SXSW Update

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
As a first timer, it is hard not to be blown away. This is like Disneyland with tattoos, mullets, lot's of leather, bands pushing carts with their gear through the streets, people playing from street corners, massive stages, open air bars, tents and trucks. I've seen several oopmha bands with liederhosen. My wife spotted a band with identical twin horn players, both of whom were wearing matching British Health System cheapo black plastic glasses with smudged lenses, crooked, of course. Some of the women are gorgeous- others, well, if you can imagine a Wal-mart shopper in cut offs, a halter top, prison tats and bulging mid-riff, you start to get the idea. The bass is so loud that you can hear it through buildings blocks away.
We caught a few acts already, including Los Lonely Boys, and some friends who bought a bar here for the sole purpose of producing and hosting live events are having George Clinton headline on Saturday night. It is a total circus, but seems to be fairly under control, in terms of threat level. (I tend not to like drunks or crowds, and especially don't like the combination).
We stopped into the Driskill (sort of the Plaza Hotel of Austin, very nice place where we have stayed before we semi-relocated here). The bar was a mosh pit of production crews working out playlists and logistical details.
My heart goes out to the musicians that are really doing this bare bones, no crew, no manager, schlepping their gear through the crowded streets to a gig, or no gig at all. Virtually every brand name in media has branding here, whether it is a small trailer or giant parking lot taken over by staging, lighting, sets and ancillary trailers, power and film crews, like pop up full sized venues-
This is utter madness in a pretty good way.
The buzz is the Prince show in a smallish venue. Clapton headlines at the end of the festival.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Prince? Clapton? I thought SXSW was a showcase for new talent.

Tim

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
When I went to school in Austin there was only Aquafest (it was the early 80s). Never been to SXSW but I do want to get there one day. If it's anything like Jazzfest, Prince and Clapton can only make it better for those of us who like local or lesser known acts. When a big act is playing on the main stage the smaller tents/venues are relatively uncrowded and you can truly enjoy some great music without having someone tell you that he spent the 70s following the Dead around, or that he saw Clapton at the Filmore in '75, not to mention some 60 year old guy trying to heave his wife on his shoulders to "jam" - true story from Jazzfest as I was passing by the overflow crown listening to Springsteen on my way to the Brass Band tent!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Did I tell you about the time I saw Springsteen in St. Louis, supporting "Darkness on the Edge of Town?" Awesome show, dood.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I think it is a mix of all kinds and levels of talent, from the guys working the streets, and the clubs, to the acts supported by the labels, to the big acts brought in by commercial sponsors, e.g. Samsung is sponsoring the Prince show. I'm actually more interested in what happens in Austin the other 11.5 months a year, but have been enjoying SX in small doses. I found it pretty overwhelming. I'm heading to the Convention Center shortly to be on a panel about music publishing for start-ups. I think it still gives new bands an opportunity to be heard, but the overwhelming majority of people I see on the streets in town are just here for fun, not because they are part of the industry or scoping out new talent.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Did you catch Phosphorescent? They were playing material from the upcoming album "Muchacho"

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I know it's sacrilege but I am not a fan of Springsteen. Have to give him his due for the shows he puts on (only have been to 1) and his dedication to his craft but his music has never moved me. Niel Young is another one in that category. I don't turn them off when they are on but I also own very little music by either one. Clapton on the other hand I have most of his music and seen him several times. Small venues are the way to go if you get lucky! One of the guys that works for me is in a band playing tomorrow. When he gets back I'll have to ask how it was. Hard for me to get away from work this time of year but I just might have to get down there one year. Maybe I'll just retire there!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing