Suggestions for a portable cardiod microphone for speech

misterspeakeasy

Jun 24, 2023
I am an English teacher, teaching English to adult non-native speakers.

I have a modest mini-studio type set up for online face-to-face tuition, with a Shute cardiod XLR running through AudioOne into my laptop.

However, I would like to record short audio clips, sometimes at home, sometimes possibly away from home in various indoor settings, sometimes recording other people one at a time.

I want as far as possible to emulate a studio environment. I am looking for a sound that is acoustically dead, using (I expect) close microphone technique and a quality microphone with cardiod or hyper-cardiod characteristics.

I would use either a laptop or an IOS device... an iPhone or iPad.

Budget is limited.

The objective is to create neutral, quality spoken items which would be used in micro-learning environments.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I am an English teacher, teaching English to adult non-native speakers.

I have a modest mini-studio type set up for online face-to-face tuition, with a Shute cardiod XLR running through AudioOne into my laptop.

However, I would like to record short audio clips, sometimes at home, sometimes possibly away from home in various indoor settings, sometimes recording other people one at a time.

I want as far as possible to emulate a studio environment. I am looking for a sound that is acoustically dead, using (I expect) close microphone technique and a quality microphone with cardiod or hyper-cardiod characteristics.

I would use either a laptop or an IOS device... an iPhone or iPad.

Budget is limited.

The objective is to create neutral, quality spoken items which would be used in micro-learning environments.
A simple lavalier with USB output might be the perfect solution. Rode and Audio-Technica have those. Then put the signal through Adobe Podcast and you'll be golden :)

petemccollister

Apr 14, 2023
Considering your budget, you might want to explore options like the Audio-Technica ATR2100x-USB or the Samson Q2U. They're budget-friendly and offer decent sound quality. To achieve that studio-like environment, focus on your recording space. Get some acoustic treatment materials to minimize unwanted echoes and background noise. It can make a big difference even with an affordable mic.

petemccollister

Apr 14, 2023
Considering your budget, you might want to explore options like the Audio-Technica ATR2100x-USB or the Samson Q2U. They're budget-friendly and offer decent sound quality. To achieve that studio-like environment, focus on your recording space. Get some acoustic treatment materials to minimize unwanted echoes and background noise. It can make a big difference even with an affordable mic.
It can make a big difference even with an affordable mic. For iOS devices, you can grab a USB adapter to connect these mics easily. If you're curious about different mic setups, you can check out microphones used for ASMR. They're known for their precision in capturing sounds, which might inspire your recordings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing