Tascam anounces New DSD Recorder!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I had a buddy from out of town hear RTR for the first time this past weekend. Needless to say, he was blown away and begged me to get a high resolution digital recorder to make some tape drops for him....

Do you have your units already ?

My vendor told me not until Sept. :(

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I had a buddy from out of town hear RTR for the first time this past weekend. Needless to say, he was blown away and begged me to get a high resolution digital recorder to make some tape drops for him....

Do you have your units already ?

Any news about any one comparing it with the Korg MR 2000 ?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Any news about any one comparing it with the Korg MR 2000 ?

No one has received any yet. They don't ship 'til Sept/Oct.

I'll certainly compare it to my Korg MR2000s, but the cool part is you can use an outboard converter (Grimm, EMM Labs, Horus) with it. Using those converters, you'll have the best you can get!

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Just returned from Japan last week, and asked about the availability of the Tascam unit at Yodobashi a large electronic store.
The sales staff checked on the computer and mentioned that the release date for the product in Japan is August 31st. Full retail price in Japan including the 5% sales tax was 99,800 Yens. This equates to US$ 998 approx at today's rates.
So not long now.
Is anyone organizing a group buy on this?
Cheers,
Neville

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Please let us know how the Tascam' onboard ADCs compare to that of the Korg Bruce. It would be much appreciated.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
So I've had this unit for about a week or so and think I've got a handle on it.

1. The sound is equal to or better than the Korg. It records to a SD or CF card. It has a USB connection on the front, so I think it can record to USB. I'll have to try it later.
Can record PCM from 44.1 to 192. Records DSD64fs and DSD128fs.

2. GUI - slow as molasses. This should be fixed in a firmware update. Think of the Korg with Audiogate software built-in and you get the Tascam. The menu is deep. I went into some modes and the screen just started showing garbage. Not good! It's going to take some time to explore all the menu options. As in AudioGate, you can do minor editing in DSD or PCM. Did I say the menu is slow?

3. Function - This has digital inputs for PCM or DSD. I connected the Grimm using BNC cables via SDIF-3 and it's some of the best sound I've heard! Cool thing is you have a Cascade mode where you can daisy-chain multiple units for tracking or MCH audio. The powercord they sent is beefier than the normal mass market junk you get. It has the same 1ru footprint as the Korg MR2000s. I feel the Korg is more intuitive where you can get up and started without reading the manual. This Tascam, you actually have to RTFM before you can do anything.

4. Overall, a great replacement for the DV-RA1000HD. If folks missed out getting the Korg for archiving your tape or vinyl, this is the one to get. The $999 price can't be beat anywhere. Two thumbs up!!

photo.JPG

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Playing around with this thing a little tonight.

1. Found out it has a signal generator. You can output a sine wave of 440Hz, 1k and 10k. Great for the tape heads out there!
2. You can stack/sync 8 units at a time to have 16 tracks.
3. You can playback from a USB stick or transfer files to a USB stick or external powered USB hard drive
4. Will record .dff or .dsf
5. Will sample rate convert on the fly!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Awesome thread Dr. Bruce. However, it has a potential of derailing my "reduction in stuff" strategy - having to keep up with Browns is not good...

Like most amateurs around here, I had been using Korg as AD converter and recorder for my tapes and some of the sentimental LPs, manage the DSD files from a Laptop, playing them via JRiver through Mytek. So few questions:

1)How would Tascam's ADC section compare to your pro ADCs in PCM and DSD mode?
2)Having the Mastering version of Mytek, I am looking forward to the possibility of skipping Laptop and JRiver - playing tapes and LP DSD files directly via Tascam and Mytek. Any interface issues?
3)You mentioned playback capabilities from USB memory stick or external powered USB hard drive with Tascam. Can it record onto the USB memory stick and also onto the external USB hard drive?
4)Lastly, USB 3 support?

Thanks,
Ki

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
1)How would Tascam's ADC section compare to your pro ADCs in PCM and DSD mode?
2)Having the Mastering version of Mytek, I am looking forward to the possibility of skipping Laptop and JRiver - playing tapes and LP DSD files directly via Tascam and Mytek. Any interface issues?
3)You mentioned playback capabilities from USB memory stick or external powered USB hard drive with Tascam. Can it record onto the USB memory stick and also onto the external USB hard drive?
4)Lastly, USB 3 support?

1. I would give the nod to the Tascam for DSD and they are equal in PCM. The big advantage is that you can use external converters, which using the Grimm/Meitner/Horus or Mytek, sends it over the top!
2. No interface issuse. Just connect the Mytek via BNC and works perfectly. The only drawback is the limited file storage capability of the Tascam. I'll have to connect my 3TB hard drive via USB and see if I can stream large files
3. Will not record to USB, but hopefully that is in a latter update.
4. Just USB2.0

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Bruce,

In the manual they mention maximum track file size is 2 gig. If you are recording a program and it exceeds two gig, does the recording continue uncut/seemless into the next file ?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce,

In the manual they mention maximum track file size is 2 gig. If you are recording a program and it exceeds two gig, does the recording continue uncut/seemless into the next file ?

Yes, it's the same as the Korg. They are both in a FAT32 format.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I just ordered one. Is there other firmware out already than the one it shipped with? Looked for this on the Tascam site but all I can find there is 2 documents and the manual.

No firmware upgrades yet that I know of.

I'll keep everyone posted!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing