Sully

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Saw this today with my family. We all know the story but this movie encompasses the rest of the story as Sully and his co-pilot are investigated by the NTSB as the computer simulations suggested he had time to land the plane at La Guardia or in New Jersey whereas Sully maintained that wasn't the case as both engines had failed due to birds. The NTSB stated that his left engine was still functional and had thrust to achieve the landing. Sully maintained he didn't. It wasn't until the investigation with flight simulations that proved Sully correct and he was exonerated.

Not only do we all remember this story but the heroics of this one man to land safely in the Hudson and not lose one of the 155 souls on board but for me it was somewhat more memorable as I was living in Danville in Northern California at the time. Sully also lived in Danville, in fact less than 2 miles from where I lived. I remember driving by his house only to see all of the news trucks parked outside

The movie was a short 90 minutes but well told by way of flash backs

Tom Hanks once again proves him self to be a chameleon as he played this role. He lost a lot of weight and truly looked like Sully who is seen at the end of the movie in the rolling credits. He remains IMO one of the best actors in Hollywood today

Definitely worth seeing.Good but not great

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
computer simulations suggested he had time to land the plane at La Guardia or in New Jersey whereas Sully maintained that wasn't the case as both engines had failed due to birds.

Clint / Hollywood often mixes fact with entertainment value and creative license.

NTSB report ...
http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR1003.pdf

"Simulation flights were run to determine whether the accident flight could have landed successfully at LGA or TEB following the bird strike. The simulations demonstrated that, to accomplish a successful flight to either airport, the airplane would have to have been turned toward the airport immediately after the bird strike. The immediate turn did not reflect or account for real-world considerations, such as the time delay required to recognize the extent of the engine thrust loss and decide on a course of action. The one simulator flight that took into account real-world considerations (a return to LGA runway 13 was attempted after a 35-second delay) was not successful. Therefore, the NTSB concludes that the captain’s decision to ditch on the Hudson River rather than attempting to land at an airport provided the highest probability that the accident would be survivable."

Steve Williams

Clint / Hollywood often mixes fact with entertainment value and creative license.

NTSB report ...
http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR1003.pdf

"Simulation flights were run to determine whether the accident flight could have landed successfully at LGA or TEB following the bird strike. The simulations demonstrated that, to accomplish a successful flight to either airport, the airplane would have to have been turned toward the airport immediately after the bird strike. The immediate turn did not reflect or account for real-world considerations, such as the time delay required to recognize the extent of the engine thrust loss and decide on a course of action. The one simulator flight that took into account real-world considerations (a return to LGA runway 13 was attempted after a 35-second delay) was not successful. Therefore, the NTSB concludes that the captain’s decision to ditch on the Hudson River rather than attempting to land at an airport provided the highest probability that the accident would be survivable."

That was all in the movie

They added 35 seconds to the simulator to account for those 13 attempts and then had them run the simulator again which clearly showed that Sully made the correct decision. Finally they recovered the left engine from the river and it showed that the engine was completely wrecked and agin corroborated Sully's decision.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Will be seeing it this weekend and looking forward to hearing the score by the Tierney Sutton Band. Seems Clint needed a villain of sorts and misrepresented the actions of the NTSB in the investigation, making them out to be more antagonistic than they really were. This is not the NTSB as described by Sully in his book. Creative license to make a movie rather than a documentary. It is a movie after all.

Steve Williams

Will be seeing it this weekend and looking forward to hearing the score by the Tierney Sutton Band. Seems Clint needed a villain of sorts and misrepresented the actions of the NTSB in the investigation, making them out to be more antagonistic than they really were. This is not the NTSB as described by Sully in his book. Creative license to make a movie rather than a documentary. It is a movie after all.

It was IMO a well told story in 90 minutes and yes the NTSB came across from the beginning as antagonistic

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Tom Hanks and Sully were on the Jimmy Kimmel show together last night. Interesting interview and a hilarious spoof of a Tom Hanks life story movie starring Sully as Tom Hanks. Apparently the two of them became friends while working on the movie.

We plan on seeing this movie. Should be a good one.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for posting....I plan on seeing this movie also...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Will go see it too as soon as I land in the USA :)

Concerning the NTSB being antagonistic, that is their job to be so, not to be congratulatory. They are a Safety Board and need to make sure that pilots don't go playing Heroes without analyzing all the facts ... from what I read this movie is correct on this aspect too ...

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Will go see it too as soon as I land in the USA :)

Concerning the NTSB being antagonistic, that is their job to be so, not to be congratulatory. They are a Safety Board and need to make sure that pilots don't go playing Heroes without analyzing all the facts ... from what I read this movie is correct on this aspect too ...

http://qz.com/778011/sully-ntsb-investigators-are-not-happy-about-being-made-the-villains-in-clint-eastwoods-film-starring-tom-hanks-as-chesley-sully-sullenberger/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-ntsb-investigators-have-beef-with-movie-sully/

It's NOT their job to be antagonistic, rather to gather all the facts and report on them accordingly.

And they did just that, the initial NTSB report (not amended) supported the pilots decision to ditch without blame.

Luv Clint, but in typical Hollywood fashion, they often twist facts for fiction/drama. Clint's Million Dollar Baby totally portrayed woman's boxing incorrectly (as if the Nevada State Athletic Commission would allow such behavior) and he still won the Oscar.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
http://qz.com/778011/sully-ntsb-investigators-are-not-happy-about-being-made-the-villains-in-clint-eastwoods-film-starring-tom-hanks-as-chesley-sully-sullenberger/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-ntsb-investigators-have-beef-with-movie-sully/

It's NOT their job to be antagonistic, rather to gather all the facts and report on them accordingly.

And they did just that, the initial NTSB report (not amended) supported the pilots decision to ditch without blame.

Luv Clint, but in typical Hollywood fashion, they often twist facts for fiction/drama. Clint's Million Dollar Baby totally portrayed woman's boxing incorrectly (as if the Nevada State Athletic Commission would allow such behavior) and he still won the Oscar.

Got your points...

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
My wife and I saw Sully today. We really enjoyed it, quite well done.

I was not aware that he and the co-pilot had been subjected to such harsh treatment by the NTSB.

Kudos to Clint Eastwood for excellent directing and to Tom Hanks for another great acting job. Those two old pros rarely miss their mark....at least in the movie business.

They had me dabbing a tear or two along the way.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'm looking forward to this movie.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
My wife and I saw it about a week ago and we both enjoyed it too. I am guessing some small liberties were taken for entertainment purposes since it wasn't billed as a documentary.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
As great a job as Sully did, landing the plane on water and saving all those lives, I saw a documentary about all the OTHER planes that have landed on water, with and without incident. I can't believe how many it has been!
I guess this one gets played up the most because of media/internet coverage.

Steve Williams

As great a job as Sully did, landing the plane on water and saving all those lives, I saw a documentary about all the OTHER planes that have landed on water, with and without incident. I can't believe how many it has been!
I guess this one gets played up the most because of media/internet coverage.

not really Bruce but rather that there were 155 souls on board with no serious injuries or fatalities

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Looks like Sully, Don't Breathe and Hell or High Water are three new movies which are good.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
so its good, but not great to most of you? i'll likely pass for now then. the Deepwater Horizon movie has more caught my interest.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing