The Music or the Gear?

stnsw

Apr 5, 2021
To return a bit to the beginning of this thread, I am interested in the difference between music and sound. I enjoyed music as much on the clock radio I was given when I was 13 (in 1960) as at any time since. I now have the gear to enjoy the sound of it as well. I find I listen differently. Perhaps because I am older I simply experience the music as it passes through. Listening when young I would notice the melody at the beginning of a symphony and watch it reappear and change--I listened to the various voices and layers. Perhaps I am too old now to do that; perhaps I am distracted by the better sound or do not need to pay attention to intellectual content when I have more emotional content... When at the dentist's a while back I found myself listening to a familiar baroque concerto and again it was what you might call "just the notes", without the sensual involvement that I have become used to. On reflection, you can enjoy music on the simplest clock radio, but listening to the music in better sound at one level or another, is simply different. Listening with a better soundstage is different. Live music is separate again. I can't go to live music except with an amount of work that makes it too hard to enjoy, so I am not trying to do that, but I miss being in an audience more than I miss listening to the music live.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have not thought about this deeply, but my initial reaction is that I would like:

"they are here" for girl with guitar and solo vocals and for chamber music

"I am there" for classical symphony orchestra performances, for live jazz musical performances and for live rock musical performances

I have heard girl with guitar on small stages, old wooden churches, and large living rooms. They all sound different and if the recording is in those venues and the information is captured, I want to be transported to where the performance took place.

Gregorian chanting in a stone cathedral is also something I don’t want in my living room.

Republicoftexas69

For me it is the music, the gear is just a tool.

MagnusG

VIP/Donor
Oct 5, 2022
Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
I’m a bit surprised this old quote hasn’t come up yet, from a member in another forum addressing Alan Parsons:

"Audiophiles don’t use their equipment to listen to your music. Audiophiles use your music to listen o their equipment."

Personally I’m willing to pay for anything that positively enhance the listening experience. But I still like the quote.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I’m a bit surprised this old quote hasn’t come up yet, from a member in another forum addressing Alan Parsons:

"Audiophiles don’t use their equipment to listen to your music. Audiophiles use your music to listen o their equipment."

Yes, I like this quote too. I have posted it at least twice on various threads here.

Reactions: MagnusG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing