The big sound

Kal-I think most of us know that you are a digital surround sound kind of guy now. It's all good.

Do you think a DIY system can be the big sound too ?

Most people in this forum are Hi End guys, not too many DIYERS here, also diy project means save money can't present Hi End level, but some diy projects with a new idea that is one of the kind or projects with highest quality parts that brand name makers will never use because cost too much , these projects can provide the sound that you can't find from market, in my system I build all amps and cables with my own design, all power amps with NOS transmitting tube in SE ,in a 4 horn speakers system, all cable in silver with power shielding, source by modified with tubes Studer A810, Benz Micro Ruby and a Clearaudio TT drive by a direct drive TT with a elastic thread as the belt etc, I believe the sound of my system can be a big sound too
tony ma

Kal-I think most of us know that you are a digital surround sound kind of guy now. It's all good.

Yes, I know you know. But my statement was in response to the statements suggesting that being a digital-only person, even today, suggests a lack of perspective.

Interesting, Mark

The only problem with the Telarc 1812 was that at least five of the cannon shots were severely clipped. They always sounded that way, and it wasn't until I got the CD and my first CD ripping software that I was able to see the clipped waveforms. Naturally, I went about hand reconstructing the clipped explosions, but to do so, I had to lower the entire track volume by 9dB to accomodate the reconstructed peaks.

and extremely_cool!

Most people in this forum are Hi End guys, not too many DIYERS here, also diy project means save money can't present Hi End level, but some diy projects with a new idea that is one of the kind or projects with highest quality parts that brand name makers will never use because cost too much , these projects can provide the sound that you can't find from market, in my system I build all amps and cables with my own design, all power amps with NOS transmitting tube in SE ,in a 4 horn speakers system, all cable in silver with power shielding, source by modified with tubes Studer A810, Benz Micro Ruby and a Clearaudio TT drive by a direct drive TT with a elastic thread as the belt etc, I believe the sound of my system can be a big sound too
tony ma

I've heard quite a few Tony. The best horn system I've ever heard is Victor Sierra's formerly of Sierra-Brooks. He makes his own horns for his exotic drivers. Like you he uses multiple pairs of one-off DHT SET amps. It sounded HUGE when the recordings were huge and small when the recordings were as well. It was a real treat for me. So I'd give a big fat YES to your question.

still objectionable

Bill-I had to re-read my original post in order to see if I said something different than I thought I did which got your dander up. And I didn't.

I read you post several times before I wrote my reply. My interpretation of your post hasn't changed. You wanted some information to allow you to dismiss the posts of people you disagree with.

In your original post, you said

"I get a kick out of people who don't really have a listening room and can't set up anything analog in their system and yet pronounce digital to be the end-all of music reproduction"

Your remark appears to be a reaction to some posts you have read. How do you know what experience those people have had in the past or what their current situation is? How do you know what knowledge about audio playback they base their remarks on?

Bill

I never had the 1812 Overture, but I had/have the Frederick Fennell and the Cleveland Symphonic Winds of the Holst, Handel, and Bach Telarc pressing. The disc had warnings regarding the Bass particularly specific sections of the Holst marches due to the Bass drums that could cause mistracking. I never experienced a problem with my modified Thorens 125 MKII, Rega RB300 tonearm, and my Monster Alpha Genesis 500 cartridge that I used in the mid 1980s till about 3 years ago. I am sure that my present Teres/Soundsmith system should have little problem as well.

Rich

Track 3 is still my favorite bass drum 'whack!' :)

It sounded HUGE when the recordings were huge and small when the recordings were as well
Yes, the system was working well. Trouble is, people think that certain styles of sounds are associated with certain types of setups, when the truth is that the sounds will completely converge in character as systems of radically different makeup improve, that is, reduce audible weaknesses (quite audible sigh arises from somewhere in the background).

The horns are extremely efficient, the amps are loafing along, barely having to try, there is such low electronic stress in the system that my notorious low-level distortion is even lower than normal. Jack, back then, you had a taste of the sound of muralman1's system, and what I keep babbling on about ...

Frank

The horns are extremely efficient, the amps are loafing along, barely having to try, there is such low electronic stress in the system that my notorious low-level distortion is even lower than normal. Jack, back then, you had a taste of the sound of muralman1's system, and what I keep babbling on about ...

Frank

Now this we agree on, Frank. Headroom is fundamental. I approach it from the opposite angle, but the goal is similar.

Tim

Frank

That is certainly true. My big OMA New Yorker Horns only require between 1/2 to 2 1/2 watts which is a very easy load for my 25 watt Class A First Watt M2 power amp.

Rich

Frank, I'm just going to go out and say it. False modesty is unbecoming of grown men and buddy Frantz has called me on it already. Hahahaha. I get the illusion very well and quite consistently at home BUT I also get it at the homes of many of my friends. I don't have a monopoly on the magic. DIY, Vintage, Value Oriented or assaults on the SOTA. Good sound is good sound and good sound means I get to enjoy the music more. I do not discriminate. The systems don't even sound the same but still....there is always something special that shines through when someone who knows what he's doing puts his back into the work required. That's why I am not keen on supporting some unified goal for all to strive for be it Big Sound or Invisible Speakers. I'm cool if it's about equality, world peace or the eradication of violence but not audio. I love the diversity of this hobby.

Allow me to explain. When I visit another person's home, I do not assess the system on how it compares to mine or how much it is to my liking. That's the reason that if i bring source material at all, I ask to play only a handful of intimately familiar tracks at the very beginning just to get myself calibrated with the system and the room. In really good systems it only takes a track or two. The second track being a bit of self indulgence ;) What gives me a lift is hearing the host's favorite tracks because it gives me more insight into how, what and why he's made his choices in an hour than he could if he wrote a novel about it. That I may come across some killer new tracks is one very cool side benefit :) In any case, like I said good sound is good sound. There will always be even the slightest emphasis on some or many aspects of the sound that reflects positively on the owner. It could be a certain tonal balance, clarity, slam, spread, texture whatever. In the end there will be a unique mix of attributes that may never be replicated elsewhere. I believe in integrity but not neutrality. That's where I'm heading here. There is a sense of individuality, of customization that deserves appreciation. Some systems can have serious short comings but if it can do one thing well enough, that alone can make you see past the omissions. In the other thread I think C1Ferrari said "ala LS3/5a". It's a perfect example. It's almost as old as I am, has no bass extension, has dips and humps, has a cabinet that resonates, uses no exotic passive parts but hot dang when set up right can still give anybody goosebumps. Now when someone can get that kind of a reaction from anything, the guy deserves some props in my book.

My room is dead quiet and I've got way more clean power than my 94dB speakers need. I'm also very, very happy with both my analog and digital sources. I give up before the system does SPL wise. It's just that I stopped comparing my system to the live experience some time ago. I know I've done all I can afford in time, effort and money at least for now. It doesn't mean I'm any less satisfied than Vince. It only means I don't think I've got perfection. It only means I've got everything set up as best I can to my personal preferences. I don't think I've got perfection because to get to this point I know exactly what trade offs I've had to make for enjoyment's sake. Perfection means not having to make any trade-offs. Alas this ain't a perfect world.

So we go back to the recordings because they are MY reasons for the trade-offs. I can't go around tweaking to make one track or even an entire genre sound perfect to the detriment of the thousands of other songs in my analog, optical and drive library. No single setting can do it all so I've striven for a balance between getting the best out of the best recordings while leaving enough leeway so as not to make songs I love that are badly recorded totally unlistenable. All this so I can spend time doing what I should be doing, sitting my ass down and enjoying it all.

I've heard quite a few Tony. The best horn system I've ever heard is Victor Sierra's formerly of Sierra-Brooks. He makes his own horns for his exotic drivers. Like you he uses multiple pairs of one-off DHT SET amps. It sounded HUGE when the recordings were huge and small when the recordings were as well. It was a real treat for me. So I'd give a big fat YES to your question.

Jack, Thank you, I try to tell you the way how I listen to my system, I am not a digital guy but still have a CD source, if I have to listen to CD I will stop listen to the main system for a few days, only in car's radio during driving, and then step by step CD to vinyl and to tape, even in vinyl only I never start with the best recording first,
DHT SET is the best sounding amp over all but less of power, you must have the right speaker, horn is the good partner for them, transmitting NOS tube in SET is another story they can have as big as 50 to 100 watts, but cost of the parts quite cost a lot and most is in diy, Wavac and Kondo have some but cost too much
ton ma

i purchased a different home and built a room in a barn (partially) because i wanted a system that was capable of doing a 'big' sound.....space.....deep bass....and big time ambience and bass decay. to me it's the ability of a system to lay down that ambient foundation, which takes fairly deep bass and a low noise floor as well as the ability to move some air in a linear way.

of course; it took 6 years in the new room to actually figure out how to get all those things to happen.

when a recording has a 'big' sound, i'm confident i can now get that sound.

this does happen more with analog than with digital, but it's more a matter of degrees of this than one can and one cannot.

i find that my 45rpm Lps seem to most consistently be able to throw an enormous soundstage and energize every molecule in the room. i had 5.1 multi-channel SACD in the room for about 18 months, and some of those could really fill the room. but the 45rpm's do some things with 'big-ness' thay even multi-channel did not do in terms of endless decay.

the one recording that comes to mind in terms of a 'big' sound is actually not even music; it's a redbook CD called 'Open Pipe Symphony'. it's 16 tracks of race cars on the track and in a garage. musical instruments are toys compared to what how a raceing engine can throw off low frequencies and reasonance. you can cut the ambience with a knife. you feel it in your bones.

Frank, I'm just going to go out and say it. False modesty is unbecoming of grown men and buddy Frantz has called me on it already. Hahahaha. I get the illusion very well and quite consistently at home BUT I also get it at the homes of many of my friends. I don't have a monopoly on the magic. DIY, Vintage, Value Oriented or assaults on the SOTA. Good sound is good sound and good sound means I get to enjoy the music more. I do not discriminate. The systems don't even sound the same but still....there is always something special that shines through when someone who knows what he's doing puts his back into the work required. That's why I am not keen on supporting some unified goal for all to strive for be it Big Sound or Invisible Speakers. I'm cool if it's about equality, world peace or the eradication of violence but not audio. I love the diversity of this hobby.

Allow me to explain. When I visit another person's home, I do not assess the system on how it compares to mine or how much it is to my liking. That's the reason that if i bring source material at all, I ask to play only a handful of intimately familiar tracks at the very beginning just to get myself calibrated with the system and the room. In really good systems it only takes a track or two. The second track being a bit of self indulgence ;) What gives me a lift is hearing the host's favorite tracks because it gives me more insight into how, what and why he's made his choices in an hour than he could if he wrote a novel about it. That I may come across some killer new tracks is one very cool side benefit :) In any case, like I said good sound is good sound. There will always be even the slightest emphasis on some or many aspects of the sound that reflects positively on the owner. It could be a certain tonal balance, clarity, slam, spread, texture whatever. In the end there will be a unique mix of attributes that may never be replicated elsewhere. I believe in integrity but not neutrality. That's where I'm heading here. There is a sense of individuality, of customization that deserves appreciation. Some systems can have serious short comings but if it can do one thing well enough, that alone can make you see past the omissions. In the other thread I think C1Ferrari said "ala LS3/5a". It's a perfect example. It's almost as old as I am, has no bass extension, has dips and humps, has a cabinet that resonates, uses no exotic passive parts but hot dang when set up right can still give anybody goosebumps. Now when someone can get that kind of a reaction from anything, the guy deserves some props in my book.

My room is dead quiet and I've got way more clean power than my 94dB speakers need. I'm also very, very happy with both my analog and digital sources. I give up before the system does SPL wise. It's just that I stopped comparing my system to the live experience some time ago. I know I've done all I can afford in time, effort and money at least for now. It doesn't mean I'm any less satisfied than Vince. It only means I don't think I've got perfection. It only means I've got everything set up as best I can to my personal preferences. I don't think I've got perfection because to get to this point I know exactly what trade offs I've had to make for enjoyment's sake. Perfection means not having to make any trade-offs. Alas this ain't a perfect world.

So we go back to the recordings because they are MY reasons for the trade-offs. I can't go around tweaking to make one track or even an entire genre sound perfect to the detriment of the thousands of other songs in my analog, optical and drive library. No single setting can do it all so I've striven for a balance between getting the best out of the best recordings while leaving enough leeway so as not to make songs I love that are badly recorded totally unlistenable. All this so I can spend time doing what I should be doing, sitting my ass down and enjoying it all.

Oh my...that was just...so...reasonable!

I agree completely. It's about compromises and targets. Choosing them and pursuing them. It's about knowing what you want and maximizing that in your system. Mep and Mike are going for BIG, full-range, large room pressurizing sound in a massive sound stage. To be honest, I'd go for that too if I had the physical space for it, but I'd still have the systems I have today because I'm deep into something else at the opposite extreme -- listening deep into the recording, where I can hear how close the singer's lips are to the microphone, identify the body size of the acoustic guitar being strummed in the background and even speculate on the weight of the pick. Extreme, yes surreal, pinpoint imaging, and an extreme, yes surreal, window into modern recordings. I don't attempt to reproduce a live performance in any way, I only attempt to hear the recording. So I listen to active monitors in a near field configuration; I have a reference headphone system. And they get me where I want to go. As I said before, if I had the space, I'd also have a pair of Linkwitz Orions filling a huge space in a big room. But this system on my desktop? It would still be my primary system, because this is my preference. Viva la difference.

Tim

I read you post several times before I wrote my reply. My interpretation of your post hasn't changed. You wanted some information to allow you to dismiss the posts of people you disagree with.

In your original post, you said

"I get a kick out of people who don't really have a listening room and can't set up anything analog in their system and yet pronounce digital to be the end-all of music reproduction"

Your remark appears to be a reaction to some posts you have read. How do you know what experience those people have had in the past or what their current situation is? How do you know what knowledge about audio playback they base their remarks on?

Bill

Bill-I don't want to fight with you or anyone else. Sorry if you got your nose out of joint.

Viva la difference indeed!

Somehow I am unable to reconcile the notion of trade offs with this system.

Attachments

• vr-9..jpg
    vr-9..jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 85
Yes, I know you know. But my statement was in response to the statements suggesting that being a digital-only person, even today, suggests a lack of perspective.

Kal-A digital-only person, "even today" as you put it who formerly owned and listened to analog has a perspective to draw on when forming conclusions about the different mediums and I never meant to imply anything different. The quality of the analog owned once upon a time can have a serious impact on the perspective however.

Kal-A digital-only person, "even today" as you put it who formerly owned and listened to analog has a perspective to draw on when forming conclusions about the different mediums and I never meant to imply anything different. The quality of the analog owned once upon a time can have a serious impact on the perspective however.

I hope you're not implying that it's necessary to have a $10,000 + LP playing system to fully appreciate "analog" playback?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing