The Last Emperor -- technical review

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Last Emperor

2:1, 1987, Criterion

Here is a title destined for controversy. If you haven't already heard, Emperor was originally released in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, but here Criterion, at the insistence of the Cinematographer, Vittorio Storaro, with the approval of Bernardo Bertolucci, has released the blu-ray in 2:1.

This means some information has been lost from the sides of the frame. Most of the time this is not particularly distracting, but I have to say that I really would have preferred the original aspect ratio -- I think it added to the epic feel of the film and even though, once you accept the new aspect ratio, it is mostly not a distraction, it does noticeably intrude a few times and you become aware of the effect of the new narrower (but taller) framing.

Natural grain is reproduced well and is consistent throughout, some thin ringing noted a few times on high contrast edges. Some are going be disappointed because occasionally there are scenes with a slightly soft and dim appearance.

Personally, I believe this is due to Mr. Storaro's exquisite and masterful use of soft natural light. It takes a lot of skill to shoot in such light and to achieve the type of results he does. If you consider the quality of the light Mr. Storaro captures and the amount of shadow detail you're getting, I think you'll be impressed. IMO, it is really beautiful.

Black levels are excellent, detail is not always as apparent as it might have been with more light, but there are plenty of sharper scenes with more light, lots of detail, saturation, excellent contrast, beautiful use of color, faces detailed down to the pores and imperfections, exquisite fine detail in fabric and clothing, single strands of hair, arresting imagery, and impressive scenery. Aspect ratio issues aside, this is a significant upgrade in PQ from the DVD and unless the film maker changes his mind and approves another release with the original aspect ratio, this is likely the best option you're going to have if you want to collect this title on blu-ray.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey rsbeck, that sure was quick! Thanks a lot for this review. Any clue in the extra features why Storaro insisted on cropping his fine work?

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I already had that review written -- just needed to post it here. Glad to be able to do it. Like you, I love this film! Storaro apparently believes that 2:1 should be the standard for home video. I find that a little odd. Maybe in the days of DVD and 4:3 TV's, but to me it makes no sense when releasing it on blu-ray in today's age of 16:9 flat panels and with the proliferation of front projectors due the exponential increase in quality combined with substantial reduction in cost. I guess the short answer is that it is because he is an eccentric with the power to impose his notions on the A/V world.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing