TAD Reference D700 CD/SACD player

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Just sharing opinion from TADL CEO regarding D700.

Regarding USB, considering the following points.
*Fist of all, D700 is focusing a disc player.
*Many people are already using a separate USB DAC.
*Demand for network player is higher than for USB DAC.
*Installing USB will adversely affect SACD playback.

However, we dare to believe that the ultimate disc player will meet the needs of audiophiles who still own discs.
The D1000TX has USB, so it's a contradiction in terms of answers, but that's the policy for our reference model.

This is our opinion, but others may have a different opinion.

Reactions: sujay and Amir

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The TAD is a superlative integrated player but as a separate DAC, it is not that impressive. I stopped using my TAD D600 as a separate DAC many moons ago.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
CD is not dead , You can buy amused to death $5000 CD album from ebay

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I told you before TAD reference is no compromise design and their decision is 100% right.

Just sharing opinion from TADL CEO regarding D700.

Regarding USB, considering the following points.
*Fist of all, D700 is focusing a disc player.
*Many people are already using a separate USB DAC.
*Demand for network player is higher than for USB DAC.
*Installing USB will adversely affect SACD playback.

However, we dare to believe that the ultimate disc player will meet the needs of audiophiles who still own discs.
The D1000TX has USB, so it's a contradiction in terms of answers, but that's the policy for our reference model.

This is our opinion, but others may have a different opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: standingwave

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
@dcc Have you ever compared the D600 with other complete players or separate solutions?
Yes
TAD D600 is even better than 120k dCS
TAD D600 is even better than most $30k DAC in market

if you want better performance go for Wadax ($300k)

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
The TAD is a superlative integrated player but as a separate DAC, it is not that impressive. I stopped using my TAD D600 as a separate DAC many moons ago.

if you want compare TAD DAC then you should find a transport that works with lifted ground .
TAD AC in is lifted earth wire and if you connect any component to TAD system you should remove ac earth connection and be sure that component is fully balance and is ok with lifted earth.

I do not use any other components in my TAD system

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
if you want compare TAD DAC then you should find a transport that works with lifted ground .
TAD AC in is lifted earth wire and if you connect any component to TAD system you should remove ac earth connection and be sure that component is fully balance and is ok with lifted earth.

I do not use any other components in my TAD system
Beside playing CDs and SACDs, I was using the TAD D600 as a DAC for an Aurender music server but actually the Weiss DAC 501 did a better job with the Aurender. I now have a full Merging Technologies for playing and streaming high resolution files. The TAD D600 is only used for playing CDs and SACDs.

Reactions: Stef

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
@dcc Have you ever compared the D600 with other complete players or separate solutions?
Yes,

Audio Aero la Source which I owned and got replaced by the TAD D600
Full dCS Vivaldi stack
Weiss 501 DAC and Aurender server - I still have the Weiss DAC, I sold the Aurender
Thrax Maximinus DAC + Aurender N20
Full Merging Technologies stack which I own

Reactions: Amir and Verdier

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
ddc
I agree you that Weiss is better if you connect to Aurender. TAD Design is special and I do not connect any thing to my TAD D600/C600/M700.
When I wanted to test Vitus SIA-030 in my home then I connected Vitus to CEC TL0 / Weiss Medus and i did not used any TAD in the chain.

no doubt the TAD Reference System performance is the highest quality we can get from CD Playback if we use complete TAD System.

I believe if USA or European companies produce a system at TAD performance their price tag will be 4 times more expensive .

Reactions: Panas

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Yes,

Full dCS Vivaldi stack
Weiss 501 DAC and Aurender server - I still have the Weiss DAC, I sold the Aurender
Interesting and extensive trials. I heard Thrax Maximinus DAC once and was very impressed
By chance have you ever tried the Esoteric Grandioso CD player and DAC and if yes how does it compare to your actual system?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Interesting and extensive trials. I heard Thrax Maximinus DAC once and was very impressed
By chance have you ever tried the Esoteric Grandioso CD player and DAC and if yes how does it compare to your actual system?
I did not have the chance to listen to the Esoteric combo in my system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes,

Full dCS Vivaldi stack
I have heard the Audio Area la Source many years ago in a shoot out with an older spec Zanden DAC (but without its own Transport which makes a huge difference...the clock for the Zanden is in the transport not in the DAC). And I know that particular DAC and what happens when you add the transport...and then when you upgrade to latest spec.

So curious as to how the TAD 600 (which i have heard but not in a shoot out) compares with the Audio Aero.

Reactions: Amir

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I have heard the Audio Area la Source many years ago in a shoot out with an older spec Zanden DAC (but without its own Transport which makes a huge difference...the clock for the Zanden is in the transport not in the DAC). And I know that particular DAC and what happens when you add the transport...and then when you upgrade to latest spec.

So curious as to how the TAD 600 (which i have heard but not in a shoot out) compares with the Audio Aero.

Whereas the Audio Areo La Source sounded great with most of the DAC parts supplied by CH Precision/Anagram, I faced several issues with the transport mechanism from Esoteric. The first transport was very noisy and had to be replaced. When the second one started failing reading CDs, I gave up. By then the company had closed its doors. Whilst Vermeer has taken over and stil provides support for La Source, this is limited to the DAC section and not the transport section.

The TAD is anyway far superior sonically and the build quality is second to none. I should have bought the D600 directly instead of the Audio Aero La Source.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...good to know! That was many years ago I heard the Audio Aero La Source...the non-latest spec Zanden DAC was the winner at the time by a bit. And as the older generation, standalone Zanden DAC without its own dedicated Transport/Clock...sounds like the latest spec 4-box Zanden was the right decision given the reliability issue which I was not aware of at that time. Thanks for the insights.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Was told that TAD factory is clearing remaining stock of D600. Opportunity for those who wants a superlative CD/SACD player

Reactions: Panas and Stef

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
No thanks. That would be very interesting in principle. But unfortunately it was also reported here (I mean by @Amir) that the unit should be operated in a balanced hi-fi system to show everything it can do. My system is unbalanced throughout. Too bad, TAD.

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Listening to the new TAD D700. I prefer its sound to the Nagra HD DAX X, which I have now sold.

Reactions: Panas

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
Listening to the new TAD D700. I prefer its sound to the Nagra HD DAX X, which I have now sold.

Given the pedigree of your system, that’s saying a lot. Would it he a question of a same brand synergy ?

Do you use the D700 as a SACD / CD player or as a DAC ? Thanks.

Last edited:

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Many factors, I believe.
Same brand synergy is definitely part of it. Along the same lines, I'm hoping to get the new TAD preamplifier C700 when it appears next year. Then I will have a complete TAD system, apart from the Taiko Extreme server/streamer.
The D700 has a true balanced output, whereas the Nagra HD DAC X did not (so I used a RCA cable to connect it to the preamplifier). When I compare, I definitely prefer the balanced output, it has more body, dynamics, bass, room ambience, and stereo separation. This is not a case of comparing a well thought out and implemented balanced output with a secondary unbalanced, RCA output, since the Nagra HD DAC X has a single ended circuit, and is a true asymmetric unit, where the RCA output would be its primary, highest quality output.
Although my Nagra HD Preamplifier HV also is single ended, it has an input transformer for true balanced inputs, and a stepped output transformer (which is also the volume control, hence the stepping) for true balanced outputs.
The future TAD C700 preamplifier will have true symmetric circuits as well, I can't wait to hear that.
Also, for the TAD D700, I have changed both the power cable (previously the Audience Front Row) and the signal cable (previously Cardas Clear Beyond) to the Absolue Créations TIM Absolue (their new top of the line, not yet listed on their website). I really like these cables, very musical. I won't change the remaining signal cable (preamplifier to power amps), which will stay Cardas Clear Beyond, or the other power cables, which will stay Audience Front Row, since the current mix of front end Absolue Créations and downstream Audience + Cardas seems to be exactly the right dosage (like making fine Champagne) for me (at least for now).
I'm currently using the Shunyata Omega AES/EBU cable from the Taiko Extreme to the TAD D700, but, since I just received the Signal Projects Avaton AES/EBU cable (from Greece), I will try that in my system tomorrow.
I don't mind that the TAD D700 only has an AES/EBU (or RCA) digital input, and doesn't have an USB input, since my experience over a year with both Shunyata Omega AES/EBU and USB (exactly the same 1.5 meter lengths between the Taiko Extreme and the Nagra HD DAC X) clearly showed that AES/EBU is far superior to USB (more body, more musical), at least in my considered (subjective) judgment.
Also, an USB circuit in the D700 would have added a lot of computer noise to the unit, which I can do without, so I am very happy that the D700 does not have one. I see that Berkeley Audio Design took the same approach with their Alpha DAC Reference Series 3, which also deliberately left out an USB input. If one insists on using an USB input, the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB unit will convert USB to AES/EBU.
I use the TAD D700 both as a CD/SACD player and as a DAC. It's working wonderfully in both roles.
The TAD D700 and the Absolue Créations cables are still breaking in, so there is more to come.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing