T.H.E. Show 2022 Long Beach

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I was at The Show yesterday afternoon. Traffic was light which I expected in the Sunday pm time slot. My highlights of the show were somewhat surprising.

Best of Show: time spent with J.R. Bosclair of WAM Engineering - he has several new products and services which look very promising for taking analog replay and alignment to an even higher level.

Best Sounds of Show:
Prana Fidelity/EAR Prana's new stand mount with integral stands we sublime and an incredible value at approximately $10-12k ( the new birch cabinets looked amazing!)

Smaller Veriy's and Vitus in the Cake Audio Room (kudos to Ken Boyce)

Alta Audio Adam speakers, powered by Infigo electronics

Raidho 3.2 driven by Margules I-240 integrated amplifier (the amplifier is only 25 tube watts running Class A powering a $70k speaker effortlessly and will great musicality. At $6k that's saying something!

Was not able to stay long but Phillip O'Hanlon's new floor-standing LS5/5 Graham speakers sounded very good as well.

Acoustics appeared very challenging at the Hilton in the bigger rooms across the board so do not want to judge those systems unfairly.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Zingali with valves is very warm and colored. Bloated midbass too
Very bloated. I don't think there were many valves in the path, but I'm not familiar with JMF. I think the guy said one of the components was hybrid tube / SS.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com

Attachments

• PXL_20220611_173717069.jpg
    PXL_20220611_173717069.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 14

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

What's the midbass and bass?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I heard them at the munich show .
Too warm , coloured no bass do i need to continue..
Did you hear a good horn while u were there?

I'm trying to think of how many horns there were in total - not many. Zingali Client 1.5 was the closest horn integration to a sound that I thought could be promising, but their low end was just too problematic. What I liked from them was that the horn dispersion seemed quite good, sound had depth instead of being projectile, and the speakers themselves did fairly well at disappearing so to speak. I figured the blue Top Wing was used to try to balance the bass-heaviness, but if Pear Audio TTs themselves are warm, then I don't understand.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Smaller Verity with Zesto were also the most musical of the cones in Munich 2019. Of the videos I then recorded, three had the same Royal ballet track, and people preferred the Verity, which is what I thought sounded the best in person

The Alta audio were quite musical at Rhapsody

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
I was at The Show yesterday afternoon. Traffic was light which I expected in the Sunday pm time slot. My highlights of the show were somewhat surprising.

Best of Show: time spent with J.R. Bosclair of WAM Engineering - he has several new products and services which look very promising for taking analog replay and alignment to an even higher level.

Best Sounds of Show:
Prana Fidelity/EAR Prana's new stand mount with integral stands we sublime and an incredible value at approximately $10-12k ( the new birch cabinets looked amazing!)

Smaller Veriy's and Vitus in the Cake Audio Room (kudos to Ken Boyce)

Alta Audio Adam speakers, powered by Infigo electronics

Raidho 3.2 driven by Margules I-240 integrated amplifier (the amplifier is only 25 tube watts running Class A powering a $70k speaker effortlessly and will great musicality. At $6k that's saying something!

Was not able to stay long but Phillip O'Hanlon's new floor-standing LS5/5 Graham speakers sounded very good as well.

Acoustics appeared very challenging at the Hilton in the bigger rooms across the board so do not want to judge those systems unfairly.
Hi Gary! Thank you for the very kind words. It was certainly a pleasure to have met you at the show.

I had a good time delivering my seminars and answering the questions from audience members. I know that our research into the state of affairs in the industry might seem to be cause for analog despair but I don’t see it that way. I figure that if we can enjoy our analog to the degree that we do without even knowing how to truly optimize our playback (or for that matter, the cutting of the lacquer) then you can just imagine how much more there is for us to look forward to when we take the time and effort to optimize our set up!

We have much more research and advancements in the works. Stay tuned!

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com

russtafarian

Jul 11, 2012
View attachment 94483

View attachment 94484

View attachment 94485

PBN audio.

Love the TT. But the JBL horns are absolutely not my cup of tea.

I'm going to give PBN the benefit of the doubt and suggest this setup is an experiment or prototype. That's a long-throw JBL cinema horn which makes it a curious choice for near-field listening. In a theater listeners would be at least of 30 feet away from that horn. At that distance, the articulation gain would counterbalance the horn coloration. When I heard it sitting 15 feet of the speaker, the coloration was pretty pronounced. Not a sound I could live with.

I wonder if PBN EQ'd the horn for this setup. I looked up the specs and JBL recommends +2dB at 10kHz and +13.5dB at 12kHz! That's for long-throw applications and would likely kill small animals in the near-field. So I'm guessing no.

It sure looked cool. No doubt about that.

Russ

Reactions: KeithR and bazelio

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Grateful thanks to Baz for his excellent photos and prompt to the point observations.

Pleasing to read --Kudos

BruceD

Reactions: bazelio

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What kind of music did they play at The Show? Girl with guitar or with easy jazz background?

Let me guess, most systems there would break trying to play Black Sabbath.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
What kind of music did they play at The Show? Girl with guitar or with easy jazz background?

Let me guess, most systems there would break trying to play Black Sabbath.
We played Rammstein in the Verity, Thrax room. :D Sabbath? Child's play.

PS I'm not one to tolerate audiophile music for very long. In one room, someone said "let's play the Vanessa Fernandez cover of Led Zeppelin" to which I responded "that's my cue ... buh bye!".

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin and djsina2

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"Let my play you some selections from my 5000 record collection of 'girl with guitar' music. I have them arranged according to squeaky, breathy octave!"

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Unfortunately the real test always comes after you pay the $$ bring the stuff home plug it in and play some of your favourite music .

But in munchen some didnt care .
For example FM acoustics played anything u could think of

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
"Let my play you some selections from my 5000 record collection of 'girl with guitar' music. I have them arranged according to squeaky, breathy octave!"

You forgot the show specials. The quinquagenarian, violet eye shadow and blue polyester “fitted” dress brigade singing their hotel lift repertoire.

Reactions: cjfrbw and bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
In some of the rooms that were digital streaming only, I simply asked if I could select a track myself and they were fine with it. They handed the iPad to me. In the past, I've brought a record or two to the show, and 90%+ of the reps were happy to play them.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
In some of the rooms that were digital streaming only, I simply asked if I could select a track myself and they were fine with it. They handed the iPad to me. In the past, I've brought a record or two to the show, and 90%+ of the reps were happy to play them.

Some useful data points in your posts - thanks. The post about the Prana more dead cabinet not speaking to you musically as a more live one very much resonates with me (pun intended). Also the AER in the acrylic - yes it imparts an acrylic timbre low and behold. It isn’t the driver though - the driver is very neutral indeed. Also the absurdity of that application - it can never produce any proper bass like that - to expect it to is mere madness.

Reactions: bonzo75 and bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing