the mercedes benz 4matic all wheel drive system

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Washington DC had the worst snow system in history. Businesses were shut down for an entire week. I have owned tow wheel drive vehicles. Yes my jeep Cherokee navigated tough terrain like a mountain goat. It is however a truck designed specifically for that purpose. The MB E350 4matic is a luxury vehicle which normally gives no hint ht it even has 4 wheel drive.

During the snow storm it was literraly "brush and go." With every mile it inspired more confidence. SUV owners were jealous as I passed them by. The bonus was that with its low center of gravity, it had zero risk of roll over.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think one of the best things that has happened in the world of cars as of late is wide availability of all-wheel-drive. Having gotten stuck in my old BMW on 2 inches of snow, I sure can appreciate the concept :).

What kind of tires does the E350 have? I thought most of these came with comfortable/quiet/all-season tires which didn't have great traction including stopping power in snow. Were you on stock tires or winter replacement?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Stock tires. Dead quiet at highway speed. Some wind noise but not from tires. AWD is a bonus in the rain also.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
you guys keep talking about snow.Brrrrrr

Winter was the reason I moved to California in 1978. Being an Ob/Gyn and frequently rushing to the hospital in the middle of the night for a delivery was often tantamount to taking your life in your hands in snowy conditions regardless of your car or tires.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Steve my Jeep was excellent in on flooded roads. With Global warming and earthquakes you might be needing it.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
4wd/AWD is pretty awesome.

As for as claims for it's usefulness, I once parallel parked on a hilly street, no snow on the ground on a spring day. There under the shade of a tree was the last patch of ice under my rear tire on my Geo Tracker which was in RWD mode. I was stuck on the hill spinning my wheels trying to park my car, how frustrating. I got out of the car, locked the front hubs and was easily able to finish parking. The Tracker was awesome locked in 4WD, but in 2WD on wet surfaces it was a danger to anything around it with it's short wheel base it was bound to be spin happy.

The 4matic in the first post is something I've only heard/read good things about.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing