Straight Outta Compton

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
If it wasn't getting rave reviews, or if it wasn't taking the box office by storm, I admit I never would have seen this movie. That would have been a mistake. It is, in my view, the best movie of the summer by far, and a very good movie indeed. It doesn't matter that you may have no taste for Gangsta Rap. Neither do I. But if you love music and music history, you can't dismiss this well told story of the origins of Gangsta Rap in the late 80's, which basically changed the face of all pop music that followed in a major way. The story centers on the beginning of NWA and includes a host of characters you all know and recognize including Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Easy E and others, with the addition of other minor characters such as Snoop Dog and Jimmy Iovine as the story progresses chronologically. It beautifully weaves the music with the social climate of the time (i.e. Rodney King and the LA riots). A testament to the caliber of the movie is that it held my attention for 2.5 hours and I didn't look at my watch once. Paul Giamatti as their original manager Jerry Heller is superb. Let me be very clear. This is not a move about Gangsta Rap for Gangsta rap audiences. Main stream audiences have responded just as enthusiastically. Don't miss it.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I will buy the Blue Ray. The CD is around here someplace. Time to find it, and put it on the server.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
second best movie of the year for me behind Ex Machina- just a wonderful woven story coupled with the surrounding events of late 80s/early 90s LA.

the audience gave an ovation afterward as well- highly recommended!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
second best movie of the year for me behind Ex Machina- just a wonderful woven story coupled with the surrounding events of late 80s/early 90s LA.

the audience gave an ovation afterward as well- highly recommended!

Like most I as well thought this to be an extremely well made movie and certainly for me the best of the summer but I have to admit that the best film that I have seen so far this year is also another music biopic but this one is Love and Mercy, the story of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. Far less controversial than Straight Outta Compton but IMO is not to be missed. The 4 major roles in this movie are portrayed with great reality and easily should garner some Academy nominations. Seeing this film one begins to understand the genius behind the mind of Brian Wilson

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-Wilson-Biopic&p=338523&viewfull=1#post338523

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing