The Butler

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Those who know me know that not only am I an audiophile but so also a lover of the film industry. I enjoy putting up trailers here on interesting movies and every year host an Academy Awards Party. I see a lot of movies each year and do a lot of reviews here. Rarely do I stand on my seat and applaud for a truly great movie. In fact IMHO to date this year there has not been a truly great movie and worthy of garnering many nominations and walk away with most of the Oscars until The Butler. This movie is so good that it should be required viewing by all high school students when civil rights are discussed. This story is based on the life of Eugene Allen, who worked as a butler in the White House during eight presidential administrations. To watch Forest Whitaker age in this film is uncanny and a nomination for Best Makeup would also be likely. The cast is absolutely incredible with cameo appearances played by remarkable actors as the presidents under whom he served. The film is ever so slightly long at 132 minutes but I can say that for me it went by all too quickly as I was riveted as it brought back memories of the 60's and 70's. I didn't move in my seat. The story is well told albeit quickly in certain parts. This film is truly a Must See. It will be shown for years to come as it shows so poignantly the brutality towards the African American community during the civil rights movement with excellent actual footage

The cast is so large that you must look it up. Oprah (of whom I am not a huge fan ) was magnificent as the butler's wife and I can see her getting the nomination for Best Actress and quite possibly winning.

For all you movie buffs this is an absolute "must see"

Steve Williams

Black Man, White House, and History

Nobody who has seen “Shadowboxer,” “Precious” or, heaven knows, “The Paperboy” would mistake Lee Daniels for a realist. Nonetheless, his new film — released, as a result of a ridiculous film industry food fight, with the ungainly official title “Lee Daniels’ The Butler” — is a brilliantly truthful movie on a subject that is usually shrouded in wishful thinking, mythmongering and outright denial.

Witnesses to History, Some Still Unfolding
By FELICIA R. LEE--The New York Times
“Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” opening on Friday, is a story that should be told, say its stars, Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey.

Movie Review: 'Lee Daniels' The Butler'

Anne Marie Fox/Weinstein Company
Forest Whitaker in "Lee Daniels' The Butler."
Taking inspiration from an article by Wil Haygood in The Washington Post about the life of Eugene Allen, who worked as a butler in the White House during eight presidential administrations, Mr. Daniels has told the story of the civil rights movement in the bold colors of costume pageantry and the muted tones of domestic drama. He also throws in a few bright splashes of crazy, over-the-top theatricality, in the form of outrageous period-appropriate outfits and startling celebrity cameos, as well as dabs of raucous comedy. You may hear it said, in praise of “The Butler,” that it shows this director in a more restrained, responsible frame of mind than his earlier films did. This may be true — most movies not directed by John Waters can be described as more restrained than “The Paperboy” — but it misses both the subtlety of Mr. Daniels’s previous movies and the wild exuberance of this one.

The history of racism in America, and of efforts to overcome it, is usually addressed by Hollywood with a solemn, anxious, churchly hush and flattened into a tableau of villains and saints. Mr. Daniels and the screenwriter, Danny Strong, understand that both the horror and the heroism are connected with everything else that makes America such a complicated, interesting, appalling and glorious place: our politics, our popular culture, our deepest desires and our simplest habits. Making the topic safe and boring is no good for anyone.

The history of repression, protest and reform did not just happen on the abstract plane of activism and politics, but also in the lives of ordinary families, who were always doing more than just suffering and struggling. The genius of “The Butler” lies in the sly and self-assured way it connects public affairs to private experience. Early on, Cecil Gaines, the character loosely based on Mr. Allen, is taught that he, like every other African-American who wants to survive in a white-dominated world, must have two faces. This practical advice is an echo of W. E. B. Du Bois’s idea, articulated in “The Souls of Black Folk,” of the “double consciousness” at the heart of the black experience in America. “We wear the mask that grins and lies” is how the poet Paul Laurence Dunbar bitterly summarized the duplicity imposed by post-Civil War white supremacy on its emancipated but disenfranchised victims.

As a child, Cecil, living on a Georgia cotton farm, is exposed to the most brutal manifestations of Jim Crow, in scenes whose blunt shock lingers over the film’s gentler, funnier moments. The sight of lynched bodies swinging in front of an American flag and the terrible fates of Cecil’s parents (David Banner and Mariah Carey) imprint themselves on him and on the audience. Forest Whitaker, who plays Cecil as an adult, wears his own face as an impassive, benign mask, gazing kindly and patiently at employers who cannot fathom the pain behind it.

These employers are all the American presidents from Eisenhower to Reagan. Mr. Allen began his White House service under Truman, but altering the chronology allows Mr. Daniels and Mr. Strong to match Cecil’s career with the rise of the civil rights movement. Just as Cecil takes up his new job, Dwight D. Eisenhower (yes, that really is Robin Williams) is debating whether to send federal troops to Little Rock, Ark., to desegregate the public schools. Ike’s successors, played with sketch-comedy verve by other familiar performers, will find themselves in similar predicaments, as sit-ins, freedom rides and voter registration drives in the South are met with tear gas, attack dogs and firebombs.

But it is important to emphasize that “The Butler,” unlike almost every other movie about race in America, is not primarily about the moral awakening of white people. Nor does it neatly divide whites into snarling bigots and paragons of tolerance. There are certainly instances of raw prejudice and of sincere decency, but the presidents are complex and contradictory creatures. Lyndon B. Johnson (Liev Schreiber) spews racial slurs even as he prepares to sign the most sweeping civil rights legislation since Lincoln. Ronald Reagan (Alan Rickman) treats the black White House staff more fairly than any of his predecessors — his wife, Nancy (yes, that is Jane Fonda) invites Cecil to a state dinner — but fails to grasp the moral enormity of South African apartheid. They all appreciate Cecil’s service without ever quite seeing him fully as a person. “The room should feel empty when you’re in it,” he is told by supervisors, and he becomes adept at disappearing in plain sight.

Cecil, whose job involves a lot of performance, is a fiercely disciplined actor, and the same can be said of Mr. Whitaker, who demonstrates how gracefully his character walks the line between dignity and servility. But Cecil’s working life as an invisible man in the highest precincts of power is only one layer of this film. It is also interested in showing his other face. And so the camera follows him into the kitchens and back rooms of the White House and revels in his easy, irreverent camaraderie with Carter Wilson (Cuba Gooding Jr.) and James Holloway (Lenny Kravitz), fellow butlers who become his close friends.

The three of them are part of Washington’s black lower-middle class, a milieu that Mr. Daniels depicts with a warm specificity that recalls the short fiction of Edward P. Jones. The cartoonish pomp of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is a world away from the home where Cecil and his wife, Gloria (Oprah Winfrey), raise their two sons, Louis (David Oyelowo) and Charlie (Elijah Kelley). Inside the family’s modest, gracious house, the film relaxes and slows down, and Mr. Daniels reveals himself, once again, to be singularly adept at capturing the informal rhythms of leisure. (Ms. Winfrey, meanwhile, demonstrates that, in addition to being the most famous and powerful woman in the world, she is a fine character actor.)

The raucous, funny classroom scenes in “Precious” balanced that movie’s operatic flights of social dysfunction, and the evenings at the Gaineses’ place — often attended by friends played by Terrence Howard and Adriane Lenox, speaking of fine character actors — serve a similar function here. History is recorded in the workings of power and the challenge of social movements, but it is lived by people who spend their spare time telling jokes, making love, getting drunk and wearing clothes that future generations will regard with envy and embarrassment. To rush through such moments would be to rob the movie of meaning as well as pleasure, so Mr. Daniels slows down and lets the characters breathe.

At other times, he sends them spinning breathlessly through the turmoil of the times. The movie’s dramatic engine is the difficult relationship between Cecil and Louis, his older son, who comes to resent his father’s cautious accommodation to the status quo. Louis, who attends Fisk University, becomes a kind of Zelig of ’60s racial politics. Often in the company of his classmate and sometime girlfriend, Carol (Yaya Alafia), he sits at a segregated Woolworth’s lunch counter, on a bus full of Freedom Riders, in the Lorraine Motel on the day of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination and in a Black Panther strategy session in Oakland. Louis’s presence in all those places (and a few more besides) is meant to be symbolic rather than literal — “The Butler” is in every way more of a fable than a biopic — but the anxiety and anger that his actions provoke in Cecil are entirely believable.

In part, their story is a chronicle of the generational misunderstanding that has occurred in upwardly mobile families of every background, especially in the baby boom era, when educated and restless young people turned against the parents who had sacrificed so much on their behalf. The Italian-American family in David Chase’s “Not Fade Away” is in similar crisis. But Cecil’s job and the rapid changes in the South and elsewhere add an acute and painful political dimension to their antagonism.

“The Butler” has the historical insight and the generosity of spirit to honor the father and the son equally, and to look with skepticism at each’s point of view. Louis can be courageous and principled, but when his radicalism turns foolish, the film does not hesitate to take his father’s side. Cecil, on the other hand, is blind to the intensity of his son’s convictions and the necessity of the work his son is doing, and his proud patriarchal stubbornness hurts everyone in the family.

But Cecil and Louis, in the end, are doing the same work: they are insisting that their country, at long last, recognize them as full citizens and human beings. Mr. Daniels measures how much of this work has been accomplished, at what cost and with what enemies and allies, and never lets us suppose that it is finished. He dedicates “The Butler” to “the heroes of the civil rights movement” and leaves no doubt that people like the title character — including the unsung maids, Pullman porters, janitors and kitchen workers who toiled far from the White House — belong in that category. We remember those who marched and who stood up for themselves in the face of injustice. It is good to remember that, to paraphrase Milton, they also stand who only wait and serve.

“Lee Daniels’ The Butler” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). Strong language, including racial slurs, and some violent scenes.

Lee Daniels’ The Butler

Opens on Friday.

Directed by Lee Daniels; written by Danny Strong, inspired by the article “A Butler Well Served by This Election,” by Wil Haygood; director of photography, Andrew Dunn; edited by Joe Klotz; music by Rodrigo Leão; production design by Tim Galvin; costumes by Ruth E. Carter; produced by Pamela Oas Williams, Laura Ziskin, Mr. Daniels, Buddy Patrick and Cassian Elwes; released by the Weinstein Company. Running time: 2 hours 10 minutes.

WITH: Forest Whitaker (Cecil Gaines), Oprah Winfrey (Gloria Gaines), Mariah Carey (Hattie Pearl), John Cusack (Richard M. Nixon), Jane Fonda (Nancy Reagan), Cuba Gooding Jr. (Carter Wilson), Terrence Howard (Howard), Lenny Kravitz (James Holloway), James Marsden (John F. Kennedy), David Oyelowo (Louis Gaines), Alex Pettyfer (Thomas Westfall), Vanessa Redgrave (Annabeth Westfall), Alan Rickman (Ronald Reagan), Liev Schreiber (Lyndon B. Johnson), Robin Williams (Dwight D. Eisenhower), Yaya Alafia (Carol Hammie), Aml Ameen (Cecil Gaines, age 15), Colman Domingo (Freddie Fallows), Nelsan Ellis (Martin Luther King Jr.) and Clarence Williams III (Maynard).

Steve Williams

"Lee Daniels' The Butler" opened to a strong $8.3 million Friday, putting the Forest Whitaker-Oprah Winfrey civil rights saga on pace for a debut weekend in the $25 million range.
That about $5 million over analysts' expectations and makes the Weinstein Company's decision to release the "The Butler" in 2,933 theaters, rather than the gradual platform release favored for most awards hopefuls, look like a good one. Mature and African-American moviegoers were the target audience and it was connecting: its $8,300 per-screen average was well ahead of anything else in the market on Friday

Steve Williams

'The Butler' Reviews: Is the Civil Rights Drama a Masterpiece or Maudlin?

"Lee Daniels' The Butler" is already generating Oscar buzz ahead of its Friday release.

Strong reviews for the movie should help its case with Academy members and viewers looking for a reprieve from summer blockbuster fare. The movie focuses on a quiet White House butler who serves the most powerful men in the free world under eight presidential administrations, examining the Civil Rights movement and changing attitudes towards social and political equality in the process.

Some critics have carped that the film is overly didactic and complained that Daniels' direction lacks subtlety, but the performances of stars Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey have earned high marks.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...il-rights-drama-masterpiece-or-maudlin-111111

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Am I the only one who has seen this film or am I the only one who feels it to be a wonderful movie and IMO the Best Movie of the year to date with Oscar stamped all over it

a facebook friend of mine with good judgement and taste in movies is of the exact same opinion and wrote a rave review. Regrettably, I am tethered to the Home Theater and will have to wait for the BR release.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I finally saw "The Butler" last night. Or, if you prefer the more ostentatious Hollywood title "Lee Daniel's "The Butler". Bottom line- it was certainly a good movie. But it was also an uneven one. Yes it was in part, maudlin, and for god's sake, whoever made a movie about racism or the Holocaust that wasn't worth watching for some reason? These are Hollywood staples, and if you throw in divorce, WWII or Vietnam, homosexuality and pick any three, you have hit the Hollywood trifecta.

In this case, the racism story has been played to death and in many ways to better effect, but this one still has gavitas and some good appeal. But that isn't what made the movie for me. The real appeal of the Butler is the story of human emotions and bonds. in that area, it is a triumph. The relationship of the central family members to each other and the outside world are very poignant and well done.

But the over-arching achievement of this movie is simply the acting. Stupendous doesn't quite do it justice. I am somewhat miffed that the poster for the movie does not obey the traditional Hollywood precedent of putting the lead actors' names over the marquis. Rather it lists all the significant actors. It's as if they are snubbing their nose at the Academy by saying: "you go figure out who should be nominated for best versus supporting in the acting categories. We're not going to pigeon hole anyone". (Traditionally, only the names above the marquis are considered for "best actor/actress"). Tradition not withstanding, the acting by Forest Whittaker was beyond the beyondo and surely makes him the front runner for what would be his second Best Acting Oscar (The Last King of Scotland, 2007 was his first). He was simply brilliant. Restrained and subtle acting to the extreme.

But the real revelation for me was Oprah Winfrey. This was a masterpiece performance. Say what you will about Oprah, whether it be fat Oprah, skinny Oprah, Hollywood Oprah, Good samaritan Oprah, shameless panderer to the audience Oprah- that woman can flat out act. Allow me to provide a precedent for acting that I have rarely seen equalled. It happened in the movie "Ben-Hur", when Charlton Heston crawls along the ground and is offered some water by a bystander. He looks up and realizes it is Jesus standing before him. His facial expression was unbelievable. He does not utter a word, but rather the look on his face is the only acting he needed to do in order to convince the world that, say what you will about him and his politics, it can be seen beyond a shadow of a a doubt from that one scene alone, the man was undoubtedly great actor. A great actor simply needs no words in some scenes to let everyone know just how great an actor they are. Fast forward to Oprah in the Butler. There is a scene which occurs at the end of her son's funeral (sorry for the spoiler- it was unavoidable) (right before the next scene which flashes "1974") which find Oprah just staring at the burial site. It must have lasted 5 seconds but the look on her face- the absolutely incredible combination or scowl, sadness, bewilderment, anger and dismay, made it seem as if it lasted an eternity. She said not a word. She didn't have to. To me, that scene is worth of the Oscar nod alone. As far the rest of the movie, she is simply a marvel. She nails the character of a loving wife and mother and reformed drunk with such seamless acting as she ages in the movie, that she deserves every accolade and award she will surely receive for that masterful performance. The woman can act. Man, can she act.

So go for the acting. Enjoy the movie. It really is one of the year's best thus far (which I think says something about the year, more than the movie!)

Steve Williams

I think you liked it too :)

as I said in my review, I am not an Oprah fan but I did say she will win the Oscar for Best Actress as will Forest Whitaker for Best Actor

and the makeup in the film is uncanny as you watch the characters age in the movie

The only acting I have seen by a female in a lead role this year that comes "almost" as close to Oprah is Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine

as I said it should be required viewing by all high school students

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I hesitate to see this movie because is sounds like another "Hollywood rewrites recent history" movie with the bizarre grandiosity and maudlin violins. I like my history unbent when possible, which makes it a bit more depressing, but there it is.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Am I the only one who has seen this film or am I the only one who feels it to be a wonderful movie and IMO the Best Movie of the year to date with Oscar stamped all over it

Steve
We saw it a week ago and both enjoyed it. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised that the movie is much more than "The Butler". It is his character that ties different stories in the movie together. Sort of like Forrest Gump. We take a ride through the Civil Rights movement thru his interactions with his family and the people he meet in the White House.

There are parts that were difficult to watch knowing that people were and probably still are treated this way.

I wouldn't say it is the best film I have seen this year but it could be the most important.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
What tops your list this year

The ones I have enjoyed so far include:
The Gatekeepers
Much Ado About Nothing
Before Midnight`

The ones coming shortly or I haven't seen yet include:

Paranoia
August: Osage County
Closed Circuit
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
12 Years A Slave
Captain Phillips
Salinger
The Artist and The Model

Steve Williams

The ones I have enjoyed so far include:
The Gatekeepers
Much Ado About Nothing
Before Midnight`

The ones coming shortly or I haven't seen yet include:

Paranoia
August: Osage County
Closed Circuit
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
12 Years A Slave
Captain Phillips
Salinger
The Artist and The Model

For sure, all of those coming. I have trailers of all these movies here

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Just got back from seeing The Butler, it's everything Steve says. I really enjoyed the balanced screen writing and handling of the time to portray each part of history.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'm usually pretty critical of films because I resent wasting my time watching lousy colored celluloid flash across the screen, but I have to say "The Butler" was an excellent film in all respects. The cast was superb and the story line and historical events kept you completely engrossed. I cannot think of a better film this year.

I strongly recommend seeing this film.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm just glad it took back the No.1 spot at the box office from One Direction! :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just saw this one. Beautiful movie! The best movie on this theme I've seen by far. Great acting everywhere. Robin Williams as Eisenhower. My wife asked me, isn't that nanoo nanoo? I said, yeah, and Jumanji. :D And on Ronald Reagan, she said, hey, that's the villian in Die Hard. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing