TAD Reference D700 CD/SACD player

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
S

Any regret so far as no USB input?
None whatsover. I tested USB v AES in my system for a year, using my previous DAC, the Nagra HD DAC, and reached the conclusion that I (note subjectivity) preferred AES by far. Luckily, when I ordered my Taiko Extreme server/streamer back in late 2020, I ordered it with the optional AES output. Clearly, though, those who do not have an AES output on their digital source will be inconvenienced by the lack of an USB input on the TAD D700. My feeling (again, note subjectivity) is that USB, a computer link originally, never designed for audio, induces a great deal of noise in audio systems, and I'm much better off without such an input, including all the ancillary electronic systems required to support USB.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
the important thing is TAD D700/C600/M700 all are double isolated class II products so they do not connect to earth wire and if you connect a dac or music server to TAD then the ground of all components will connect to earth. this is not bad but in my experience it will degrade the sound.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
if you want to isolate grounds then for connecting transport or music server to AES/EBU input of D700 you can remove Pin1 of XLR Cable just only at the end side.

1700980860318.png

Last edited:

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
S

Any regret so far as no USB input?
I've also found that my music preferences on Tidal and Qobuz are all a maximum of 24 bits/192 kHz, so can play on AES. My ripped files are mostly 16 bit/44.1 KHz, so no problems there as well. The very high frequencies permitted by USB seem to me to be a theoretical marketing exercise, at least for me. I also suspect that the high USB frequencies are much more prone to jitter than AES.

Reactions: GSOphile

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
2 years ago, I bought TAD D1000TX despite knowing that the launch of TAD D600 successor was imminent, thinking that I won’t spend much on digital gears. I was thinking digital gears won’t sound close to analog setup.

So I have been happy with D1000TX. Although my cartridge is a humble Audio Technica ART-9, with CH precision P1 and Thales TT, the analog sound is always better than the digital setup by quite a big margin, being more dynamic, more natural flow, wider sound stage etc. And I was thinking no ifs, ands, or buts about it, analog should sound better.

Fast forward 2 years later, D700 is launched in 2022 to replace D600. And I have been curious about the performance and trying very hard to resist it

Recently I loan D700 from local dealer for home trial, and hope that the performance delta between D1000TX and D700 is not significantly big so that I can keep my wallet safe.

Well, in a nutshell. I have to spend to keep D700 after comparing both. D700 is bringing my digital setup sound comparably close to my analog setup. Although I have not listened to the top flagship DAC from Wadax, MSB, dcs etc, the price is much more than what I am comfortable to spend.

I will just take it as early Christmas present for myself to further rationalize the purchase.

Being a huge believer in full TAD loom from upstream to speaker. I hope this is the ‘end game’ of my system, at least for now

IMG_5570.jpeg

IMG_5568.jpeg

Last edited:

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
2 years ago, I bought TAD D1000TX despite knowing the launch of TAD D600 successor was imminent, thinking that I won’t spend much on digital gears. I was thinking digital gears won’t sound close to analog setup.

So I have been happy with D1000TX. Although my cartridge is a humble Audio Technica ART-9, with CH precision P1 and Thales TT, the analog sound is always better than the digital setup by quite a big margin, being more dynamic, more natural flow, wider sound stage etc. And I was thinking no ifs, ands, or buts about it, analog should sounds better.

Fast forward 2 years later, D700 is launched in 2022 to replace D600. And I have been curious about the performance and trying very hard to resist it

Recently I loan D700 from local dealer for home trial, and hope that the performance delta between D1000TX and D700 is not significantly big so that I can keep my wallet safe.

Well, in a nutshell. I have to spend to keep D700 after comparing both. D700 is bringing my digital setup sound comparably close to my analog setup.

I will just take it as early Christmas present for myself to further rationalize the purchase.

Being a huge believer in full TAD loom from upstream to speaker. I hope this is the ‘end game’ of my system, at least for now

View attachment 121085

View attachment 121084
Congratulations!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
2 years ago, I bought TAD D1000TX despite knowing that the launch of TAD D600 successor was imminent, thinking that I won’t spend much on digital gears. I was thinking digital gears won’t sound close to analog setup.

So I have been happy with D1000TX. Although my cartridge is a humble Audio Technica ART-9, with CH precision P1 and Thales TT, the analog sound is always better than the digital setup by quite a big margin, being more dynamic, more natural flow, wider sound stage etc. And I was thinking no ifs, ands, or buts about it, analog should sound better.

Well, in a nutshell. I have to spend to keep D700 after comparing both. D700 is bringing my digital setup sound comparably close to my analog setup. Although I have not listened to the top flagship DAC from Wadax, MSB, dcs etc, the price is much more than what I am comfortable to spend.

View attachment 121085

View attachment 121084
Congrats! Big news and remember TAD well when we were in Japan at Pioneer Plaza which is where TAD's main HQ showroom was.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing