The audio reviewer's workload.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Part of my routine is tearing out audio magazines articles and reviews of audio equipment of interest and saving them in binders creating a library of reference material. When going through copies of Hi-Fi + Plus I noticed that the majority of the reviews and editorials were once again by one reviewer, Alan Sircom. It is quite different with Stereophile and The Absolute Sound or the webzines where one reviewer may have one review (but have the component/s under evaluation for months) per issue if that. It seems that with Mr. Sircom's duty as a one man show of reviewing, installing components, editorials, letter feedback, email, trade events and other responsibilities do keep this guy busy! If he is like the majority of reviewers he probably has a day job! ;-). It caused me to think that it could dilute the quality of his reviewing. This is not criticism here, only observation.
Anyone (including reviewers) have an opinion on what may constitute a reasonable workload for a reviewer?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I am reviewing 3 speaker systems for stereomojo.com
This started back in Aug 12..... I have just finished... after 7 months!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I would say 3 speakers over 7 months is full throttle.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
I am reviewing 3 speaker systems for stereomojo.com
This started back in Aug 12..... I have just finished... after 7 months!

I hope you're paid by the hour!:)

Are you subject to a word count? It must take a lot of time to come up with a cute anecdote intro and going through a thesaurus to seek descriptive words like "pellucid".

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Alan is actually a member here~ perhaps he'll chime in. I like HiFi+ and enjoyed reading Roy Gregory's reviews. Obviously, with the growth of web-based 'magazines,' the traditional hi-fi publications face the challenge of competing with 'free' content and the greater ease of access to content via the Net. I would also assume, apart from a core cadre of writers, these magazines in whatever medium, have to rely on freelance writers, even if they are regular contributors. (That is, I would assume they are independent contractors, not regular 'employees').

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Alan is actually a member here~ perhaps he'll chime in. I like HiFi+ and enjoyed reading Roy Gregory's reviews. Obviously, with the growth of web-based 'magazines,' the traditional hi-fi publications face the challenge of competing with 'free' content and the greater ease of access to content via the Net. I would also assume, apart from a core cadre of writers, these magazines in whatever medium, have to rely on freelance writers, even if they are regular contributors. (That is, I would assume they are independent contractors, not regular 'employees').

I recall a post on another forum by Charles Hansen (Ayre) on submitting an article to The Absolute Sound that took a great deal of time over months and received (I assume a standard) payment of $200.00.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I recall a post on another forum by Charles Hansen (Ayre) on submitting an article to The Absolute Sound that took a great deal of time over months and received (I assume a standard) payment of $200.00.
if correct, it was sometime in another century.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Part of my routine is tearing out audio magazines articles and reviews of audio equipment of interest and saving them in binders creating a library of reference material. When going through copies of Hi-Fi + Plus I noticed that the majority of the reviews and editorials were once again by one reviewer, Alan Sircom. It is quite different with Stereophile and The Absolute Sound or the webzines where one reviewer may have one review (but have the component/s under evaluation for months) per issue if that. It seems that with Mr. Sircom's duty as a one man show of reviewing, installing components, editorials, letter feedback, email, trade events and other responsibilities do keep this guy busy! If he is like the majority of reviewers he probably has a day job! ;-). It caused me to think that it could dilute the quality of his reviewing. This is not criticism here, only observation.
Anyone (including reviewers) have an opinion on what may constitute a reasonable workload for a reviewer?

As far as I knew it was down to restructuring the Hi-Fi+ magazine and so initially Alan did have a heck of a lot of work.
In the current Issue (just received it) Alan is definitely not reviewing as much, with more reviewers now used (I guess he wanted what he felt were the right ones for the direction he has set since joining as editor).
Cheers
Orb

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, so what takes so long to review a product? I always thought the guys held on to gear for 1 or 2 years because they were listening to the systems they loved (and were procrastinating writing up their findings).

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Gentlemen, so what takes so long to review a product? I always thought the guys held on to gear for 1 or 2 years because they were listening to the systems they loved (and were procrastinating writing up their findings).

It does not take that long. Six to eight weeks with the product is the norm.

For print publications, the review may be submitted a good 3 or 4 months ahead of publication, so it makes it seem longer. Reviews for
Stereophile's May issue may have been completed in Feb.

There ARE a school of reviewers, mostly the older ones, who took their cue from HP, that they "needed" 6 or 9 months with a product...
you know, to cough, er, get every nuance of the product sorted out.

Then that turned into "using it as a reference"...you know the rest.

The new breed of reviewers work much more quickly.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
I had an impression that most reviewers "worked" part time during non-job hours. Much like most actors who dabble as waiters or cab drivers for their real bread and butter. If most reviewers have normal lives with spouses, kids... where could they find the time to break in all that gear that is being reviewed and still manage time wise to do a critical review?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't generally form an opinion about a new piece of gear until I'm well acquainted with it, which could take a month or two. And I'm just a hobbyist. Six or so months for a reviewer to reach a conclusion doesn't seem unrealistic therefore.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
I don't generally form an opinion about a new piece of gear until I'm well acquainted with it, which could take a month or two. And I'm just a hobbyist. Six or so months for a reviewer to reach a conclusion doesn't seem unrealistic therefore.
I agree with being patient with a new piece of gear. Often an issue can be very subtle.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It does not take that long. Six to eight weeks with the product is the norm.

For print publications, the review may be submitted a good 3 or 4 months ahead of publication, so it makes it seem longer. Reviews for
Stereophile's May issue may have been completed in Feb.

There ARE a school of reviewers, mostly the older ones, who took their cue from HP, that they "needed" 6 or 9 months with a product...
you know, to cough, er, get every nuance of the product sorted out.

Then that turned into "using it as a reference"...you know the rest.

The new breed of reviewers work much more quickly.

Those so-called "new" reviewers couldn't carry Harry's jockstrap.

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
Those so-called "new" reviewers couldn't carry Harry's jockstrap.

Mighty big words for someone who has produced precious little content.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Myles, you're back! Was it a lecture tour for Quantum Dots, plastic surgery, or were you mysteriously taken to the woodshed by the nefarious agents of WBF?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Mighty big words for someone who has produced precious little content.

Really Jeff? Why don't you get your facts straight? I'll put my volume of high-end audio reviews done over the last 25 years for TAS, Sounds Like..., Audio Adventure, The Audiophile Voice, Home Theater mag, Ultimate Audio, Inner Ear and Positive Feedback magazine against yours anyday! That's not to mention having started two high-end audio publications and assisted on a third. Oh, and I have done reviews back in the '90s that are still referenced to this day. So get off your high horse.

And what is your problem Jeff? You have a bug up your ass for me on every forum since I turned down your offer. And as far as your snippy comment, chill out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing