Telefunken M15 vs Studer A80RC

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
finally got about to fire up my Telefunken M15 the discrete older sibling of M15A
am on second day comparing now
M15 is std apart from this version is with outboard audiocards in M10 trolley and the Studer A80 is my faithful MTSL version

View attachment 83214
I envy you wonderful tape recorders, I found the Telefunken's richer tone and bass better, the Studer had better highs and resolution

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Telefunken is more colored, chocolaty WE300B ish
my MTSL A80RC is at least as good in bass...also the better transport
I guess std vs std the Telefunken would be preferred by many......also system dependant of course
if however, you went external audio boards, the better transport is preferred

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I only have one tape recorder, which is packed in the basement and I don't use it enough. Tandberg 20 A
have fun with your machines an nice day ;)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Yes ,you're right

I have something interesting about Telefunken that should come on the market as the M 16, Studer bought the tape division of Telefunken. The Studer 816 is actually a Telefunken machine in a Studer housing. One suspects that Studer was afraid that Telefunken would become number 1.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
the coloring of M15 is very clear on my Betty Davis The Columbia years 68-69 tape
M15 is more rock&roll

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
the coloring of M15 is very clear on my Betty Davis The Columbia years 68-69 tape
M15 is more rock&roll
make a recording on the same tape with Studer and Telefunken and then listen to it. I know the winner when both machines are well measured.

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
Yes ,you're right

I have something interesting about Telefunken that should come on the market as the M 16, Studer bought the tape division of Telefunken. The Studer 816 is actually a Telefunken machine in a Studer housing. One suspects that Studer was afraid that Telefunken would become number 1.

In fact, the opposite is the case. After Studer acquired Telefunken in the late 80s, the A816 was designed and built by Studer as their own successor to the M15. In fact, Studer commissioned his own research group to gather requirements for the successor and the A816 was developed from the output of that research.

You're correct that the A816 was built to fit into the ARD trolley used by the M15 and the transport buttons designed to mimic the Telefunken to reduce the learning curve. However, it shares the audio cards, Master Processing Unit, and most other cards with the A810, A812, and A820 machines. It is a Studer machine through and through and, as an owner, I'm privileged to own such a rare and superb machine.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
In fact, the opposite is the case. After Studer acquired Telefunken in the late 80s, the A816 was designed and built by Studer as their own successor to the M15. In fact, Studer commissioned his own research group to gather requirements for the successor and the A816 was developed from the output of that research.

You're correct that the A816 was built to fit into the ARD trolley used by the M15 and the transport buttons designed to mimic the Telefunken to reduce the learning curve. However, it shares the audio cards, Master Processing Unit, and most other cards with the A810, A812, and A820 machines. It is a Studer machine through and through and, as an owner, I'm privileged to own such a rare and superb machine.
I know the story a little differently. Mechanics and the German tape guide were made by Telefunken, and Studer developed electronics and cards for it. Maybe that's wrong, congratulations on the great machine ;)

Reactions: srs148

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
One day , i hope to be able to show it at a show :) studer versus telefunken.
My 2 studer B62 s are portable machines , the M 15 A isnt that heavy either .
I ve got all machines up to date / checked ( Eternal arts Hannover ) now and i have " invested " about 12 K in fine tape recordings in the past 1,5 year.
Ready to smoke some high $$$ digital :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hemiolia has all the tapemachines in the world and for their most expensive pavarotti recordings guess what they use....
Cant be that bad
20211108_175609.jpg

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: crosswind

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
make a recording on the same tape with Studer and Telefunken and then listen to it. I know the winner when both machines are well measured.

I have done that... I recorded the same material on six different high caliber decks, including these two.

These two finished last in the group. And that was the opinion of several different listeners, on more than one playback system.

Amazingly, people assigned similar sounding characteristics to them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing