TechDAS Airforce V arrived :-)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
As I love to play around with tonearms and Carts, it became obvious , that my AF3P cannot provide enough space.
My remaining Micro Seiki Turntables could not meet the performance of the AF3P.
But a crosscheck with the AF V showed, that the little thing from TechDAS is very very good.
As some of my Micro Seiki were rare collectables, I sold some and bought the AF V instead.
All of my gunmetal Micro Seiki Tonearm bases do fit AF3P and AF V too, so I can quickly interchange them.
* BIG FUN*
I would say, that AF V is underestimated, had the old AF3 in my home just once, so no real A to B comparison,
but from my memory I would not see a big difference between old AF3 and AF V.
AF3P is still a bigger step, if listened to them with the same tonearm, as SME 3012R.
But if the AF3P has a more simple tonearm and the AF V a more premium tonearm, the differences become relatively small and the AF V underlines his good value.

Actually it is a hard decision, if the AF V will stay in my main room with the Maxx 3 or will become the main source in my "Horn&Tube" room and set up.

IMG_9197.jpg IMG_9196.jpg

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Congratulations on your new Tech Das AFV Shakti. Very nice! My dream tt would be an AF3 Premium with Graham and Shroeder tonearms...one day!

Reactions: shakti

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Shakti!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
As I love to play around with tonearms and Carts, it became obvious , that my AF3P cannot provide enough space.
My remaining Micro Seiki Turntables could not meet the performance of the AF3P.
But a crosscheck with the AF V showed, that the little thing from TechDAS is very very good.
As some of my Micro Seiki were rare collectables, I sold some and bought the AF V instead.
All of my gunmetal Micro Seiki Tonearm bases do fit AF3P and AF V too, so I can quickly interchange them.
* BIG FUN*
I would say, that AF V is underestimated, had the old AF3 in my home just once, so no real A to B comparison,
but from my memory I would not see a big difference between old AF3 and AF V.
AF3P is still a bigger step, if listened to them with the same tonearm, as SME 3012R.
But if the AF3P has a more simple tonearm and the AF V a more premium tonearm, the differences become relatively small and the AF V underlines his good value.

Actually it is a hard decision, if the AF V will stay in my main room with the Maxx 3 or will become the main source in my "Horn&Tube" room and set up.

View attachment 47039 View attachment 47040
You have to admire the priorities of a true vinyl lover, 4-5 expensive turntables, but no budget for a new lamp !

Reactions: GMKF

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
You have to admire the priorities of a true vinyl lover, 4-5 expensive turntables, but no budget for a new lamp !

my music room hosts a collection of used industry stuff, the lamp is a 110year old original Kaiser Idell Lamp, value might be even higher, than many new lamps would cost :)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
my music room hosts a collection of used industry stuff, the lamp is a 110year old original Kaiser Idell Lamp, value might be even higher, than many new lamps would cost :)
Looks just like the lamp i used doing my homework as a kid ! I guess the age is
about right.:)

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Congratulations Shakti!
I heard one at the dealer and found it very good.
Their words are it sounds at the level of normal Af3.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Fantastic!
congrats. the V looks awesome. i love my AF3P, but when i got the original 3 and they came out with the V, i couldn't wounder how good it is compared.

btw - which arm is it in the left bottom spot?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Fantastic!
congrats. the V looks awesome. i love my AF3P, but when i got the original 3 and they came out with the V, i couldn't wounder how good it is compared.

btw - which arm is it in the left bottom spot?

This is a Fidelity Research FR24 MkII tonearm.

If you like FR64s, you might like the older FR24 MkII too, the FR24 is designed for more light Carts with a higher compliance, but similar performance to FR64s.

Effective mass (depending on headshell) is around 15 to 17, Fr64s is above 30.

Currently FR24 MkII are relatively cheap, as everybody is focussing on FR64....

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Thread necro here, but a question about the AFV... How solid/stable are the arm mounts? I've heard occasional speculation that the cantilevered design might not be an ideal way to mount an arm with proper stability.

I've got a couple big arms--a GrooveMaster 12-J and a Kuzma 4 Point 14--and I'm wondering if there'd be a bit of bounce hanging them off a long armboard from one of the pegs on the AFV.

Thanks!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
this construction has worked for Micro Seiki for decades and will work for TechDAS as well for decades.
no need to think for 5 minutes on this topic...

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
The main concern I've seen about this method of mounting arms has been from competitors who do it another way.

In the end, everyone will always have their own opinion on the subject.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Pretty sure if the table was bolted down I could stand on the armboard. To think it can’t support a tonearm well is comical.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Pretty sure if the table was bolted down I could stand on the armboard. To think it can’t support a tonearm well is comical.
Fair enough. But there are also well respected TT builders who prefer not to use the cantilevered armboard approach and instead employ big solid arm pillars (Galibier, Reed, Kuzma XL tables). With a big arm especially, every little bit of stability and rigidity would seem desirable. Not having ready access to a TechDAS table (but having been quite tempted by them), I just wanted to hear some other folks thoughts. I'm sure the Tech armboard system works great, but it's good to gather more info when possible.

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Fair enough. But there are also well respected TT builders who prefer not to use the cantilevered armboard approach and instead employ big solid arm pillars (Galibier, Reed, Kuzma XL tables). With a big arm especially, every little bit of stability and rigidity would seem desirable. Not having access to a TechDAS table (but having been quite tempted by them), I just wanted to hear some other folks thoughts. I'm sure the Tech armboard system works great, but it's good to gather more info when possible.
Are you sure they specifically prefer not to use it or the way their table is designed doesn’t necessarily facilitate this type of mounting scheme? You can see the AS-2000 is a no holds barred flagship table and uses the same type of armboard as the lowly AF5.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Fair enough. But there are also well respected TT builders who prefer not to use the cantilevered armboard approach and instead employ big solid arm pillars (Galibier, Reed, Kuzma XL tables). With a big arm especially, every little bit of stability and rigidity would seem desirable. Not having ready access to a TechDAS table (but having been quite tempted by them), I just wanted to hear some other folks thoughts. I'm sure the Tech armboard system works great, but it's good to gather more info when possible.

As I stated, high-end audio companies are based around design philosophies.

Those who believe in massive arm supports will design them in and will disparage other approaches.

Those who dislike vacuum hold down will have other methods of keeping a record flat and will disparage vacuum.

…and so on.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Fair point. I know that Thom Mackris, who makes the Galibier tables, doesn't like the cantilevered armboard approach. He's said this to me over email, and I don't think he'd mind me sharing his stance. Anyway, I just thought I'd express that I've heard at least a couple different philosophies on how to best mount an arm. I'm no expert, certainly!

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
As I stated, high-end audio companies are based around design philosophies.

Those who believe in massive arm supports will design them in and will disparage other approaches.

Those who dislike vacuum hold down will have other methods of keeping a record flat and will disparage vacuum.

…and so on.
For sure. And I think that the best we can do, as consumers, is go out and audition and gather the impressions of other end users. I keep an open mind on everything.

Reactions: BillK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing