Takoyaki

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

In our last trip to Singapore, my wife and daughter took out some of these 'balls' that I don't really know about. But after my first bite, I had to ask them what it was. It's Takoyaki, made from octopus and a host of other things that I'd rather just buy and not make myself. :) It was so good I could have eaten ten pieces for snack. ;) My wife told me there's a place locally that makes it and it tastes almost as good as those that we ate in Singapore. It's 2 hours away by car. I had to pull the hand brake. ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Whether it's chilled langostines in Paris, a Lobster salad in boston, takoyaki in Osaka, or Cantonese Prawn Salad, seafood and mayo just make my day. There's a takoyaki outfit that caters to parties and stuff Phil. I've had them at a few kiddie parties. It's probably the same outfit your wifey mentioned. IIRC there is supposed to be one at the foodcourt of Virra Mall. I'll take a look if the rumors are true. That would make it just a 45 minute trip for you at worst :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Whether it's chilled langostines in Paris, a Lobster salad in boston, takoyaki in Osaka, or Cantonese Prawn Salad, seafood and mayo just make my day. There's a takoyaki outfit that caters to parties and stuff Phil. I've had them at a few kiddie parties. It's probably the same outfit your wifey mentioned. IIRC there is supposed to be one at the foodcourt of Virra Mall. I'll take a look if the rumors are true. That would make it just a 45 minute trip for you at worst :)

Oooh...Good news if there's one in Virra Mall, Jack. Well, on a Sunday, 20 minutes to arrive there and another 20 to look for parking. LOL The one my wife told me about is in Paseo Sta. Rosa, Laguna. Imagine 4 hours to and fro for a snack. LOL

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have been to Japan a million times and walked past the eateries serving TakoYaki but never tried it! It is one of my regrets. Will have to fix that next time I am there :).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

In our last trip to Singapore, my wife and daughter took out some of these 'balls' that I don't really know about. But after my first bite, I had to ask them what it was. It's Takoyaki, made from octopus and a host of other things that I'd rather just buy and not make myself. :) It was so good I could have eaten ten pieces for snack. ;) My wife told me there's a place locally that makes it and it tastes almost as good as those that we ate in Singapore. It's 2 hours away by car. I had to pull the hand brake. ;)

I don't know about you guys. I have to draw the line somewhere

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It looks better in person Steve, usually looks more like this

It's like the Japanese version of fried calamari with tartar sauce except it's in a ball and the creamy mayo is inside instead of rings that are dipped. There's also a bit of teriyaki sauce and some herbs. It's not really very "exotic" but it is delicious. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It looks better in person Steve, usually looks more like this

It's like the Japanese version of fried calamari with tartar sauce except it's in a ball and the creamy mayo is inside instead of rings that are dipped. There's also a bit of teriyaki sauce and some herbs. It's not really very "exotic" but it is delicious. :)

Looks yummy as it is, Jack. And talking about mayo, Kewpie mayo from Japan is our family's favorite where mayo is needed, or not needed. LOL. My son who hated eating vegetables suddenly became a salad fanatic because of Kewpie mayo, and not any other brand - that's his salad dressing. ;)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Jadis,

Come stay a weekend with us in Sta. Rosa and we'll go taste the takoyaki together.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I have been to Japan a million times and walked past the eateries serving TakoYaki but never tried it! It is one of my regrets. Will have to fix that next time I am there :).

Thanks, Jadis. I second the recommendation for Kewpie mayo and takoyaki.

Amir,
there's a stall in the K-Mart Foodcourt down in Federal Way that has TakoYaki if you want to try it closer to home. Uwajimaya also has the frozen variety. However, neither are as good as the ones you can get in the Meiji-ya foodcourt in Singapore or the streets of Tokyo.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Gary. I am going to have to try it locally as I don't know when the next trip to Japan is.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis,

Come stay a weekend with us in Sta. Rosa and we'll go taste the takoyaki together.

Thanks for the invite, Mullard. I'll see when my sked with the family allows the long trip.

Ghost

Hey there everyone! There's this new Takoyaki place that's been around just over a year or so. Name's "eh 'di balls!", and it has branches in Festival Mall Alabang, SM North Edsa, and SM Fairview. Drop by and try 'em out. You won't be disappointed. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey there everyone! There's this new Takoyaki place that's been around just over a year or so. Name's "eh 'di balls!", and it has branches in Festival Mall Alabang, SM North Edsa, and SM Fairview. Drop by and try 'em out. You won't be disappointed. :)

Thanks. SM North is not too far from my place.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i have had this with my girlfriend who is from Japan...definitely try it with the mayo from the picture above which is a Japanese recipe and is very nice.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
sorry guys ill have to disagree...I love food in japan, but not this its far from haute cuisine. For those that don’t know what they are, the balls are made from a waffle-like batter with pieces of octopus. there is considerable skill in cooking these, they work furiously with hashi turning the octopus/batter mixture in a hot tray not unlike mini muffin pan. The result are greasy balls smothered in takoyaki sauce (sweet worcestshire-like sauce), mayonnaise, dried bonito (fish) flakes and aonori (seaweed powder) – none of which, imo, tastes good together! these are sold all over Japan and very common at sporting events.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing