System Setup: Art? Science? A combination of both?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Where do you guys stand here? What are your procedures and rituals? What specifically would you do if you had to demo your system at a place like RMAF?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We're prepping for another show next month. It definitely starts with Science. When our Philippine Show moved hotels last year, the first thing we asked for was the floor plan. Seeing the dimensions we opted to bring our smallest loudspeaker, 2 subwoofers and our smallest electronics as well. We also asked about the construction of the rooms and the electrical layout. These were provided for us by the organizer with the help of the hotel management. With this knowledge we were able to figure out initial placement for everything including treatments and were able to optimize the remaining space for the show goers comfort and listening pleasure.

Once wired up, set up is no different from doing things at home. One side wall was concrete and the other space frame. This led to some speaker placement adjustments of a few inches to even out the boundary effects. Having a handy portable measurement tool (we use a Phonic) is a great way to be consistent. It cut the sub integration time greatly.

I do have two rituals. First on is, I enter the empty room and sit alone in silence for about 20 minutes. I soak up and internalize the roomtone and visualize and predict hf reflection patterns. When I think I have a feel for the space, the boys begin setting stuff up where I tell them. I do all electrical connections myself. After that it's mostly just fine tuning to hit aesthetic targets. Our reputation is built on balance and continuity so that's what we always strive for. Always go for Goldilocks. LOL. I've been doing remote set ups in the strangest places for a couple of decades. The first look is no longer too far from where the equipment eventually ends up. Which last year ended up like this. Pretty modest and utilitarian but voted by many as best of show I guess because lots of guys were stuffing huge speakers in these small rooms. There's that science part again.

083.jpg

The second one is, I go down to the Hotel garden. Park myself on a bench and have a smoke. I plan on quitting on my daughter's 13th birthday so this may be this rituals last exercise.

This year we got a corner suite so we'll have more room to play in. We've already picked the horse for that new course so to speak and it is bigger but just by a little bit. :)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
System Setup: Art? Science? A combination of both?

YES !! And sometimes a measure of luck/good fortune.

Maybe in a start from scratch approach, science plays the larger role. But most of us don't have that luxury. Even in Mike Lavigns start-from-scratch room, he has substantially modified what his room started with (and that's the "art" part).

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
First on is, I enter the empty room and sit alone in silence for about 20 minutes. I soak up and internalize the roomtone and visualize and predict hf reflection patterns. When I think I have a feel for the space, the boys begin setting stuff up where I tell them. I do all electrical connections myself. After that it's mostly just fine tuning to hit aesthetic targets.

I have a similar process. Sitting in silence in the empty room is a very important part of the process.

Many years ago, to help myself visualize what room reflections will do, I got trays of various sizes, filled them with water, and dropped pebbles of various sizes from different heights into the water. The resulting wave patterns are interesting to say the least. Your brain learns after a while (lots of spilled water and pebbles) and now when I walk into a room, I can visualize where the speakers should be.

Then, for fine tuning, I have the "Genesis Loudspeaker Set-up Procedure" (1.5mb pdf). I've taught this to the executive committee of the local audio society and now they can set up the speakers pretty quickly for the monthly meeting.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A recipe from Galen Carol Audio http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/roomacoustics.html

Optical Alignment Kit.
A wide strip of reflective Mylar "tape" is temporarily attached to the wall surrounding the speakers, at ear level. Seated in your listening position, you will be surprised to see multiple reflections of each speaker, all around the room. These images represent the points along the walls at which harmful reflections will occur. Mark these points, remove the Mylar, pop a Tube Trap in each location and viola, instant gratification

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a similar process. Sitting in silence in the empty room is a very important part of the process.

Many years ago, to help myself visualize what room reflections will do, I got trays of various sizes, filled them with water, and dropped pebbles of various sizes from different heights into the water. The resulting wave patterns are interesting to say the least. Your brain learns after a while (lots of spilled water and pebbles) and now when I walk into a room, I can visualize where the speakers should be.

Then, for fine tuning, I have the "Genesis Loudspeaker Set-up Procedure" (1.5mb pdf). I've taught this to the executive committee of the local audio society and now they can set up the speakers pretty quickly for the monthly meeting.

Silence is so highly underrated eh Gary? LOL.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A recipe from Galen Carol Audio http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/roomacoustics.html

Optical Alignment Kit.
A wide strip of reflective Mylar "tape" is temporarily attached to the wall surrounding the speakers, at ear level. Seated in your listening position, you will be surprised to see multiple reflections of each speaker, all around the room. These images represent the points along the walls at which harmful reflections will occur. Mark these points, remove the Mylar, pop a Tube Trap in each location and viola, instant gratification

Very interesting.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
We're prepping for another show next month. It definitely starts with Science. When our Philippine Show moved hotels last year, the first thing we asked for was the floor plan. Seeing the dimensions we opted to bring our smallest loudspeaker, 2 subwoofers and our smallest electronics as well. We also asked about the construction of the rooms and the electrical layout. These were provided for us by the organizer with the help of the hotel management. With this knowledge we were able to figure out initial placement for everything including treatments and were able to optimize the remaining space for the show goers comfort and listening pleasure.

Once wired up, set up is no different from doing things at home. One side wall was concrete and the other space frame. This led to some speaker placement adjustments of a few inches to even out the boundary effects. Having a handy portable measurement tool (we use a Phonic) is a great way to be consistent. It cut the sub integration time greatly.

I do have two rituals. First on is, I enter the empty room and sit alone in silence for about 20 minutes. I soak up and internalize the roomtone and visualize and predict hf reflection patterns. When I think I have a feel for the space, the boys begin setting stuff up where I tell them. I do all electrical connections myself. After that it's mostly just fine tuning to hit aesthetic targets. Our reputation is built on balance and continuity so that's what we always strive for. Always go for Goldilocks. LOL. I've been doing remote set ups in the strangest places for a couple of decades. The first look is no longer too far from where the equipment eventually ends up. Which last year ended up like this. Pretty modest and utilitarian but voted by many as best of show I guess because lots of guys were stuffing huge speakers in these small rooms. There's that science part again.

View attachment 6274

The second one is, I go down to the Hotel garden. Park myself on a bench and have a smoke. I plan on quitting on my daughter's 13th birthday so this may be this rituals last exercise.

This year we got a corner suite so we'll have more room to play in. We've already picked the horse for that new course so to speak and it is bigger but just by a little bit. :)

Jack, do you make provisions for the presence of multiple bodies in the room? Do you find that makes a difference?

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
quitting

:)

If I may say, even though I never had to quit - if you use accupuncture, it is just plain possible. having seen now quite a few people doing it with no grave pain, and I 'd never have believed it..

Good luck. Egidius

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Optical Alignment Kit.

Very interesting.

Interesting. I tried that a few weeks ago with the arrival of some new Tube Traps and GIK panels. In my room with my system it was a disaster! Dead sound, "smeary" imprecise imaging and peaky frequency response. So the Tube Traps went back to the corners only and the panels to the front wall, with just a little absorption at the sidewall first reflection points only. Much better

Saturntube

Industry Expert
Feb 8, 2011
Austin Texas
www.SadurniAcoustics.com
I just tried the Optical Alignment trick in my room and results were very "foreseeable". Where I had a bass trap there was some vibration! Mostly at the center of the wall, but not always. At first it is kind of difficult to notice the mylar moving, but after a couple of walls you get the hang of it.
I even tried it on the roof, or as far up as possible, and the vibrations were exactly were the bass modules mouth is placed: interesting. A new bass trap-difusor is going in there.

I absolutely agree with you Gary, not overloading the room is very important, I might even say: There is only one right volume you can play your system at and it is what the room will allow, without overloading. And it is not much, I have even seen very big open rooms overloading, but we were pushing it with Pink Floyd helicopter, "you, yes you"....

I could not open the file on your web page Gary.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack, do you make provisions for the presence of multiple bodies in the room? Do you find that makes a difference?

The biggest problem with multiple bodies in a room isn't what they absorb but rather the noise they make. LOL.

That said, I don't go that far. There are always three of us in the room when doing final set up. We just run with that.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center

Interesting stuff Gary , thanks for the link .....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing