Stravinsky Double Feature

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I've gotten about halfway through this disc from Bel Air Classics, featuring Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky Orchestra and Ballet.

http://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-Ba...ef=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1279771479&sr=1-1

The video quality is very good. The colors in the costumes and stage design are quite vivid and fine detail is very good as well.

The audio is supplied in two different tracks: LPCM 2.0 and DTS-MA/HD 5.1. I sampled both tracks to compare the differences. As a long-time stereo guy, I thought the instrumental focus on the stereo track was slightly superior to that of the multichannel presentation. However, the hall ambience and projection of the instrumental lines into the atmosphere (crucial when the orchestra plays from the pit) were far superior on the DTS track. I'd go as far as to say that I had a few "Wow, that sounded real" moments from the multichannel track. Also, footfalls on stage by the dancers (and handslaps to the floor in The Rite of Spring) sounded very realistic via the multichannel mix.

This is all played by the same orchestra that has received great reviews for its SACD releases such as Shostakovich's The Nose:

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279771901&sr=1-1

Overall, very good playing and sound. I can't speak too much for the quality of the performance, since I have only attended one other performance of the Firebird before seeing this. Suffice it to say that this disc has captivating performances and excellent dancing, framed by interesting set design and choreography.

Recommended.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing