the NHB-458's are here

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi

I am not Mike (of course ..duh ...:rolleyes:) .. I am not speaking for Mike. nor am I a moderator. I believe it is only good manners that the issues of personal financial means to not be discussed in any thread. When a person opens his system to his fellow audiophiles, forum members there is an implied assumption that the means (and or circumstances) of acquisition of such gear are not to be discussed.. Let's continue to abide to this unwritten rule of decorum and propriety ..

Out for now

Wise words.
+1

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
glad you enjoyed it.

i wrote a long reponse to you and then deleted it figuring it was too defensive. people will always think what they think anyway and you cannot change their perspectives on this subject.

i'll only say don't judge 'net worth/means/being rich' by the gear one owns. they are two independant ideas. and involve choices and consequences for most of us. i'm part of the 'most of us'.

Or as I like to say, if you have to work you are not rich! Enjoy this wonderful system; what I want to know is how much power does listening to soprano draw. I would bet over 1000W

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
I was disappointed not to have experienced vinyl today. The table should be back in operation shortly.

The mic on the iphone is not too bad. The audio even sounds pretty nice played back on the tiny macbook speakers!

R

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Mike,

Thank you for letting Rich share the video of your room and system. Stunningly beautiful.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Or as I like to say, if you have to work you are not rich! Enjoy this wonderful system; what I want to know is how much power does listening to soprano draw. I would bet over 1000W

today i did accidentally go to track 1, Fanfair for the Common Man, of the RR-93CD of Copland, Oue conducting with the volume quite a ways up for a softer track. i had the volume control in my hand on the turn down button so it was brief, but we hit 210 watts when that big kettle drum hit (or whatever it is) for a couple of seconds. the speakers and amps had no problem as there was just music and no distortion, but it was pretty much like an atom bomb detonated and then stopped.

otherwise; the 2 top watt causers have been Anna Netrebko at 55 watts on a peak, and on Rich's double dsd live recording today a Trumpet hit 78 watts. Rich can describe the mics and the absense of any limiting. both events were not events. the music simply proceeded. completely coherent and without any stress.

with the MM7's at 96db, 6 ohm and with the reserves of current on hand (750 joules of power is stored in the capacitors for peaks) that the 458's have to deal with peaks with, i cannot imagine an earthly event which might result in the use of 1000 watts. 50-75 watts is pretty darn loud and forceful.

Last edited:

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
The recording on the Zeel/MM7 video was one I made last weekend at a jazz club in Portland. I used the old E. D. Nunn/Audiophile RF tube condenser omni microphones(which are line level without any transformers and use B&K 4147 measurement capsules) going straight into the Korg 2000S line inputs at double DSD. The mics were spaced about 6 feel apart. These were the first time the microphones had been used since Nunn retired in the early 80s! I love them :)
The Korg is a sweet recorder and the Playback Designs is stunning for playback. Here is a short video of the actual concert/recording with a bad view of the microphones and Korg in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-xPYpwrxjY&feature=channel&list=UL

Rich

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Err,

Uncle Mike , power cords , standard stuff or upgraded ...?

since i had the Equi=tech installed 2 years ago i have upgraded all my power cords (total of 12) to mostly Absolute Fidelity, which is from Gary Koh of Genesis Loudspeakers. Gary makes 3 different types; one for subwoofers and amps, one for sources and preamps, and one for tt's and RTR decks with motors. i've been very happy with these power cords.

i did compare the Absolute Fidelity power cords for amps ($1800 list price for the first 1.5 meters) to the Evolution Triple Run power cord ($3600 for the first 2 meters) and the EA TR was noticably a little better. i did not hear much difference when using the EA TR in other places. so i did acquire 2 of the EA TR power cords for the pair of 458's. it did take 15 days of burn-in on the Audio Kharma Cable Cooker for the very heavy and thick EA TR power cords.

3 sources-- dart pre, PD digital, King-Cello tape repro
3 motors-- NVS tt, 2 Studer RTR's
4 subwoofer--2 on each bass tower
2 amps--EA TR on the 458's

my Ampex ATR-102 has a captured stock power cord which we did try to retro fit an Absolute Fidelity power cord to, but Gary and i decided it was not worth the effort.

so i feel i've got power cords that do measure up to the potential of the Equi=tech and the rest of the gear.

power cords; check.

i did also break in the Furutech GTX-D duplex outlets which i am now using for the 458's. i have 5 of these GTX-D outlets along the front wall for amps; and had only been using the outside 2 for the subs on the MM3's and the middle one for the dart 108 stereo amp. 3 months ago i started using the other 2 GTX-D's on either side of the middle one alternating 6 weeks on each with my 108 to get them well cooked in prior to the arrival of the 458's.

and what's this 'Uncle Mike' stuff?

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks for the video. I can get a sense of the sound. The dynamics were excellent.

I still can't imagine why audiophiles skeptics are not begging for a chance to audition your system. You have addressed every issue I can think of regarding audio playback. If nothing else they could enjoy some good music and company.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I was over there yesterday for a few hours. Did get some listening time in.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
since i had the Equi=tech installed 2 years ago i have upgraded all my power cords (total of 12) to mostly Absolute Fidelity, which is from Gary Koh of Genesis Loudspeakers. Gary makes 3 different types; one for subwoofers and amps, one for sources and preamps, and one for tt's and RTR decks with motors. i've been very happy with these power cords.

i did compare the Absolute Fidelity power cords for amps ($1800 list price for the first 1.5 meters) to the Evolution Triple Run power cord ($3600 for the first 2 meters) and the EA TR was noticably a little better. i did not hear much difference when using the EA TR in other places. so i did acquire 2 of the EA TR power cords for the pair of 458's. it did take 15 days of burn-in on the Audio Kharma Cable Cooker for the very heavy and thick EA TR power cords.

3 sources-- dart pre, PD digital, King-Cello tape repro
3 motors-- NVS tt, 2 Studer RTR's
4 subwoofer--2 on each bass tower
2 amps--EA TR on the 458's

my Ampex ATR-102 has a captured stock power cord which we did try to retro fit an Absolute Fidelity power cord to, but Gary and i decided it was not worth the effort.

so i feel i've got power cords that do measure up to the potential of the Equi=tech and the rest of the gear.

power cords; check.

i did also break in the Furutech GTX-D duplex outlets which i am now using for the 458's. i have 5 of these GTX-D outlets along the front wall for amps; and had only been using the outside 2 for the subs on the MM3's and the middle one for the dart 108 stereo amp. 3 months ago i started using the other 2 GTX-D's on either side of the middle one alternating 6 weeks on each with my 108 to get them well cooked in prior to the arrival of the 458's.

and what's this 'Uncle Mike' stuff?

Thanks for the cable input , you have really covered all your bases , as for the Uncle Mike stuff , just a show of respect for one ahead and on his game , plus Jordan already has dibs on the "just wanting to be like Mike " ....:)

Uncle Mike was available ..:)

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Thanks for the video. I can get a sense of the sound. The dynamics were excellent.

I still can't imagine why audiophiles skeptics are not begging for a chance to audition your system. You have addressed every issue I can think of regarding audio playback. If nothing else they could enjoy some good music and company.

Who says they're not , frankly and sound aside , Mike's pursuit , effort and determination is off the charts and very inspirational and not just in an audio kind of way ....

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
The recording on the Zeel/MM7 video was one I made last weekend at a jazz club in Portland. I used the old E. D. Nunn/Audiophile RF tube condenser omni microphones(which are line level without any transformers and use B&K 4147 measurement capsules) going straight into the Korg 2000S line inputs at double DSD. The mics were spaced about 6 feel apart. These were the first time the microphones had been used since Nunn retired in the early 80s! I love them :)
The Korg is a sweet recorder and the Playback Designs is stunning for playback. Here is a short video of the actual concert/recording with a bad view of the microphones and Korg in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-xPYpwrxjY&feature=channel&list=UL

Rich

Is this for your personal collection or for resale ...?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing