TAS Reviews the Summit X

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
In the January TAS, Dick Olsher reviews the Summit X. Available right now for subscribers and Golden Ear members, or you can buy the individual issue via download for a few bucks.

A very favorable review in which he praises all the usual ML attributes, as well as the X's improved ability to blend the panel to the cone woofs. He concludes:

"I can't think of a box speaker under $40K I would rather live with. A mandatory audition for anyone serious about reproduced music."

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ken,

have you heard the speaker, and what did you think?

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Ken,

have you heard the speaker, and what did you think?

Peter, I have not. FWIW, several folks whose opinion I respect have indicated that all the new, DSP-based Logans are a significant improvement as regards panel/cone integration.

If I upgrade, I'm more likely to go CLX than Summit X. I've heard those in a couple of good rooms and thought they were phenomenal.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I just read the review. Felt it was quite a bit incomplete - no references to music used, not enough specifics on sound other than timpani impact and cymbal brush work and some others... No references to voice, specifics on piano pieces, kickdrum or other bass instruments... It really left me wondering and wanting to go back and listen again for myself.

nsgarch

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks, but 'no thanks'!

FWIW, several folks whose opinion I respect have indicated that all the new, DSP-based Logans are a significant improvement as regards panel/cone integration.
Are you suggesting the Summit X employs a DSP-based crossover? A careful reading of the details for all of MartinLogan's Reserve ESL and ESL series speakers indicates that only the Ethos employs such a DSP-based crossover. All other ML speakers have passive/analog crossovers -- and thank God for that! It shouldn't be necessary to resort to "digital airbrushing" in order to "retouch" the response of a poorly designed loudspeaker system; or to take the place of intelligent room treatment when necessary. Placing DSP inside a loudspeaker is a cheap and lazy solution IMO; and remember, if you digitize any part (or all of) the signal after it leaves the amplifier, you can never get it back again. No thanks!

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Are you suggesting the Summit X employs a DSP-based crossover? A careful reading of the details for all of MartinLogan's Reserve ESL and ESL series speakers indicates that only the Ethos employs such a DSP-based crossover.....
You're right, Neil. I should have referenced Vojtko vs. DSP, since only the Ethos incorporates the latter.

ruxtonvet

Dec 13, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Compare ML Summit X to Sanders Model 10

In the TAS review Olsher states that the ML X is the" best sounding hybrid ESL in the world". Pearson made similar statements about Sander Model 10 hybrid. Do Harry and Dick talk to each other? Have they compared the two speakers? They look very similar.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing