The Hobbit- finally over

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
While not a bad film (see the first installment), the 3rd film is just a bit tedious to the end. Unfortunately the trilogy's best character is a dragon (voiceover by the superb Benedict Cumberbatch) and therein lies the problem with the final installment as that story line is taken away in the first half hour. All that remains is a 90 minute "epic" battle that while it had some cool parts (the Elven warriors), I felt John Woo had a part in the ending where Legolas rides a Giant into a stone column to create a bridge to save the girl. There really was not much plot - The Return of the King was a much better movie. The Thorin section in the middle dragged on and on and on...

Unlike the LOTR, the Hobbit never had characters that demanded your attention- despite the lame attempt to create a love story between Elf and Dwarf. I believe Peter Jackson should have hired a Guillermo del Toro type director (who originally was supposed to do LOTR i believe) for the second trilogy and provide a different perspective on middle earth. Jackson created a visual spectacle and succeeded in some parts, but dragging the series to three movies took its toll on moviegoers like myself and the action wasn't all that different from the first trilogy.

I'll give the Five Armies a B, but can't say I want to watch any of the three movies again. Contrast this to LOTR which I watch annually.

KeithR

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We saw each of them on 3D in the theater during Christmas...funny actually...we only just realized this. Anyway, the ONE thing about this movie vs the first HObbit was...the first 45 minutes of the first HObbit was like...they're STILL eating dinner?!?! This one was pretty steady throughout...a mix of action, personal challenges, King Under the Mountain struggling from Dragon Sickness (ie, greed)...

...to be honest, i will probably get this one as well...and watch it from time to time in 20-30 minutes like i usually do with the rest of them...all the fun parts.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
While I totally respect the film craft that went into this picture, sadly I felt it fell very flat on the character and plot front.

If they wanted a true prequel, they should've done one with real continuity, Sauron as the baddie. His rise and *first* fall.

The Hobbit should have been left a children's tale.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I believe Peter Jackson should have hired a Guillermo del Toro type director (who originally was supposed to do LOTR i believe) for the second trilogy

KeithR

He did!
Del Toro to my knowledge was the original director for The Hobbit. Delays on production caused him to back out as it was creating issues with his other planned projects. Jackson then took over. I'm quite sure he is given credit as one of the script writers since was he was very involved during preproduction of The Hobbit.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Del Toro is indeed credited in 5 Armies. I saw his name onscreen. If I'm not mistaken, Del Toro got the green light for The Strain so he had to bail.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
What really caught my attention in this 3rd movie was the incredible hyper-detail in the scenes. Also the digital characters and scenery was far better than in the first or second movie where some things were obviously rushed, or given to the intern instead of the senior digital artists.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What really caught my attention in this 3rd movie was the incredible hyper-detail in the scenes. Also the digital characters and scenery was far better than in the first or second movie where some things were obviously rushed, or given to the intern instead of the senior digital artists.

Agree...i also really enjoyed the 3D this time, whereas i often feel like 3D just 'throws a baseball at you' just to say, 'look! 3D!"...this time, the burning city, the aerial shots, the sweeping landscapes, and even townscape scenes really seemed to show that directors/cinematographers are really starting to understand more and more what can be done in shooting 3D. Cool.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing