The best 5 speakers that you have had

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I've heard quite a few speakers but have only owned four (and counting).
1. 1950s - single JBL speaker with a single 8" driver (dawn of the stereo age, but I couldn't afford a stereo pair)
2. 1970s - Acoustic Research AR9's
3. 1990s - Aerial 10T's
4. 2017 - Magico S3 MkII's
5. 2023 - Magico S3 2023 on order

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Thats why I allocated a million fictional dollars for the fictional listening room on the billion dollar estate. It really doesn’t matter how it sounds in reality as those are just a fantasy for me

Reactions: Glide3

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thats why I allocated a million fictional dollars for the fictional listening room on the billion dollar estate. It really doesn’t matter how it sounds in reality as those are just a fantasy for me

I d rather buy a Multistrada pikes peak if were talking value for money , nice Superduke by the way.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In the Catch 22 sequel Milo minderbinder (in the catch 22 characters he is the shrewd businessman who makes money at every opportunity, no matter what the values) sells the pentagon stealth bombers you can’t hear and you can’t see.

i guess if he was in audio he would sell audiophiles willing to pay up multi million dollar systems that completely disappear

Jeddyd

Oct 11, 2023
West Wales
Did you hear them ??.
I actuallly heard them this year for the first time in munich .
All looks no sound.
These really do look as though some high level workmanship goes into their production. I like the way the shape reminds me of a Cello (perhaps?)
Somewhat out of my financial reach ha ha.

Jeddyd

Oct 11, 2023
West Wales
I've only owned 3 pairs of speakers: The Kef LS50 Meta, Monitor Audio Bronze and the Elipson 1303 FT (see pic).

The Elipson speakers sound the most real and immersive to date, but I am looking for new speakers at the moment. I'm going to listen to the Devore 0/96 speakers next tuesday, which I think have to same lifelike and involving sound, but better..

I've only owned 3 pairs of speakers: The Kef LS50 Meta, Monitor Audio Bronze and the Elipson 1303 FT (see pic).

The Elipson speakers sound the most real and immersive to date, but I am looking for new speakers at the moment. I'm going to listen to the Devore 0/96 speakers next tuesday, which I think have to same lifelike and involving sound, but better..
I had some KEF LS50 Meta speakers a few months ago. I bought them because they're apparently multi award winning speakers. I got them without audioning them, which according to many is a definite no no. Well, unfortunately it was a no. I thought they sounded rather lifeless unless cranked up. I suppose they are quite impressive considering their small size.

Vinylleroy

Jul 8, 2022
I had some KEF LS50 Meta speakers a few months ago. I bought them because they're apparently multi award winning speakers. I got them without audioning them, which according to many is a definite no no. Well, unfortunately it was a no. I thought they sounded rather lifeless unless cranked up. I suppose they are quite impressive considering their small size.
I'm Dutch so technically I'm Dutch Craftmanship... ;-)

With what kind of amplifier did you pair the LS50's with? I paired them with the Unsion Tube Amp and I don't think I found them sounding lifeless.. I really appriciate the way they gave a soundstage and how they detailed. But the Elipson's sounded more 'flesh and blood' and gave a bigger sound, maybe that aspect is what you call lifeless, and I understand that.

• Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio

Jeddyd

Oct 11, 2023
West Wales
I partnered them with the Marantz PM8005 I was using at the time. That was a good amp though and the PM8005 (or6) is easily capable of delivering decent headroom (high current to the speakers) to deal with dynamics. The LS50 Meta are actually very impressive for their size. I think they do come to life with less attenuation applied to the amplifier.
I upgraded my integrated amplifier to a Marantz Model 30. I know that the gear I use is by no means "High End", however, it's within my budget and I'm very pleased with the system as a whole now.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I have had some speakers over the years that on reflection I probably never really did complete justice to before graduating from them including IMF RSPM Mk IV and I very much enjoyed the Proac Response 2s… plus I’ve been lucky to have babysat longer term some awesome speakers over the years from good mates memorably including Tune Animas and Devore 0/96…

but the best experiences from speakers that I have owned has come from;

Magnepan 3.7
Magnepan 20.7
Harbeth 40.2
Pureaudioproject Trio 15 horn
Pureaudioproject Quintet 15 horn

so much so that I still have 4 of these here :rolleyes: :eek: hmmm perhaps it’s time to let some of these be free lol!!!

What would be the ideal amplifier for each, in your opinion?

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Martin Logan CLS 1 with 2 Vandersteen subs, driven by Primare 928 monos.
Martin Logan Statement E2 driven by 2 Krell FPB 600 C
MBL 101 E with Martin Logan Statement E2 sub-woofer towers, driven by MBL 9011 amps.
Back to full set of Martin Logan Statement E2 driven by MBL 9011 amps.
Honorable mention to my most used speakers, a pair of very smooth and forgiving Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors with Vandersteen subs, driven by Primare 928 monos, playing TV sound trough a OPPO. All speakers are still around ! :rolleyes:
Thanks for including the amplification pairing, it helps paint a picture. Now if only everyone would do that, (and add what they think would be the world's best pairing if not what they had)

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Hello Leif,

What exactly is the "BD design custom matrix BR basstowers" for Trios? What do BD and BR mean? And how does this change the sound from what one gets from the "original", manufacturer-delivered version.

Also, some people have reported that Avantgardes can sound "peaky" or "strident" with certain recordings. Do you happen to know some of the causes for this? Likewise, do you have any ideas what it is about Avantgarde that has that "jump factor" / attack / "aliveness". I haven't experienced an attack like this from any other speaker. Is this all about the very high efficiency, or could Avantgarde be doing something else to enhance that?

Really appreciate your wisdom
I haven't read more than a page after your question, so at the risk of being redundant: BD is for Bert Doppenberg, he is a designer and builder of horn systems in Nunspeet (Netherlands). Look up BD-Design (add "speakers" or you get something else on your search).

Reactions: caesar

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
What would be the ideal amplifier for each, in your opinion?
Not being evasive but my ideal certainly would not be everyone’s ideal pairings for these…

For the Harbeth 40.2s what I have is in many ways close to my ideal for them… so an otl type preamp and a larger SET (so in my fairly modest setup an LTA preamp into a Line Magnetic LM805, with 48 watts and WE300B driving an 805) but my mate prefers his with solid state so for a SS based listener something like Bricasti monos would be great.

I’m doing the same LTA into another Lm805 for the Pureaudioproject Quintets… but since I’m mostly rarely exceeding a watt or around that my ideal for higher efficient and horn based I’d run an otl or an 10 y based preamp into a really good 300B single ended amp… and if $$$ weren’t an issue I’d probably go Kondo.

With the Magnepan 20.7s I can’t afford and haven’t determined what I’d consider ideal amps to drive them… I sometimes think the issue with ribbon type panels is that they can tend to expose an amps limitations and I’m not sure there is even an ideal tube amp for the big Maggie’s (for me)… just the best compromise though for someone whose ideal amp is SS they might fair better in finding an ideal to drive them.

Reactions: Rensselaer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing