The Tree Of Life

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This movie seems to be in Top Ten film picks of 2011 by every reviewer. It is available on Bluray so it is one I must see (along with Brad Pitt's other hit movie this year called Moneyball which is the story of Billy Beane and the Oakland A's)

Terence Malick is certainly a very credible director.

Anyone seen it and what did you think.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Amazing! Definitely one of the year's best. But slow moving and impressionistic...won't be everyone's taste. My wife hated it.

Very Terrence Malick. "The Thin Red Line" is one of my all-time favorites. He also produced "Amazing Grace" which is another wonderful movie.

Steve Williams

Mark

I don't know what you were on when you saw this movie :) but I am still scratching my head. I saw it on TV this afternoon and my wife is on the same side as your wife. Very impressionistic but some of those were so very silly. I wanted to see it because it is nominated for best Picture this year. Well Mark I can say without much difficulty that this film won't win best picture. Yes Terence Malick is a great director but honestly for it to be nominated for Best Picture defies all logic

Too slow moving for my liking. My wife even said that this is one film she won't see a second time in order to try and figure it out

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Terrence (Malick) is a cinematic poet, an impressionist, an illusionist through series of moving images ...

That's just who he is, what he does, and how he thinks (operates in life).

The Secret Life Of Terrence Malick

"War is a poetic chaos." - Bob

* The Trees of Life: Two millions+ of them ... :b

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I really like this movie but hey, I'm the guy who thought "Drive" should have been nominated for an Oscar.

MilkMan

Feb 9, 2012
I agree this movie is no Best Picture winner. I'm not sure if I would watch it again. Not saying it was 'bad' but all those flashbacks and flashaheads didn't do it for me.

Steve Williams

I just felt that much of the genesis of man symbolism was just too much for me. When we got to dinosaurs I wondered how much longer in the evolution process and time into the movie before an actor is seen or a word spoken. I agree, not a bad movie but definitely not Best Picture

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Uh, sounds like I will skip this one. If it's not an action film and women still don't like it, there must be something very wrong with it.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Nope. All I have to do is look at that picture and I know I don't want to see it either. Funky mask, devil ears and a sword. Not my cup of tea.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Nope. All I have to do is look at that picture and I know I don't want to see it either. Funky mask, devil ears and a sword. Not my cup of tea.

It's Frank! :b ------------------------------------- jk ;)

* He'll never read this post; it's simply not his bag to hang around Music & Movies selections.
He's not into entertainment, he's into 'technics'. :b

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Tree of Life is one of the stupid and most pretentious films I've ever seen. the 30 minutes of national geographic footage is just the tip of the iceberg on how bad this movie was.

Please do not waste 2.5 hours of time on it---your time is more valuable :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And it's on sale at Future Shop for $35!

The world we live in is the one where we arrived unannounced,
and automatically ungiven (no choice, no forgiveness).

Our planet is disintegrating from the inside of men ...

Without trees there would be no life.
Without life there's no music ...
- Bob

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Emmanuel Lubezski, won the American Society of Cinematographers' outstanding achievement award in feature film for "The Tree of Life"

Emmanuel Lubezski, who has already earned a lion's share of honors this season for his cinematography on Terrence Malick's family epic, "The Tree of Life," added another accolade Sunday evening when he won the American Society of Cinematographers' outstanding achievement award in feature film.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2012/02/emmanuel-lubezki-asc-award-tree-of-life.html

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Emmanuel Lubezski, won the American Society of Cinematographers' outstanding achievement award in feature film for "The Tree of Life"

Emmanuel Lubezski, who has already earned a lion's share of honors this season for his cinematography on Terrence Malick's family epic, "The Tree of Life," added another accolade Sunday evening when he won the American Society of Cinematographers' outstanding achievement award in feature film.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2012/02/emmanuel-lubezki-asc-award-tree-of-life.html

It says something about ART Cinematography. ... Kudos to Emmanual Lubezski! :b

'The Tree Of Life'

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing