The luxury - sports continuum

caesar

May 30, 2010
As car design has progressed, how much of the driving experience has been gained? And how much has been lost due to luxury? My father's 5 series BMW is definitely not the ultimate driving machine BMW claims it is. It is more of an ultimate luxury machine. No, it's not as bad as Lexus, which has the feel of a nearly-dead man getting his morphine drip. But it's not as raw as my cousin's 8 year old M5.

A friend of mine who loves vintage stuff brought over 1968 Mercury Cougar to my house. That car has a BIGASS V8 engine and exudes that James Dean cool, but it is a bear to drive. After cruising around for a while, we hopped into my Audi A7. The Audi also has the cool, modern looks, and is fast, and handles very well for a sedan. In a nutshell, the Audi had everything that the Mercury had, but was better, smoother, and more civilized. And it didn't have any of the "bad" that the Cougar has. But is the raw feel of the Cougar all bad?

Personally, I like my car to communicate with me, but I am not a race car driver, so I don't mind some refinement and a somewhat more forgiving ride. Where do you guys sit on the luxury - sports continuum?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I used to drive an E46 M3 with a 6 speed manual transmission. I just loved the scream of its 8,500 redline. Extremely balanced and communicative BUT controls could get heavy after some exertion and the ride was unforgiving. Back from the hills and stuck in Manila traffic and my left calf would feel like it was made of stone. I'd say it was a true sports car but one on the heavy side. Best part about it was as a golf nut, it had a boot that could easily fit take my staff bag.

Now I drive a C63 AMG. 7 speed auto, 4 doors. It's not as precise, has a ride that's quite firm but not filling loosening and doesn't scream. It roars. The torque can pin me past 130mph at which point I'm either out of road or chicken out. Most of the time it's the latter. It's a much faster car for sure. MUCH. I like however how if I'm not being immature it drives about the city like our civilized but boring e350. It being silver and the styling only recognizable to car people, I also like how I don't get ricers bugging me for road races. That's something that happened pretty often with the Imola Red M3 Coupe.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing