The audio reviewer's workload.

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
Part of my routine is tearing out audio magazines articles and reviews of audio equipment of interest and saving them in binders creating a library of reference material. When going through copies of Hi-Fi + Plus I noticed that the majority of the reviews and editorials were once again by one reviewer, Alan Sircom. It is quite different with Stereophile and The Absolute Sound or the webzines where one reviewer may have one review (but have the component/s under evaluation for months) per issue if that. It seems that with Mr. Sircom's duty as a one man show of reviewing, installing components, editorials, letter feedback, email, trade events and other responsibilities do keep this guy busy! If he is like the majority of reviewers he probably has a day job! ;-). It caused me to think that it could dilute the quality of his reviewing. This is not criticism here, only observation.
Anyone (including reviewers) have an opinion on what may constitute a reasonable workload for a reviewer?

Don't forget the photography. I did some of that too!

Editing the magazine and reviewing for the magazine are my full-time job. The odd thing about the UK hi-fi magazines is we relied mostly on full-time reviewers until very recently, and some of the full-timers are still full-timers, but in semi-retirement.

My workload has been prodigious recently, in part because I had to manage the transition from six issues per year (in mid 2009) to 12 per year (by the end of 2012), and find a way of paying for that change (my income is split between time billed for editing and paid-by-the-word writing in the magazine, but anything over about 8,000 words of mine per issue are written pro bono - and I was writing around 16,000 per issue). Now the change part has been approved and paid for, I can reduce my reviewing workload quite substantially and share the love.

The amount of reviewing does take its toll (I'm returning to the roster after almost a month off words) but because the UK magazines demanded full time professionals, they demanded high-speed professionalism from their writers and this has rubbed off. My record prior to last year was 75 capsule reviews in a weekend, so around 100-130 products in a year should be a breeze.

The big issue now is finding all the things I've placed in other people's systems while I was reviewing upwards of 130 products per year. You can't insert that many products into your own system with any degree of reliability or due diligence, so I called in a lot of favours. I racked up a lot of driving from place to place to place and some of those products are hard to track down. Which is why there was a Densen amp that was last seen somewhere just south of Haywards Heath...

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Don't forget the photography. I did some of that too!

Editing the magazine and reviewing for the magazine are my full-time job. The odd thing about the UK hi-fi magazines is we relied mostly on full-time reviewers until very recently, and some of the full-timers are still full-timers, but in semi-retirement.

My workload has been prodigious recently, in part because I had to manage the transition from six issues per year (in mid 2009) to 12 per year (by the end of 2012), and find a way of paying for that change (my income is split between time billed for editing and paid-by-the-word writing in the magazine, but anything over about 8,000 words of mine per issue are written pro bono - and I was writing around 16,000 per issue). Now the change part has been approved and paid for, I can reduce my reviewing workload quite substantially and share the love.

The amount of reviewing does take its toll (I'm returning to the roster after almost a month off words) but because the UK magazines demanded full time professionals, they demanded high-speed professionalism from their writers and this has rubbed off. My record prior to last year was 75 capsule reviews in a weekend, so around 100-130 products in a year should be a breeze.

The big issue now is finding all the things I've placed in other people's systems while I was reviewing upwards of 130 products per year. You can't insert that many products into your own system with any degree of reliability or due diligence, so I called in a lot of favours. I racked up a lot of driving from place to place to place and some of those products are hard to track down. Which is why there was a Densen amp that was last seen somewhere just south of Haywards Heath...

I'm glad you found the time to chime in! I've always liked the photography in Hi-Fi +, that coming from someone who dabbled in photography whenever I could. It seems that the more recent The Absolute Sound's components reviewed photos are looking much like the one's in your magazine. That amp may still be there. I left a Zeiss 300mm Contax lens standing vertical on the side of a highway and returned about an hour later with it still there!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Alan, I said it before and I'm saying it again; hi>fi+ is one of the very best audio publications for overall presentation, with excellent pictures, picture's compositions, well written articles and reviews, good Music (LP, CD, SACD, HDCD, ...) section, and best quality paper (last forever).

And I've seen and have a lot of audio mags from all over the world. ...Dating back from the early 60s to this present day.
...And when I say a lot, I mean it; a full audio mag library, to fill an entire room.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Anything longer than 30 -60 seconds is unnecessary.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If I can get them to stop walking.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing