The Big Short

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We saw it this afternoon and it was fabulous with a very well told story as to how the entire global housing market went south in 2007. Movie is a modest 2 hrs 10 minutes and the story and how it was told and explained in lay person terms was also a big plus. All of us I am sure lived through some form of trickle down economics with the global collapse of the housing market

This one almost certainly will be nominated for Best Picture but with it's cameo cast I am not sure any of the male leads are worthy although I am betting Steve Carell and/or Christian Bale are nominated.

Definitely a film worth seeing

Cast: Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Steve Carell, Brad Pitt, Melissa Leo, Hamish Linklater, John Magaro, Rafe Spall, Jeremy Strong, Marisa Tomei, Finn Wittrock, Max Greenfield
Director: Adam McKay
Rating: R
Running Time: 130 min.
Synopsis:
Writer/director Adam McKay joins forces with Paramount Pictures and Plan B Entertainment to adapt Michael Lewis' best-seller The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine, which centers on the housing credit bubble of the 2000s.

An MRQE metascore of 79 which puts it in the worth seeing category

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I concur with you, Steve. This was a great movie and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Remember getting a home equity line of credit from Washington Mutual, one of the banks that disappeared (acquired by Chase).

Inquired at my local WAMU branch, did a credit check on the spot. "Drive By" appraisal the next day. Check book in my hand the 3rd day with a very substantial line.

Easy to see how many people (and the banks) got in trouble

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interestingly, the big players behind the debacle are still doing exactly the same thing today, except now they are also privately buying and selling the same loans that they sold, but for pennies on the dollar...and are still doing all of this with complete immunity. Sad story that we are all continuing to pay for..and will continue to do so into the near future. Basically no oversight whatsoever!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interestingly, the big players behind the debacle are still doing exactly the same thing today, except now they are also privately buying and selling the same loans that they sold, but for pennies on the dollar...and are still doing all of this with complete immunity. Sad story that we are all continuing to pay for..and will continue to do so into the near future. Basically no oversight whatsoever!!

Each semester I give a guest lecture on the financial crisis to a class in the Economics Department at UCLA. While I agree with what I think is Dave's general sentiment I believe that four of the five assertions here are incorrect.

I believe very strongly in the WBF prohibition on discussing politics, so I will not write anything substantive here, but if anyone is interested in hearing which assertions are incorrect and why, please feel free to send me a private message.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If it's related to the film...as depicted in the film...then it's film related...no?

What is the subject of the film? Is it also based on real events of a certain period of time's history? ...Housing market. ...Like '99 Homes' ?

Methinks it's important to review the film's content, same with the music's content...the words...the message...the essence.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Other than to downplay the role of consumers who bought homes they knew they could not afford, The Big Short film nails it. I read the book and shall I say have direct personal knowledge on this subject. There are a ton of lessons to be learned from this film and book. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be happening.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Other than to downplay the role of consumers who bought homes they knew they could not afford, The Big Short film nails it. I read the book and shall I say have direct personal knowledge on this subject. There are a ton of lessons to be learned from this film and book. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be happening.

Knowledge without commensurate action is ironically even WORSE.
How are you doing Joe? On holiday now? I did get back to Tom a 2nd time and enjoyed the "show" once again with SuperCD material this time….after he corrected the metadata, the songs played.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Yes Norman, still in London. Having a blast as always. I heard you made it back to Tom's. All your stuff played for me although I had to group some of the material back into an album file, such as the female audiophile tracks, as they loaded into their own single file.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing