Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Reactions: 2ndLiner
Has anyone else been having a problem updating Roon on their Extreme? Mine is running Roon Server Version 2.0 (build 1359) which is from 1st Feb. Current production is 1407. Every time I check for new versions, it shows the progress bar to around 75% then I get this error message

‘There was an error checking for an update’.

Apologies for what is undoubtedly an unpopular question at this time of mass activity. :rolleyes:

Has anyone else been having a problem updating Roon on their Extreme? Mine is running Roon Server Version 2.0 (build 1359) which is from 1st Feb. Current production is 1407. Every time I check for new versions, it shows the progress bar to around 75% then I get this error message

‘There was an error checking for an update’.

Apologies for what is undoubtedly an unpopular question at this time of mass activity. :rolleyes:
No problem updating on my end. Did you try a soft reboot on the Extreme? Then attempt to proceed with the update.

Reactions: Malcng
No problem updating on my end. Did you try a soft reboot on the Extreme? Then attempt to proceed with the update.

Yes, tried that several times John. Thanks. I haven’t updated XDMS since installation at the end of Jan, I don’t know whether that has any relevance at all. I doubt it though.

Yes, tried that several times John. Thanks. I haven’t updated XDMS since installation at the end of Jan, I don’t know whether that has any relevance at all. I doubt it though.
Shot in the dark here Malc: Go into Roon Settings, Setup, Clear Cache, it will prompt you to do a restart, do the restart. See if that works...I also doubt if updating XDMS will have anything to do with this...

Shot in the dark here Malc: Go into Roon Settings, Setup, Clear Cache, it will prompt you to do a restart, do the restart. See if that works...I also doubt if updating XDMS will have anything to do with this...
Support@taikoaudio.com ;)

Most likely your roon version is too old, luckily we have an easy fix for that.
Just check in the downloads section on our website "reinstall roon desktop shortcut", where you can find a manual and a file.

Should you still experience problems, shoot us a message at support@taikoaudio.com and we'll help you after our return from the Munich show.

BTW, it is advisable to keep roon updated on all devices on a regular basis, we have pretty much mitigated the sound differences between versions.

Reactions: Malcng
BTW clearing the Cache after every listening session is a valuable tip. @Kris turned me onto doing this, takes 10 seconds and it keeps the evil spirts away...When XDMI is available and no more XDMS for a while that clearing of the cache will be helpful...

BTW clearing the Cache after every listening session is a valuable tip. @Kris turned me onto doing this, takes 10 seconds and it keeps the evil spirts away...When XDMI is available and no more XDMS for a while that clearing of the cache will be helpful...

Glad it worked for you John.
I clear it after each session so when I start listening next day all is clean.

• Wow
Reactions: audio42 and John T
Yes. I do it also after every listening session. Great tip

Reactions: John T and Kris
It does say Image Cache but I think it has other attributes to it. I find by doing as @Kris suggested (after every listening session) it alleviates other kinds of hiccups...

It does say Image Cache but I think it has other attributes to it. I find by doing as @Kris suggested (after every listening session) it alleviates other kinds of hiccups...
This is what I do as well Mike.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
I thought u never use roon...

Well I thought u never use roon...
I dont
Im talking about clearing the cache with XDMS, IIRC Kris made these comments wrt XDMS

Reactions: Armsan
I’m running out of storage space on the extreme. I have the taiko router and switch. If I remember correctly there was a plan to run a nas direct from the router that would be immune to network effects? Is this still in the works? If not what would the best way (sound wise) to add more space without having to spend a bomb on a new NVME PCIE card?

I’m running out of storage space on the extreme. I have the taiko router and switch. If I remember correctly there was a plan to run a nas direct from the router that would be immune to network effects? Is this still in the works? If not what would the best way (sound wise) to add more space without having to spend a bomb on a new NVME PCIE card?

With my Extreme I use my internal storage for XDMS and a NAS for Roon. I can’t tell a difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing