Stunning sounding high res files

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I am playing them at 24/192. I don't do dsd or dxd. My system consists of Spectral, Vandersteen, McCormack, Theta and Schitt audio.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue AIFF 24/192 from HDTracks. Magnificent sound and great music to boot. I can't imagine the 2 channel master tape could sound any better. The mastering is that good.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue AIFF 24/192 from HDTracks. Magnificent sound and great music to boot. I can't imagine the 2 channel master tape could sound any better. The mastering is that good.

You might be surprised.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

That should also be available as DSD, as it's on SACD. The SACD is wonderful indeed...

alexandre

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
That should also be available as DSD, as it's on SACD. The SACD is wonderful indeed...

The Analogue Productions Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue SACD is one of my favs - SQ 10/10

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
My DAC doesn't do DSD. I have tried some DSD using Audirvanna to convert it to 24/176.4. Can't say I have been impressed. Maybe some day I will spring for a DSD only DAC. Not right now though.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My DAC doesn't do DSD. I have tried some DSD using Audirvanna to convert it to 24/176.4. Can't say I have been impressed. Maybe some day I will spring for a DSD only DAC. Not right now though.

You haven't heard DSD yet. You heard DSD converted to PCM so no wonder you weren't impressed.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I have heard plenty of DSD on other dacs and systems. I prefer PCM. Sorry.

by chance, did you have vinyl or tape and so have a reference for analog sound. how did the dsd and PCM compare to the analog sources?

or maybe in those other systems where you heard dsd how did the dsd and PCM compare in those systems where you had an analog source to compare?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have heard plenty of DSD on other dacs and systems. I prefer PCM. Sorry.

Cool, but that's not what your above post said. If you prefer PCM to DSD that is fine. I would get your ears checked as soon as possible though to make sure you don't have some potatoes growing in there. :D

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Bruckner, symphony no. 7, Ivan Fischer/BFO, Channel Classics 24/192. Marvelous musical and audio experience.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Gottlieb Wallisch, Joseph Haydn, the London sonatas, Linn 24/192. Very fine piano recording.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Denan Lazic, Maurice Ravel, retrospection, pianoworks 1899-1917, Channel Classics, 24/192. Although the playing of Dejan Lazic will probably not be to everyone's liking, the piano sound is absolutely beautiful as is of course the music of Ravel.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
The last one of today. Hector Berlioz, les nuits d'ete & la mort de Cleopatre, Robin Ticciati conductor and Karen Cargill mezzo-soprano, Linn, 24/192. Although now and then (some of the tuttis) somewhat 'in your face' sounding (on my systen anyway), the music is beautifully played and most of the time the sound is beautiful as well.

Last edited:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Cool, but that's not what your above post said. If you prefer PCM to DSD that is fine. I would get your ears checked as soon as possible though to make sure you don't have some potatoes growing in there. :D

I am 55 and can still hear out to 17 khz. I prefer the sound of PCM. Why can't you just accept that in my system, in my room and my hearing system, I prefer something that you don't? You prefer the sound of DSD. Fine and dandy. You don't see me being critical of your ability to hear.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
No reason for it to be DSD only!

I already have a PCM DAC I am very happy with. If DSD truly becomes mainstream and with content I just can't get on PCM, I will get a DSD DAC. If I can't find one that does DSD only and is maximized for DSD like my DAC is for PCM or mine breaks, I will swing for a DAC that does both.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
No need to get your panties in a bunch as I'm just teasing you. If PCM makes your socks roll up and down I'm happy for you.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
by chance, did you have vinyl or tape and so have a reference for analog sound. how did the dsd and PCM compare to the analog sources?

or maybe in those other systems where you heard dsd how did the dsd and PCM compare in those systems where you had an analog source to compare?

Oh, I have about 600 LPs and a very nice VPI/Kuzma TT so I have a very good handle on analog sound. In fact, I have a few albums on LP and 24/192 PCM. I prefer the PCM on those titles which are late 50's jazz. Lower noise floor, no surface noise, better bass and better snap in the drum kits. Sounds more like the live music I hear on a regular basis than the LPs. I find the same applies to DSD which sounds more like the LP ( which I think is why some like it so much) In my system, the 24/192 or 24/96 PCM takes me into the recording venue more so that the vinyl. Your experience is obviously different based on your questions. I know there are many vinyl devotees here. I enjoy vinyl too. But in my home and in my room, I listen to high rez PCM way more than vinyl. I never suffer listener fatigue unless it is a poor recording and mastering job and listen until the early houses of the morning in the dark when the wife is away and enjoy the sound and the music immensely. Frankly, isn't that enough?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing