VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
That looks like a great movie.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Ah, story about father of computing! I am in. All the way. Seems great.
You've got to admit using a computer(math device) to manipulate, equate, move alphanumeric char's in coded form was quite novel at the time.
Years ago PBS, Nova I believe, did a 2 or 3 parter on this.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw the film this afternoon and in short summary this movie is not to be missed. I am thinking I might have to revise my thoughts for Best Picture and Best Actor because simply put the film is truly that good.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays English mathematician and logician, Alan Turing who helps crack the Enigma code during World War II. Enigma was the code that the Nazis used during WW ll. The story is wonderfully told as it bounces back and forth in time until it becomes evident that Turing was an homosexual which was against the law in England where apparently between 1867 and 1950 thee were 40,000 homosexual men who were charged. This ultimately led to his downfall and arrest where he admitted to the police what he had done during the war as his role in the war had been completely kept secret from the British people as they did not want to reveal that they had cracked the code in case the Germans used it in yet another war. He was arrested and charged with "indecency" and ultimately destroyed his career and he committed suicide in 1951 at age 41.

Keira Knightley is also very good and almost certainly will receive a nomination.

The story is well told and definitely a thumbs up as this one is 4.5/5 stars

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve
Thanks for the update. We will be seeing it in a few hours. Currently my two favorite pictures of the year are Calvary and Theory of Everything. It sounds like this could supplant them both.

Steve Williams

It is an absolutely wonderful film. Benedict Cumberbatch gives quite a performance. And to learn that these people had to keep their secret from the world was amazing until it became known some 50 years later and after he committed suicide. Queen Elizabeth later granted him a pardon posthumously as everyone knew this man was the father of the present day computer

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have to agree with Steve, this is a wonderful movie. Cumberbatch's performance is surely Oscar caliber. For me it is a tough call between him and Redmayne in "Theory of Everything". The supporting cast is spot on too. I really enjoyed how the story developed and was presented to the audience.

For me this is right there with Calvary for Best Picture followed by Theory of Everything.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
We saw the film a few days ago.

It was EXCELLENT.

Steve Williams

We saw the film a few days ago.

It was EXCELLENT.

I was glued to the screen from start to finish. Great story and perfectly told and magnificently acted.

I must agree with Jim that Eddie Redmayne was also superb and another great movie in The Theory Of Everything

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Good movie. Kind of wanted more on how the machine worked- but i'm a math dork I guess :) Preferred the King's Speech more, but good flick. 4/5 stars. Still think Gone Girl is my fav movie of a sad 2014 slate.

Steve Williams

Good movie. Kind of wanted more on how the machine worked- but i'm a math dork I guess :) Preferred the King's Speech more, but good flick. 4/5 stars. Still think Gone Girl is my fav movie of a sad 2014 slate.

I've seen 6 movies this year that I consider candidates for Best Picture.

These are

The Imitation Game
Foxcatcher
The Theory of Everything
Birdman
Whiplash
Unbroken

I expect two more to be added
Selma
American Sniper

Of the 6 I have seen The Imitation Game hands down would be my vote for the Oscar. That might change once I see those 2 movies.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Saw this tonight and thought it was by far the best movie of the year. It's been a while since I read "The Enigma" but my memory is that it was quite faithful to the book. I also look forward to "American Sniper"...the book was fabulous.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Absolutely not to be missed.

Steve Williams

For me the biggest toss up is who will win Best Actor

My 3 choices are

Michael Keaton in Birdman
Benedict Cumberbatch in Imitation Game
Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything

All 3 IMO are deserving but the award goes to Michael Keaton

For those who didn't see Birman it also is not to be missed

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've seen 6 movies this year that I consider candidates for Best Picture.

These are

The Imitation Game
Foxcatcher
The Theory of Everything
Birdman
Whiplash
Unbroken

I expect two more to be added
Selma
American Sniper

Of the 6 I have seen The Imitation Game hands down would be my vote for the Oscar. That might change once I see those 2 movies.

Most of my Hollywood insider friends like Boyhood and Imitation Game best.

American Sniper next up for me.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Finally had a chance to watch this movie last night and I must agree with everyone that it was outstanding. Certainly a movie that deserves to be added to my Blu-ray collection as it holds a high degree of replay value.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
We watched the movie last weekend. Wonderful acting by Benedict Cumberbatch which drew me into the movie. Although the storyline had a few too many contrivances. Examples: Alan Turing's letter to Churchill resulting in his elevation to leader; the revelation common words and phrases were preventing the "computer" from breaking the german code. I'm also not a big fan of Keira Knightley's acting abilities as her portrayals always have the same character traits.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing