The Last Black Man in San Francisco

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This might be the best movie I've seen all year but will not be for everyone. The cinematography is ravishing. OTOH, the pacing is slow and the plot appears thin; requiring the viewer to 'fill-in'.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The trailer looks very interesting and upon search MRQE.com rates it an 82% which is considered excellent

a synopsis...

The Last Black Man in San Francisco (2019) Movie Reviews
Cast: Jimmie Fails, Jonathan Majors, Rob Morgan, Tichina Arnold, Danny Glover, Mike Epps, Finn Wittrock, Thora Birch, Jamal Trulove, Daewon Song
Director: Joe Talbot
Writer: Joe Talbot, Rob Richert
Running Time: 120 min.
Synopsis:
Jimmie Fails has one hope in life: to reclaim the majestic Victorian house his grandfather built. Every week, Jimmie and his only friend, Montgomery, make a pilgrimage across San Francisco to Jimmie's dream home and imagine what life would be like if this neighborhood had never changed. When they realize the house's current owners have moved out, Jimmie decides to recreate the home his family once had. As he struggles to reconnect with his family and reconstruct the community he longs for, Jimmie's domestic aspirations blind him to reality

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Will be watching soon.

Steve Williams

We watched this last night On Demand

Running time about 2 hours which for me seemed too long for this movie

I thought it to be an interesting story and told well but I just didn't have the same feeling as jazdoc that this was the best movie he has seen this year. TBH I don't have a Best Movie yet this year

I thought it to be "just OK"

Overall ratings for the film were positive but long and short it came and went quickly from the theaters and is already On Demand

The story was written by the 2 stars and I noticed Brad Pitt and Maya Rudolph were Executive Producers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any sign of the Human Excrement Cleaning teams that are all over SF?
Or is SF portrayed as the liberal metropolitan utopia fantasy that doesn't exist anymore?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, my broader point is that everything today in film has to look perfect. Which lends itself to flimsy fairytale stotytelling, maybe no relation to reality. This trailer looks guilty of such. Bears no reality to SF as is.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Do you watch Peaky Blinders?
I can tell you right now there was nothing beautiful in inter-war Britain.
And yet the photography tells you otherwise.

Steve Williams

The trailer was rather full of praise and pride.

It was and it rated high so no problems there.Perhaps if it had been slightly shorter it might have worked better for me

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'll see the film eventually, and if it moves my "mojo" I too will share some.
Some films not everyone see the same things, very normal.

Just from the trailer I like the camera movements, the personal intimacy with San Francisco's cachet. I was happy that jazdoc posted it, and still am.

The Victorian house built by his grandfather and lost by his father; very nice. It makes me wanting to see it, like a good book, a good musical piece.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I am happy that he posted it as well.Because of his post I saw it The camera work and editing is excellent. My only negative was that I felt it to be too long and as a result made for a slow moving story

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I haven’t seen this movie yet, but as a native San Franciscan the story if based on a actual family story,sounds interesting.
My Father grew up in Ocean View which in the late 1950’s under went a transformation from mostly Italian and Irish immigrants to African Americans. My Dad always enjoyed and had many new friends as the neighborhood changed. His business was located down the street from his parents house.
I don’t recall any Victorians in Ocean View but there could have been. I’ll ask my Dad tonight.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've read couple reviews to that effect...with scenes languishing and repetitive.
I was going to guess that it could have been trimmed by roughly 30 minutes, and I've read one reviewer after who mentioned that amount of time (pure guess from my part).

It seems that it has a beautiful music score too...very important in a good film...a poetic film.

In general from all sources this movie is a must see according to pro film reviewers.

* Jazdoc might not have always the best taste on music selections (YouTube music videos ;):D) but he has a sharp and unique sense of humor, he's an avid book reader (a good quality in my book), and his taste in films have a special essence.
All in all he's pretty good, nice to have around...we can learn more good than bad. :cool:

I'm a little humorous here, as he is sometimes with his music videos.
You can tell a person's character by his books (reading), his music taste (listening), films and documentaries (viewing), and cars (driving).
The rest; where we live, with who, our home, our family and friends, our fishing boat, our vacationing, our eating habits, our favorite sports, favorite news media, the way our lawn and garden looks, how we cut our grass, feed our pets, water our plants, kitchens, libraries, listening rooms, movie rooms, bathrooms, home maintenance and appliances, ... it's all part of our taste in films and music and beyond. ...Snapshots.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Another film that is too long. "It Chapter 2" is nigh on 3 hrs. Just what is this trend, well over a decade now, to drag out films interminably?

Can't we get back to the 1'30"-50" film, w 2'30" reserved for genuine masterpieces of storytelling?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Another film that is too long. "It Chapter 2" is nigh on 3 hrs. Just what is this trend, well over a decade now, to drag out films interminably?

Can't we get back to the 1'30"-50" film, w 2'30" reserved for genuine masterpieces of storytelling?

Many Bollywood films are almost 3 hours but have a lot of song and dance to pad it up

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, a visit to the bar to do the same. Average movie length is a massive disincentive to see films like this.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I enjoyed every minute of the film and didn’t think it was long at all.
It did remind me of San Francisco, staying in Twin Peaks, trips to Castro and Folsom street, and chilling in Calistoga.

Reactions: jazdoc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing