Suggestions on Gospel (Choir) LPs

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm in a mood. Sure, I've got Aretha's Amazing Grace, but I'm looking for more of that old-timey, black gospel with lot's of voices and a decent recording. (I've had the pleasure of hearing the battle of the choirs at the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem and have been welcomed into any number of store front churches in my travels). A little electric bass and Hammond B-3 won't get in the way, but I want to hear those wonderful voices in a real acoustic environment. Oh, and did I mention it's gotta be on vinyl?
What say you, my brothers and sisters?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have many examples on CD but none on vinyl. Sorry!

Thanks AG. I found Edwin Hawkins "Oh Happy Day" on German vinyl (never terribly impressed with the sound of U.S. Buddah Records). It is supposed to be a great performance and a good recording.
But keep those suggestions coming!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Chanticleer

How Sweet the Sound: Spirituals & Traditional Gospel Music

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
old-timey........hmmmmmmm.

Try The New Life Community Choir's Wait on Him ;)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
It is not LP but here in the UK The Tallis Scholars is very well recognised/acknowledged and also do high-rez downloadable music along with CD quality and do some great church/choir music.
Worth checking out anyway, even if just to keep an eye on their concerts that is also listed.
http://www.gimell.com/catalogue.aspx

Cheers
Orb

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It is not LP but here in the UK The Tallis Scholars is very well recognised/acknowledged and also do high-rez downloadable music along with CD quality and do some great church/choir music.
Worth checking out anyway, even if just to keep an eye on their concerts that is also listed.
http://www.gimell.com/catalogue.aspx

Cheers
Orb
Orb- I did say old timey, but they white folks, singin medieval chit. :) I have heard of them, i'll check 'em out. I do have some choral sets of things like Elgar on EMI, which I haven't played in years. Thanks. Seriously.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Anything by The Fairfield Four with my favorite being Standing In The Safety Zone

Thanks, Jefe. Unfortunately, this one is not available on vinyl. I may get a few of these to listen to on digital stream anyway just to enjoy, but won't be able to listen to on the 'big rig.'

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks, Jefe. Unfortunately, this one is not available on vinyl. I may get a few of these to listen to on digital stream anyway just to enjoy, but won't be able to listen to on the 'big rig.'

I use Standing In The Safety Zone to help dial in my soundstage

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I use Standing In The Safety Zone to help dial in my soundstage

Yep, I used to use the Ave Maria from The Mission to dial in the system. When it's right, the voices are distinct, and you can hear pinpoint placement front to back.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Orb- I did say old timey, but they white folks, singin medieval chit. :) I have heard of them, i'll check 'em out. I do have some choral sets of things like Elgar on EMI, which I haven't played in years. Thanks. Seriously.

Hehehe, well I did pause a bit before posting but thought you probably would like some of their music as well; I like a broad range of gospel /arias/etc myself that would also include your original context.
Cheers
Orb

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hehehe, well I did pause a bit before posting but thought you probably would like some of their music as well; I like a broad range of gospel /arias/etc myself that would also include your original context.
Cheers
Orb

Thanks, man. We gotta get you Brits (Lloyd too) down to Tex-ass for some brisket BBQ. It's a whole different thing than 'southern' BBQ (which I also dig, read: Memphis style), and relies on the cut and cooking, rather than sauces. You guys do make a nice roasted beef, though. I had a delicious meal out in Constable country overlooking a vale that he painted.

prerich

May 21, 2012
If you love that B-3 sound - you need to look for the Mass Choir LP's - they are rare and hard to fiind, such as all of the James Clevland GMWA LP's, Mattic Moss Clark and the COGIC workshop choir, Geogia Mass, Florida Mass, Keith Pringle and the Pentecostal Community Choir, Mississippi Mass, and Willmington - Chester Mass Choir, just to name a few - as I said - very rare to find. I have a friend that has some of the Cleveland stuff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing