphones start to see a pullback in sales and the euphoria of the recent iPhone launch hype has long faded away.

Now, any company would kill to sell 5 million units of anything over the weekend, but the iPhone runs at a higher standard. Sales of the iPhone 4 were amazingly resilient, and hung on to the top spot at AT&T for more than a year (it was also helped by its introduction at Verizon Wireless). Conversely, sales of the iPhone 4S had an initial pop, but began to fizzle as the months went on. Yes, it remained a top-selling phone, but its momentum couldn't match the previous iteration.
The iPhone 5 is poised to pick up where the iPhone 4 left off. Despite criticism that it isn't drastically different, the phone addresses the key concerns of iPhone users, namely the larger display and a faster 4G wireless connection. Those two, alongside the thinner and lighter design, may convince consumers that it's worth the upgrade.
Despite the initial disappointment, Wall Street remains as bullish as ever. J.P. Morgan yesterday said it estimates Apple will sell 50 million iPhones in the fourth quarter. For the quarter ending on Saturday, the firm estimates 25 million units will be sold.
Sterne Agee's Wu said the noise over the launch and the following disappointment didn't change his estimate. He still believes the company will sell 27 million this month and 46.5 million in the quarter ending December 31.
While the stock may have sold off yesterday, there remains a lot of optimism around Apple.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Wall Street, however, was disappointed by the figure after seeing the long lines on Friday.

"Wall Street was disappointed" is one of the most meaningless phrases on the planet. Does anyone really still believe those guys can find their !#$%! with both hands? I'm personally disappointed that a significant portion of Wall Steet remains outside of prison. Their "disappointment" is meaningless to me unless it temporarily drives down the price of a good company, which creates an opportunity.

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
"Wall Street was disappointed" is one of the most meaningless phrases on the planet. Does anyone really still believe those guys can find their !#$%! with both hands? I'm personally disappointed that a significant portion of Wall Steet remains outside of prison. Their "disappointment" is meaningless to me unless it temporarily drives down the price of a good company, which creates an opportunity.

Tim

Yet they run the this country's economy ... I would have thought that after so many debacles for example: 1987, 2000 (the infamous dot-com) and that of 2008 they would have lost some of their credit yet things continue unabated .. until the next catastrophe?
A company sells 5 millions units in ONE week-end at about $200 each!! A billion in revenues in 1 week-end (2 days!!!) and some are disappointed.. Really :confused: And we would like to think that this sustainable !!!

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yet they run the this country's economy ... I would have thought that after so many debacles 1987, 2000 (the infamous dot-com) and that of 2004 they would have lost some of their credit yet things continue unabated .. until the next catastrophe?
A company sells 5 millions units in ONE week-end at about $200 each!! A billion in revenues in 1 week-end (2 days!!!) and some are disappointed.. Really :confused: And we would like to think that this sustainable !!!

If you expand Wall Street to public stock-trading markets, they run most of the world's economy; into their pockets daily and into the ground on occasion. One of my two great disappointments in the Obama administration is that they didn't take this opportunity to break up the biggest banks, re-enact an updated Glass-Steagal, and ensure that "too big to fail" could not happen again. That failure, IMO, makes the dog's breakfast of a healthcare bill look like the finest legislation in a century.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Guys, what it is, is what it is :). If I bought an Apple share for $700, I would love for it to double as fast as possible. I would not care who made money before I bought their shares. So the minimum bar is today's performance which sadly for Apple it means world's more valuable company.

When I was a Microsoft, we had an amazing cash machine. Every month Windows made $1B in pure cash. We did not have to do a thing to make it happen. PC OEMs would replicate copies of Windows and keep sending us checks. So much better than Apple's model of building hardware. Yet, our stock was depressed. Why? Because our profitability was not growing rapidly while it was for companies like Google. As an investor, you just want to make money so you will obviously put your money in Google stock rather than Microsoft.

Now, if you want to say being a public company is what corrupts the system, yes, you are right. So many decisions are made in companies to please the analysts and indirectly, investors. It was interesting working for a foreign company without such constraints.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Here's a short take on 5 sales by an independent analyst who's been ahead of the curve (the majority of Wall St analysts) on Apple over the years:

http://www.asymco.com/2012/09/25/measuring-iphone-demand/

I'm with the 'lets see in a couple of months' crowd, in any case, they sold out the entire first batch with demand still going, so not sure the 5 mil # could have been higher anyway. Also doesn't include those bought first weekend but in transit.

As for Wall St's influence, an anecdote from Todd Snider, a really entertaining, funny and smart singer/songwriter. Turns out Rahm Emmanuel is a fan of his and they spoke after a concert. Snider told Emmanuel he wanted to write a song about the influence of military-industrial complex. Emmanuel told him to write one about the banks, their the ones with all the power.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
"Wall Street was disappointed" is one of the most meaningless phrases on the planet. Does anyone really still believe those guys can find their !#$%! with both hands? I'm personally disappointed that a significant portion of Wall Street remains outside of prison. Their "disappointment" is meaningless to me unless it temporarily drives down the price of a good company, which creates an opportunity.

Tim

You got that right. And when there is that much money involved, you know the corruption factor is off the charts.

I'm personally disappointed that a significant portion of Wall Street remains outside of prison.
:D:D:D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Guys, what it is, is what it is :). If I bought an Apple share for $700, I would love for it to double as fast as possible. I would not care who made money before I bought their shares. So the minimum bar is today's performance which sadly for Apple it means world's more valuable company.

When I was a Microsoft, we had an amazing cash machine. Every month Windows made $1B in pure cash. We did not have to do a thing to make it happen. PC OEMs would replicate copies of Windows and keep sending us checks. So much better than Apple's model of building hardware. Yet, our stock was depressed. Why? Because our profitability was not growing rapidly while it was for companies like Google. As an investor, you just want to make money so you will obviously put your money in Google stock rather than Microsoft.

Now, if you want to say being a public company is what corrupts the system, yes, you are right. So many decisions are made in companies to please the analysts and indirectly, investors. It was interesting working for a foreign company without such constraints.

Was MS giving good dividends?

I like dividends. :)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Amir,

My impression is that the market wasn't too keen on Microsoft not because it wasn't making enough money. It's just that they (MSFT) put themselves in a corner, and knew no way out of it. The path laid out by Ballmer & co. wasn't one that the market believed would grow MSFT.
Apple makes lots of billions every month too, but the market (generally) agrees that they make better use of that money than MSFT did. After all, people are buying stocks for long term investment, supposedly, so the market much target long term too, and between the companies (MSFT, Apple, Google), MSFT didn't have a solid long term plan.

alexandre

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

My impression is that the market wasn't too keen on Microsoft not because it wasn't making enough money. It's just that they (MSFT) put themselves in a corner, and knew no way out of it. The path laid out by Ballmer & co. wasn't one that the market believed would grow MSFT.
The *stated* path was fine. It was go make the money Sony was making from games and take over the revenues from Google in online advertising which is larger than all of software business. These were to be the locomotives of non-linear growth. Without them they were stuck with the sequential growth of Windows and Office. Neither came to fruition. As a software company, Microsoft was ill suited to compete in building profitable and reliable platforms there. On search, they simply under estimated the strong network effect that Google has on search. And the fact that the billions of revenues there, would justify Google giving away a mobile OS called Android. Microsoft in sharp contrast was charging $20+ for an OS that no one wanted.

Apple makes lots of billions every month too, but the market (generally) agrees that they make better use of that money than MSFT did. After all, people are buying stocks for long term investment, supposedly, so the market much target long term too, and between the companies (MSFT, Apple, Google), MSFT didn't have a solid long term plan.
Again, it was not the issue of long term plan. Microsoft had a salivating one. The problem was not being able to get there and create another locomotive of growth. Apple has done this multiple times with iPod, then iPhone and remarkably with iPad. The halo effect then helped the Mac business too. Usually finding one massive locomotive of growth is next to impossible. Doing it time after time is what is remarkable for Apple. Question for Apple becomes whether they have run out of ideas. And if so, then how crazy they can grow the current sales which is the topic of this thread. As far as stock market is concerned, the fact that you have reached the top of Mt. Everest means nothing from this point forward. They want you to find the next taller mountain and climb that. For Apple's sake, hope they can figure out. One thing is for sure: they won't be able to use their own Map app to get there. :D :D :D

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
As a BIG Mac fan, it is my take that many in the public simply got fed up with using a system ( MS Windows) that basically didn't work and was in constant need of "updates" and other fixes. I know I did.
Beta testing on the public IMO isn't the way to a successful public image. ( IF you are a monopoly, then who cares, but once that first competitor comes along...watch out).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As a BIG Mac fan, it is my take that many in the public simply got fed up with using a system ( MS Windows) that basically didn't work and was in constant need of "updates" and other fixes. I know I did.
While that is true, it really has not impacted the market in any major way. The combined shares of Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 are higher than 80%. Mac OS shares are at 10% level.

Beta testing on the public IMO isn't the way to a successful public image. ( IF you are a monopoly, then who cares, but once that first competitor comes along...watch out).
I am assuming you are excepting the Apple map application there. :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have no words to describe this....LOL!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing