The music we listen to.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Simple answer is no

I thrive on rock, pop and heavy metal so if it were me looking into the room with that sound I would have entered and listened for a while

Steve, I like a little heavy metal myself, once in awhile. Tends to get the cobwebs out:). Which reminds me of when I went into the Edge room at the prior Newport Show. No one was in the room, except the distributor...sorry, cannot remember his name, and I put on my rip of the Vertigo UK pressing of Black Sabbath- Master of Reality and we cranked it. For all of ten minutes, the two of us had a BIG smile on our face and we enjoyed the music. Then, the distributor noticed that too many people were opening the door, listening for a few seconds and moving on. So back to the Jazz sampler;) As i left the room, the man says to me...thanks for a little fresh air:D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
----I was sitting in my living room one day and listening to some smooth Jazz by John Coltrane.
A friend of mine who I did not see for a very long time came to visit.
Talked-talked ..., she then proceeded to check one of my walls (Rock music section).
She grabbed Sleater-Kinney - 'All Hands On The Bad One'.
Put it in the CD tray and pressed the 'Play' button.

...She started moving standing up! ...But bending her body too towards the floor and the ceiling at the same time!

No more Coltrane for this baby! :D

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I listen to everything, except rap. Rap isn't music.
I admit that I have a special place for female vocalists, however.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I listen to everything, except rap. Rap isn't music.
I admit that I have a special place for female vocalists, however.

There is one "Rap" song that I do like and can really get in to.

It's a tune by US 3 called "Cantaloop". It starts of with an introduction from Birdland's own MC Pee Wee Marquette. It's really a catchy tune!

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

It's a tune by US 3 called "Cantaloop". It starts of with an introduction from Birdland's own MC Pee Wee Marquette. It's really a catchy tune!

I'm sure everyone knows the riff is from Herbie Hancock's "Cantaloupe Island" from the 1964 Blue Note LP 'Empryean Isles'. Features killer trumpet by Freddie Hubbard. Ironically, Cantaloop is the biggest seller in Blue Note history!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm sure everyone knows the riff is from Herbie Hancock's "Cantaloupe Island" from the 1964 Blue Note LP 'Empryean Isles'. Features killer trumpet by Freddie Hubbard. Ironically, Cantaloop is the biggest seller in Blue Note history!

-----More like it now! :cool:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

+1. That entire album is actually quite good.

I thought this was always referred to as being "Acid Jazz"?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
A music loving co worker of mine from about 20 years ago told me there is only two types of music...good music and bad music.

I listen to anything that provides an emotional connection to the performer, metal, classic rock, pop, classic country, R&B, jazz, classical etc.

The only two genres I really can't listen to are Rap/Hip Hop and Opera. Just no connection for me.

I also read many year ago, that If It Is Too Loud, You Are Too Old. I live by those words.

I also defy anyone hear and challenge posters here to a friendly "eclectic war".

Here are the performers I have listened to over the past 48 hours:

Laura Nyro
Beach Boys
The Cult
Monster Magnet
It's A Beautiful Day
Santana
Norah Jones
u2
The Stranglers
Ed Harcourt
Mark Lanegan
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Neil Young
Pat Metheney
Brian Blade Fellowship

After contemplating the WAF thread, I asked my wife last night to come and take a listen to the wonderful Patricia Barber LP of The Cole Porter Mix. This time, the wife was agreeable to take a listen. After about thirty seconds, she says to me, this isn't my kind of music and although i can see she is impressed by the sound, she gets up and leaves.

I had noticed at THE SHOW newport that a similar thing occurred in one of the rooms that i visited....they were playing some heavy metal on very large speakers. The minute any visitors peaked into the room and heard this music, they made an abrupt exit.
My conclusion is that maybe us a'philes are typically listeners of jazz, some classical and blues and a little country...NO Hip Hop and not much metal, Pop or hard rock.

Problem for the hobby is that I believe many of the younger listeners are into Hip Hop and Pop ( my wife's favorite) vs. the above. Does our hobby have to appeal only to a certain type of music listener?:confused::confused:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Andre, I'd take the bet- everything from Bad Brains to Blood, Sweat and Tears, from Elizabeth McConchey to Crystal Gale, from Bernard Hermann to Skip James.
God I love Laura Nyro- what a brilliant songwriter she was.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Count me among those who listen to almost anything .. :) That includes Hip-Hop and rap ... by the way and these days more than I ever thought I would Opera.. The only Genre I don't care much about and will investigate is salsa ...

Since we are talking about acid Jazz You should give this group a listen very interesting ...very catchy ... Listen to it throughout ..It develops very nicely and lands
Saint Germain
This Tune is called Rose Rouge

from the Album Tourist ...

51V-MPcEuaL._SS400_.jpg

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Hi

Count me among those who listen to almost anything .. :) That includes Hip-Hop and rap ... by the way and these days more than I ever thought I would Opera..
Opera is certainly a genre that I'm a starting into slowly myself as a novice.

Heck a few yrs ago my wise ass response on the genre was I love Opera I just have issues when the singing starts,

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Heck a few yrs ago my wise ass response on the genre was I love Opera I just have issues when the singing starts,
Hehe.....that's about where I am right now. Still can't quite enjoy it. While I can appreciate what they do, I just can't get myself to want to listen to it. Maybe one day but right now, I'm not seeing it happen.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---Music we Listen to; so many genres.
And with each individual's evolution (musical journey), we all develop more refined taste, I think.

When I started (60s), I was big on Classical; today, I'm even bigger on Classical.
And between all these years, I went every genre & style.
But the ones that run through my veins are the Blues players, the Jazz players,
and the Classical Operas (Live on the r.a.d.i.o.).
But I luv it all. ...Folk, World, Soul, Classic Rock, New Rock, New Age, Alternative, some Metal, Reggae, Abstract, Obscure, Underground, Incognito, and Angelical. :b

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
---Music we Listen to; so many genres.
And with each individual's evolution (musical journey), we all develop more refined taste, I think.

When I started (60s), I was big on Classical; today, I'm even bigger on Classical.
And between all these years, I went every genre & style.
But the ones that run through my veins are the Blues players, the Jazz players,
and the Classical Operas (Live on the r.a.d.i.o.).
But I luv it all. ...Folk, World, Soul, Classic Rock, New Rock, New Age, Alternative, some Metal, Reggae, Abstract, Obscure, Underground, Incognito, and Angelical. :b

Love the blues, and while i have a real thing against 'audiophile' records, that 45 rpm junior wells/buddy guy hoodoo man blues record, track 'in the wee wee hours' is one of the greatest sounding blues records i have- most blues records are not so sonically spectacular. there is a bb king/bobby blue bland live together again record where they do a medley, and in the call and response, a woman in the audience just wails it out, on key.
we used to go to those store front churches on atlantic avenue in brooklyn, sorta gospel, sorta blues, an element of the Caribbean going on there too- we were obviously not part of the community, but were always made to feel welcome. I was a little disappointed that on our visit to Memphis recently, we could not find blues- we found blues rock (which I dig), but no 'country blues.' the bbq was magnificent, though.
I still find the skip james original recordings, including 'devil got my woman' some of the most haunting; i also love the gospel aspect of blind willie johnson's 'Dark was the Night' (as well as his rendition of "it's nobody's fault but mine"). This stuff crosses over into other forms of country, which is what got me going on that. Ditto, on Western Swing. We were in a club on lower Broad in Nashville last fall visiting a friend who is a session guy. He brought us to Robert's Western (where, on the floor above, Sho-Bud pedal steel guitars were made). Our friend is a multi-instrumental genius- he whipped out his clarinet, and the western band, with an 84 y/o violinist, joined him, as he swung into duke Ellington.
Another guy i really dig, and always try to see is Johnny A out of Boston. He basically sounds like Wes Montgomery, but then he overlays hard rock licks on top of his own arpeggiated chords, and can mix Hendrix with Django, with Duane Allman with Jimmy Page, all in one song!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, I'd take the bet- everything from Bad Brains to Blood, Sweat and Tears, from Elizabeth McConchey to Crystal Gale, from Bernard Hermann to Skip James.
God I love Laura Nyro- what a brilliant songwriter she was.

Laura Nyro was a pure an unadulterated original talent who left too soon unfortunately.

Crystal Gayle had a magical voice as well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Some Blues record labels ...

---Bill (whart), good Blues Record labels are:
APO (Analogue Productions Originals), AQ (AudioQuest Music), Telarc Blues,
Audio Fidelity (Original Blues Masterpieces), EarthBeat, Private Music,
Rounder, Blue Thumb Records, Okeh/550 Music, Pointblank, Red House Records,
ECD (Evidence), Opus3, Back Porch Records, Blind Pig Records, HOB (House of Blues),
Rykodisc, Atlantic Blues Records, Mapleshade Records
, just to name a few.

And always go with SACDs, or JVC XRCD, or [HDCD] encoded CDs, or High Res Audio CDs ...*
Get the very Best of Blues - BoB

*...Or LPs. ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
...More good Blues record labels.

---You can also add to that list from above:

ALCD (Alligator Records), Silvertone Records, Stony Plain Records,
BBB (Bullseye Blues Basics) => Rounder Records Corp., Tremor Records (Canada),
Fat Possum Records (Epitaph), Ruf Records => Blues Music Association.
:b

* This is just a very small list (this post and the one above) of some of the best Blues record labels. There are so many more ...

** By the way, some of my best friends are Blues musicians.

Last edited:

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
I always assumed audiophiles chose easy listening, adult contemporary, family friendly, emotionless, awful music because it was well recorded. RMAF was my first show experience and pretty much every room was playing something I would never listen to at home. I've heard plenty of well recorded music, but there's a limited amount of music in the world that really grabs me and only a subset of that is well recorded. I have yet to experience a really well recorded piece that grabs me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing