Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Yes, appreciate everyone's help and especially to Ed! Nice to have the Switch/NIC up and running.
Hopefully Ed's description of the fix will help someone else with similar issue in the future. Thanks again!

-Jay M.
We recently put a few new documents pertaining to this on the Taiko Audio site in the Downloads section:
1Gb Network Speed Requirement for certain Extreme products
How to check Network Connection Speed
How to check Network Connection Status and Extreme Switch and Network Card Status

Using one of the links from the recent post from @Christiaan Punter this is what I see. It appears to be different from what should be seen if the switch and card are working. Would anyone have an idea on this? Thanks!

1689615006768.png

Last edited:
Using one of the links from the recent post from @Christiaan Punter this is what I see. It appears to be different from what should be seen if the switch and card are working. Would anyone have an idea on this? Thanks!

View attachment 113395
At first glance, the first item in your list “network 7“ shows gigabit fiber, which, according to Christian‘s document is the network card inside the server. (Not the motherboard slot.) And there are no red ”X”s so appears to be properly connected. Are you having a problem?

my understanding from Christian’s document is that “fiber” is merely the designation for the Taiko card, not necessarily indicating a fiber connection.

At first glance, the first item in your list “network 7“ shows gigabit fiber, which, according to Christian‘s document is the network card inside the server. (Not the motherboard slot.) And there are no red ”X”s so appears to be properly connected. Are you having a problem?

my understanding from Christian’s document is that “fiber” is merely the designation for the Taiko card, not necessarily indicating a fiber connection.
Everything seems to be working fine but when I looked at the link Christiaan provided (see below) mine looks different. I want to make sure that I'm connected correctly. Thanks, Bob!

1689617772480.png

Reactions: Bobvin
Thanks, Emile! As my system is sounding by far the best it ever has, I was wondering if it's not connected correctly what will the SQ jump be when it is :)

Sorry to disappoint, there’s more around the corner though!

Everything seems to be working fine but when I looked at the link Christiaan provided (see below) mine looks different. I want to make sure that I'm connected correctly. Thanks, Bob!

View attachment 113396
What I have started to do on Customer Extremes is to rename the Adapters, LAN1, LAN2 and Taiko NIC

Dear Steve and Emile .
Would it make sense to repace the choice of different connections at the beginning of each page? :

„With respect to the Taiko Extreme how do you connect it to your DAC”​

as no one is using it anymore I believe

With someting like :

When Taiko Dream Team is planning to release the next groundbraking product for your rig:

1. XDMS - October 2023
2. BPS - Novembrt 2023
3. Router siver - end of July 2023
4. Router black - end of August 2023
5. Xyz
6. „Secret weapon to eliminate noise”
7. „ Steve idea to brake the vibration”

here you can list ALL things that you have in the pipeline with codes / or real names.

With that in place Taiko Team can update it if needed at any time and many of us will have a track of things to keep saving money to purchese it when the time comes.

That will also avoid many questions related to the product release timing And will save a little time of Taiko Team to get us their products little bit sooner.

Last edited:

Taiko Audio Extreme Music Server - On Artesania Exoteryc versus Finite Elemente Pagode Master Reference​

After my earlier Footer- and placement experiments using the Taiko Extreme Network Switch it is now time to see what happens when I move the Extreme Music Server from the Artesania Exoteryc Audio Rack to the Finite Elemente Pagode Master Reference Platform.

From the very first instance that the server entered my system, it was placed in pole position on top of an Artesania Exoteryc rack, directly on the beechwood footers that are part of the Carbon Fiber Linear Arms option. These feet are in direct contact with the server’s bottom panel and bypass the server’s own feet.

Extreme_Server_Pagode_CP_4X3A2425_corr_1600pix.jpg

Extreme_Server_Pagode_CP_4X3A8741_1600pix.jpg

Extreme_Server_Pagode_CP_4X3A8709_1600pix.jpg

In the earlier Extreme Network Switch report, I only used the Pagode platform only as supplied, with Finite Elemente Cerabase footers. For this Extreme Server comparison, however, I wanted to be certain that the ideal footers were used, so, in addition to Cerabase footers, I also had Cerapucs and standard spikes at hand.

Extreme_Server_Pagode_CP_4X3A3452_1600pix.jpg

With help from my friendly neighbors, I moved the Extreme onto the Pagode, which was fitted with standard spikes. As soon as we tapped play (using XDMS NSM and local library content), all three of us were pleasantly surprised!

While the Pagode had not mated particularly well with the CH A1.5 power amp earlier, the match with the Extreme Server seemed to be highly synergistic. Of course, we were now using spikes rather than Cerabase, and the server was now sitting on its own feet, which I’m sure also plays a considerable part. Visually, the Extreme also truly looks the part on the platform that seems to be custom-made to be a perfect fit. The Extreme now sounded more solid and full-bodied but not thick and with a significantly more convincing midrange timbre. The Pagode was not more revealing, rather, it was more concealing but still, it somehow made for a more emotionally involving presentation. Tracks that sounded a little threadbare on the Exoteryc now felt more “live” and more organic. Ultimately, though, the Exoteryc did provide a more high-res rendition with better articulation and higher overall transparency.

Extreme_Server_Pagode_CP_4X3A3451_1600pix.jpg

Changing the spikes for Cerapuc we were again surprised at the large difference, this time not changing timbre, flow, or the organic nature, but simply improving the articulation, precision, and expression across the board. Now, subtle sounds that had been hidden in the mix (Pink Floyd’s Animals, for example), now stood out much more vividly. The only additional change that the Cerapucs introduced was a more solid foundation leading to bigger bass. But thanks to the increased articulation, this was not at all a problem. I still did not feel the Pagode was as “invisible” or as highly resolving as the Exoteryc, but it was certainly the more “musical”, more emotionally appealing, approach.

Extreme_Server_Pagode_CP_4X3A3445_1600pix.jpg

Finally stepping up to the Cerabase footers, the sound became so full that the balance was thrown off, particularly because the bass and lower midrange were now too thick. Along with this, we noticed that the dynamic behavior was less spritely and the aforementioned animal sounds were again buried in the mix. How interesting! These feet are rated for a 40 – 500 kg of component weight for which the Extreme Network Switch was indeed a little too light. But the Extreme Server weighs 50 kg which theoretically fits within the range. But maybe these feet only start coming into their own when an entire rack is resting on them?

In any case, whether used with normal spikes or with Finite Elemente Cerapucs, the Pagode Master Reference works like a charm with the Extreme Music Server!

As always, to be continued!

Industrial Grade Platforms. I made the forms and poured the concrete. The one under the Mephisto weighs approx. 250lbs, the one under the Extreme around 200lbs. Both have 3/4" cork adhered to the bottoms. I live in a log home so it works in this style home. I rarely have had to move them. The Extreme I can man handle. The Mephisto is a Mother to move!!

Attachments

• IMG_0862[423].JPG
    IMG_0862[423].JPG
    631.3 KB · Views: 35

Taiko Audio Extreme Music Server - On Artesania Exoteryc versus Finite Elemente Pagode Master Reference​

After my earlier Footer- and placement experiments using the Taiko Extreme Network Switch it is now time to see what happens when I move the Extreme Music Server from the Artesania Exoteryc Audio Rack to the Finite Elemente Pagode Master Reference Platform.

From the very first instance that the server entered my system, it was placed in pole position on top of an Artesania Exoteryc rack, directly on the beechwood footers that are part of the Carbon Fiber Linear Arms option. These feet are in direct contact with the server’s bottom panel and bypass the server’s own feet.

View attachment 113490

View attachment 113497

View attachment 113498

In the earlier Extreme Network Switch report, I only used the Pagode platform only as supplied, with Finite Elemente Cerabase footers. For this Extreme Server comparison, however, I wanted to be certain that the ideal footers were used, so, in addition to Cerabase footers, I also had Cerapucs and standard spikes at hand.

View attachment 113491

With help from my friendly neighbors, I moved the Extreme onto the Pagode, which was fitted with standard spikes. As soon as we tapped play (using XDMS NSM and local library content), all three of us were pleasantly surprised!

While the Pagode had not mated particularly well with the CH A1.5 power amp earlier, the match with the Extreme Server seemed to be highly synergistic. Of course, we were now using spikes rather than Cerabase, and the server was now sitting on its own feet, which I’m sure also plays a considerable part. Visually, the Extreme also truly looks the part on the platform that seems to be custom-made to be a perfect fit. The Extreme now sounded more solid and full-bodied but not thick and with a significantly more convincing midrange timbre. The Pagode was not more revealing, rather, it was more concealing but still, it somehow made for a more emotionally involving presentation. Tracks that sounded a little threadbare on the Exoteryc now felt more “live” and more organic. Ultimately, though, the Exoteryc did provide a more high-res rendition with better articulation and higher overall transparency.

View attachment 113494

Changing the spikes for Cerapuc we were again surprised at the large difference, this time not changing timbre, flow, or the organic nature, but simply improving the articulation, precision, and expression across the board. Now, subtle sounds that had been hidden in the mix (Pink Floyd’s Animals, for example), now stood out much more vividly. The only additional change that the Cerapucs introduced was a more solid foundation leading to bigger bass. But thanks to the increased articulation, this was not at all a problem. I still did not feel the Pagode was as “invisible” or as highly resolving as the Exoteryc, but it was certainly the more “musical”, more emotionally appealing, approach.

View attachment 113495

Finally stepping up to the Cerabase footers, the sound became so full that the balance was thrown off, particularly because the bass and lower midrange were now too thick. Along with this, we noticed that the dynamic behavior was less spritely and the aforementioned animal sounds were again buried in the mix. How interesting! These feet are rated for a 40 – 500 kg of component weight for which the Extreme Network Switch was indeed a little too light. But the Extreme Server weighs 50 kg which theoretically fits within the range. But maybe these feet only start coming into their own when an entire rack is resting on them?

In any case, whether used with normal spikes or with Finite Elemente Cerapucs, the Pagode Master Reference works like a charm with the Extreme Music Server!

As always, to be continued!
Thanks for the report.

I tried my Taiko Extreme on a Pagode Master ref. mk2 with the regular spikes direclty on the floor like you vs. on a Daiza platform on the floor. For my system/room, the Daiza sounded better. Then I tried two Daiza, and preferred only one.

In my experience, for most equipment, the Pagode Master ref. mk2 ref tends to have a positive effect, not changing the tonal balance, but improving the body of the midrange, making it more realistic. I am currently using two Pagode master ref. mk2, with regular spikes, under my external passive crossovers.

P.S. Also tried a HRS M3X2 and a CMS Maxxum with the Taiko Extreme and preferred one Daiza (for my system/room/taste).

Last edited:
Industrial Grade Platforms. I made the forms and poured the concrete. The one under the Mephisto weighs approx. 250lbs, the one under the Extreme around 200lbs. Both have 3/4" cork adhered to the bottoms. I live in a log home so it works in this style home. I rarely have had to move them. The Extreme I can man handle. The Mephisto is a Mother to move!!
When do these hit the market, John :)

Shipping would be interesting Michael! LOL!!! The pic doesn't show the patina on the concrete, kind of a cool earth tone...

When they hit the market they'll hit hard -- you'll feel the shock wave, Michael.

Steve Z

When they hit the market they'll hit hard -- you'll feel the shock wave, Michael.

Steve Z
Its actually the exact same method as concrete counter tops are made. I used silicone on the joints of the form to make a bull nose edge. My entrepreneur days are long past, "oh to be young and hungry"

What I have started to do on Customer Extremes is to rename the Adapters, LAN1, LAN2 and Taiko NIC

I was curious to look at the Network Connections and rename the Adapters as Ed described.

My Network Connections are similar to 2ndLiner (see attached image).

Ethernet 2 (Network 3) is the Extreme Network Card, so that would be renamed “Taiko NIC.”

And I am assuming that “Tweaked Ethernet” is the Taiko Enhanced USB Card (formally known as Awesome!).

So would “Standard Ethernet” be LAN1 and “Tweaked Ethernet” LAN2?

Attachments

• extreme network.png
    extreme network.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 8
I was curious to look at the Network Connections and rename the Adapters as Ed described.

My Network Connections are similar to 2ndLiner (see attached image).

Ethernet 2 (Network 3) is the Extreme Network Card, so that would be renamed “Taiko NIC.”

And I am assuming that “Tweaked Ethernet” is the Taiko Enhanced USB Card (formally known as Awesome!).

So would “Standard Ethernet” be LAN1 and “Tweaked Ethernet” LAN2?

USB is not an Ethernet connection. The other 2 correspond to the 2 motherboard Ethernet ports.

Reactions: oldmustang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing