The Puritan PSM156

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
DC voltage is very hard to solve. One needs to look for products specifically to block DC. I think ifi has some DC blocker solution worth to try.

Reactions: Sunra and JasperJ

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I replaced stock 20 A PC with Shunyata Delta v2 cable.

Wow it made the sound more transparent and refined.

Since I had not tested Puritan Ultimatum cable, I can not tell which is better between two.

But definitely, Puritan 156 benifit from nice PC in front of it.

Pozaicer

Jun 24, 2020
I haven't tested the Puritan Ultimatum cable, but now I may have to try!

I've have run the Puritan 156 for 2 years now and it has made significant improvements to my system in that there are no variations of sound quality between times of day (a notorious issue in some areas).

:)

Reactions: Juiced

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I replaced stock 20 A PC with Shunyata Delta v2 cable.

Wow it made the sound more transparent and refined.

Since I had not tested Puritan Ultimatum cable, I can not tell which is better between two.

But definitely, Puritan 156 benifit from nice PC in front of it.
I concur Thomas , Even replacing the company supplied IEC on whichever level of Puritan cable one might choose will improve the mechanical connection with the mains inlet of the unit , which imho is below par and surprisingly wobbly !

Reactions: Sunra and Artnet

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
I concur Thomas , Even replacing the company supplied IEC on whichever level of Puritan cable one might choose will improve the mechanical connection with the mains inlet of the unit , which imho is below par and surprisingly wobbly !

I run a 156 with an Ultimate cable and find the mechanical connection secure. I do run it in a vertical orientation with the freestanding base.

How ever I understand your comment re IEC 's and other comments on cables and may well try to see what can be achieved.

Reactions: Argonaut

Sunra

Jul 16, 2018
Anyone replace the PSM 156 power input IEC?

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
Anyone replace the PSM 156 power input IEC?
Theres a guy somewhere on Youtube who did but dont think he commented on its difference

coldbru

Jul 14, 2022
Fascinating thread. Here's rambling set of questions for the experienced listeners and tinkerers here assembled. I'm about to set up in a NYC apartment the system that was previously in a much larger studio space in Toronto. In-wall electrical / circuit upgrades will be impossible. Perhaps I could replace an outlet but that's it. I am currently using a Shunyata Denali D2000T (it's only 2 outlets -- used for active speaker amps; I understand it's designed for monoblocs) + PSM 156 (front end gear).

However, in my last space I was never able to really compare the Shunyata to the Puritan as they were on different sides of the room. Has anyone compared the Puritan to the Shunyata Denali series? Or the Everest? For that price I could buy 3 Puritans... Any thoughts ?

My system is somewhat unusual in that I'm using active monitors. Each has an amp pack containing an electronic (analog) crossover, and 3 Class AB amps (50, 100 and 200 watt outputs). They're on 2m AQ Thunder PCs. According to the back panel they draw a max of 625 watts. A little googling indicates that this is more than a Pass X600.8. Is anyone running 1250 watts from a Puritan? (or a pair?)

Front end is a Mola Mola Tambaqui, Holo Red streamer, and a preamp, (having tried a bunch lately; the straightforward solidity of the Holo Serene + great price is attractive, and when I feel like spending I will probably end up with an ARC Ref 6). Of course because I read too much I will probably move to a MU1 front end for the Tambaqui; conceivably a MU2 instead. Sources are on Audience F3, AQ Hurricane source, more Gotham 85055 PCs.

Power cables are another matter of course. Both conditioners are currently fed by Gotham Audio 85055 power cables -- a heavy-duty studio-oriented brand I standardized on when I needed consistency between a dozen cables. I have yet to try the Puritan Ultimate cable, and multiple Shunyatas, but they're on the list. I have in my day owned and auditioned Nordost Frey II, Valhalla I, Kubala Sosna Elation, AQ Thunder / Tornado / Hurricane, PS Audio AC12, and a couple expensive and excellent cables from Ear to Ear in Toronto, and regrettably can hear the differences clearly. It takes an already-expensive hobby to another level. : )

Any thoughts / suggestions welcome.

Olesno

Jan 23, 2024
Freehold, NJ
I don't care what some audio manufacturer told you to do. I am telling you in the USA, the NEC is absolutely clear you will not have a isolated ground system on your property. It has to be tied to the primary ground system your utility power is grounded too. No ifs ands or buts. I know the safty reason why, which you seem to feel don't apply to you or your family or neighbors. I am assuming its a fairly universal rule as the reasons behind it are centers around life safety.

I have told 2 customers of mine with Groundmasters I will not engage in a non code compliant installation. But I will happily bring a dedicated ground wire from the systems grounding electrode to the room. Both of those people said their ground master performed just fine for them connect that way. That is the electrical life safty code compliant way to conect a ground box/system to earth. Do not put a loose rod in the yard.

Even of you don't worry about killing someone, another reason is lightning. For some reasons when lightning strikes ground it has a tendency to walk up the ground in your house and out the the utility ground and back to earth again. It does weird things. Anyhow, a manufacturer of industrial machines was telling their customers to drive a ground rod into earth and to tie the equipment to it. Their machines kept failing. It turn out lightning was hitting ground and going up the extra ground rod, though their equipment and out the utility. I'm pretty sure a lightning strike to earth close to a home will blow right through any safety devices built into the groundmaster and fry your gear.

It works the other way too. If it hits the power line its racing to your panel and trying to exit out the ground to earth. If you have a ground rod out in the yard, some amount of that surge might race down the branch wire, through your gear and out the ground wire to the rod you stuck in the yard. A lot of factors at play, but its a very real possibility.
Enough said. Don't put a loose ground rod in your yard.
A little while ago when deciding on implementing Puritan's grounding system into my audio setup, for a brief moment I thought about getting the Ground Master. I'm glad I decided against it and purchased the GM City. Even though some "high quality ears" claim that the City provides roughly 80-90% of sound improvement vs. the GM, it was well worth it. In real life the improvement in sound, especially the black, totally quiet background was very significant. Can't imagine what the additional 10-20% would do but at least I don't have to think about unnecessarily exposing my house to occasional lightning strikes. I know it's not a guarantee but at least I'm not taking any chances.

Reactions: Sunra

Juiced

Nov 26, 2022

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I had tried Shunyata Sigma XC cable in front of Puritan psm156.

Wow it removes slightly remaining hash and make my system sound more organic.

The bad news is that Sigma XC cable cost more than Puritan psm156.

I also had done home trial of Shunyata Everest.

Puritan give fuller sound while Everest make very transparent sound.

I had not decided which will work bette in my system since I got the feeling that my system occasionally sounds too hot with everest.

Some people claim that Puritan is hyped.

But I am of the opinion that if your system sounds bright with some hash, then Puritan will help a lot.

On the other hand, if your system sounds warm, then Shunyate will work better.

Reactions: shawnf and Juiced

cykin

Mar 23, 2022
I had tried Shunyata Sigma XC cable in front of Puritan psm156.

Wow it removes slightly remaining hash and make my system sound more organic.

The bad news is that Sigma XC cable cost more than Puritan psm156.

I also had done home trial of Shunyata Everest.

Puritan give fuller sound while Everest make very transparent sound.

I had not decided which will work bette in my system since I got the feeling that my system occasionally sounds too hot with everest.

Some people claim that Puritan is hyped.

But I am of the opinion that if your system sounds bright with some hash, then Puritan will help a lot.

On the other hand, if your system sounds warm, then Shunyate will work better.
Hi,

Wow, I can’t imagine psm156 can even compare with everest!

Have you compared them with Isotek new V5 line? I am thinking of get one of those for my monoblock. Thanks.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Hi,

Wow, I can’t imagine psm156 can even compare with everest!

Have you compared them with Isotek new V5 line? I am thinking of get one of those for my monoblock. Thanks.
Hi

I do not mean that Puritan 156 is at the same level as Everest in general.

I had not tested Isotek thus no comment.

The best way is to do home audition with help of local dealer.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I have been using the Puritan for over 3 years now. Initially, I paired it with the OTL and SET amplifiers I had on hand, and later with the Aries Cerat Quintessence amplifiers. I noticed a significant improvement in sound quality when using the SET and OTL amplifiers compared to the Aries Cerat, possibly due to the superior Engineered Power supply in the AC equipment. When I compared the system by connecting it directly to the wall versus through the Puritan, I observed that the system felt noticeably calmer and quieter when plugged into the Puritan. Surprisingly, I did not perceive any impact on the dynamics of the system, whether it was plugged into the wall or the Puritan.

In my setup, the Puritan has become a permanent fixture. Even my streamer, DAC, and other smaller devices are all connected to the Puritan, enhancing the overall system performance and quality.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
It may be crazy to try 7k$ Shunyata Omega XC in front of Puritan psm 156.

But I am doing that righ now.

The result is breathtaking.

My system sounds so smooth and viloin sounds silky.

I also have Everest 8000 on home audtiion.

But it seems that combination of Shunyata Omega XC in front of Puritan psm 156.is good enough. ;)

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

But it seems that combination of Shunyata Omega XC in front of Puritan psm 156.is good enough. ;)
I am not surprised. Puritan uses traditional parts (LC) to filter the noise. Shunyata cable uses materials to absorb the noise. They may complement each other.

Reactions: thomask

itay123

Mar 5, 2023

I recently acquire
the Shunyata Research Everest 8000 + Shunyata Research OMEGA XC

After a concentrated demo's that lasted at least a few good hours against other "Titans", I preferred the EVEREST in my Setup,
The result's in my SETUP, felt clearly and opened up more, became clearer at the edges, fuller, The lower level's got a clearer presence, level of silence and its black background, has always been at a high level in my setup with almost every conditioner' and Every conditioner with its "voicing" and control, in a super transparent setup's, you can feel it straight away,

I decided to invest in this duo!

Last edited:
Reactions: keithc and thomask

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I recently acquire
the Shunyata Research Everest 8000 + Shunyata Research OMEGA XC

After a concentrated demo's that lasted at least a few good hours against other "Titans", I preferred the EVEREST in my Setup,
The result's in my SETUP, felt clearly and opened up more, became clearer at the edges, fuller, The lower level's got a clearer presence, level of silence and its black background, has always been at a high level in my setup with almost every conditioner' and Every conditioner with its "voicing" and control, in a super transparent setup's, you can feel it straight away,

I decided to invest in this duo!

Enjoy and renew in advance.

View attachment 128075

View attachment 128076
Did you compare to the Puritan?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing