Talking with Alon Wolf

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The best in this field (unbelievable loudspeakers for real money) is KEF. But, alas, they are not taken seriously (even though the 207/2 was loudspeaker of the year in Stereophile) but the "real audiophiles". ;)

-----About the KEF XQ20 for $2,000/pair? :b

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I agree KEF is sometimes overlooked , the fact that they also sell in the lower price segment doesnt mean they dont make very good LS.
The blademodel for example is very innovative design.
And i also liked the around 10 K refmodel which i heard at a show

Last edited:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Yeah...I have the 207/2. Compared it to more expensive speakers (like Avalon) but Kef hit the right buttons with me. Kef is owned by the Gold Peak group. Apparently a big shot company (like the world leader in batteries). This means they have huge amounts of R&D money available to them, resulting in excellent products. However, this fact makes me respect a company like Magico even more: it is able to produce great speakers as well but with a much smaller budget. Magico is the result of a visionary leader (Wolf) like Kef was in the old days (Raymond Cooke).

I agree KEF is sometimes overlooked , the fact that they also sell in the lower price segment doesnt mean they dont make very good LS.
The blademodel for example is very innovative design.
And i also liked the around 10 K refmodel which i heard at a show

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Alon is smart and will speak candidly to anyone.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
If you mean: who represents Kef on this forum? No me :p. I only own the 207/2 Reference and am a big fan (who talked to some dealers and did some research on the company) ;) And considering big, out-of-this-wold-speakers....my choice would be the Muon. A choice I will unfortunately never be able to make :-(
Wim (NL)

---Who spoke for/with KEF?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If you mean: who represents Kef on this forum? No me :p. I only own the 207/2 Reference and am a big fan (who talked to some dealers and did some research on the company) ;) And considering big, out-of-this-wold-speakers....my choice would be the Muon. A choice I will unfortunately never be able to make :-(
Wim (NL)

-----Wim, that's your name? ...You're good to go man; you're the new KEF spokesperson. :D
...Any relation with Magico? ;)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Alon seemed cool at the show to me as well. Chatted music with him for a couple minutes.

If I went back to a xover speaker, Magico would be where I land.

Last edited:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
My relation with Magico :p? Love the out of the box thinking of Wolf. Still not convinced 100 % of the low frequency tackling (lowest frequency sometimes show a bit of a "choked identity") . But apart from that: Wow! Dying to hear the Q 7!!! Have to wait a bit...probably until October until it gets the full treatment in Amsterdam.
Wim
Apart from the Q7.... most wanted on my listening list: Yg Anat III. But there are no dealers in the Netherlands. Such a shame :(

-----Wim, that's your name? ...You're good to go man; you're the new KEF spokesperson. :D
...Any relation with Magico? ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
My relation with Magico :p? Love the out of the box thinking of Wolf. Still not convinced 100 % of the low frequency tackling (lowest frequency sometimes show a bit of a "choked identity") . But apart from that: Wow! Dying to hear the Q 7!!! Have to wait a bit...probably until October until it gets the full treatment in Amsterdam.
Wim
Apart from the Q7.... most wanted on my listening list: Yg Anat III. But there are no dealers in the Netherlands. Such a shame :(

-----Wim, do you have a good job? ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Me: I have demonstrated on numerous occasions the difference between my 'live' guitar and the reproduced and there is no comparison.

For $165k he better get darn close!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---Very true indeed, and same for all of us. :b

* Possessions (Audio or otherwise) are no guaranty for happiness.
And knowledge from experience is a given. :b

...An acquired desire.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That's a great point, Greg. Problem is that we all know that he cannot and has not:(

Like Alon said, too many variables out of his control.

I'd love to hear his 400k horn based system.

I think what he points out, and as I'm discovering with a 101db speaker---is how microdynamics really, really are important to making music sound like the real thing.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'd love to hear his 400k horn based system.

I think what he points out, and as I'm discovering with a 101db speaker---is how microdynamics really, really are important to making music sound like the real thing.

Microdynamics certainly are really important. Only problem is that just about every speaker that I have heard that is highly efficient is typically a horn based unit. As such, the
"cupped hands" effect is to me more of a detriment than the ability to get the microdynamic thing right.
Alon's horn based system would be interesting to hear, BUT I suspect that like I said, it's probably got other issues that would preclude it for me. Just speculating.:)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Microdynamics certainly are really important. Only problem is that just about every speaker that I have heard that is highly efficient is typically a horn based unit. As such, the
"cupped hands" effect is to me more of a detriment than the ability to get the microdynamic thing right.
Alon's horn based system would be interesting to hear, BUT I suspect that like I said, it's probably got other issues that would preclude it for me. Just speculating.:)

Next time you are up in LA, you are welcome to stop by my room. Non-horn based btw.

Nobody has said Alon's horn system exhibits cupped hands, but proof is in the pudding--and at 400k, will never be in that market!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Next time you are up in LA, you are welcome to stop by my room. Non-horn based btw.

Nobody has said Alon's horn system exhibits cupped hands, but proof is in the pudding--and at 400k, will never be in that market!

Thank you for the invite, Keith. Same applies to you when you are in the San Diego area.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing