Storage of cd's

Bill Stevenson

Aug 12, 2014
I completely agree with Larry. Case Logic Albums hold up just fine, take up less space and are easy to leaf through. But, they are a PITA to insert new discs into where somehow room must be made for them. To overcome this problem, I made up Albums by genre or category, i.e. female vocal jazz, Baroque etc.,and don't worry too much about a particular order. I also like that the albums are easy to transport as I have three houses all in different states and over 2000 CDs to play between them. Recently I bought a Sony HAP-Z1ES and have been ripping discs and storing them in it. That will free up one house, although my wife and I have discussed buying another 'Z1 for one of the other houses. Much easier and the sound is better too.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
For those that want to keep the CD jewel box, and who have some very basic skills, I found a you tube video on how to build shelves for 1000's of CD for under $100.00. This photos is from the video, not my shelves.

The horizontal piece in this photo is a 1 x 2. The vertical piece in the video is a 2 x 4 but I used 1 x 4's. I mounted the 1 x 4's on the wall with "L" brackets BOLTED into the studs and then screwed the 1 x 2's on the face. The jewel case is supported by the wall at the back and the 1x2 holding up the bottom front edge. I purchased the wood from HD and spray painted it black after cutting but before assembling.

image.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If you are sticking with the physical media, then stick with jewel cases. Jewel cases on a shelf provide random access. I would alphabetize them of course. Anything else is too clumsy even though it saves space. Jewel cases do protect discs better than sleeves when they are handled often as will be the case in your scenario. The space of keeping jewel cases is just part of the cost of doing things that way.

Of course I too will tell you what you don't want to hear. Rip them to a hard drive. The advantages are numerous.

I too like physical media and agree with your observations on jewel case.

As far as ripping all the cd's to a hard drive, if you have 50 cd's that's fine, if you have 2000-5000, who has the time to do that????

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I too like physical media and agree with your observations on jewel case.

As far as ripping all the cd's to a hard drive, if you have 50 cd's that's fine, if you have 2000-5000, who has the time to do that????

Retirees :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's a pain timewise to repackage my cd's into these Space Saving Sleeves that I've just ordered, but a Hell of a lot less of an imposition compared to ripping 100's of the pesky silver discs!
I insist on taking a disc off my shelf and playing it, downloading will never be for me.
If I get on w/these, I'll replicate the feat for my dvds/blu's.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I had someone do it for me.

Did you pack up and give the person all your disks to rip or did they come to your house on a daily basis for god knows how long until it was done?

What was your protocol for having someone do this for you?

oscarnr

Oct 4, 2012
Hi.
I use Fleecepack Classic sleeves(from Holland) and they work very well. They have stiff corners so don't bend so easily, and protect front/back cover and the CD in separate compartments. It save my CD collection from going to boxes to an storage room. Now I can keep them with me in my listening room :)

http://www.fleecepack.nl

image.jpg

oscarnr

Oct 4, 2012
Hi. Sorry. The first post didn't appear. Previous photo is a CD in a Fleecepack sleeve (Holland). This sleeves have separate compartments for front/back cover and the CD. They work very well. They have stiff corners so covers don't bend so easily.

http://www.fleecepack.nl

image.jpg

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Can you post a photo of the back of the Fleecepack?
Is it possible to read the back cover's spine?

alexandre

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Can you post a photo of the back of the Fleecepack?
Is it possible to read the back cover's spine?

alexandre

+1...that is my exact question...I'd love to have a thinner container, but I really, really want to be able to read the spine on the shelves...which I know may eliminate any thinner containers in the first place?

oscarnr

Oct 4, 2012

Obviously the spine is not as visible as when in the plastic jewel/CD case, but looking from the side of the back cover and simply moving them a bit you can read the spine easily.
Best
Oscar

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for that!! Much appreciated! Very interesting...I am debating:
- leave it
- get these
- get thin plastic cases that take up half the space (as opposed to 25% of the space)...in the hopes you can kinda see the spine without thumbing thru the shelves

I never considered this...so thanks! definitely start to fill up all the shelves!!!

Obviously the spine is not as visible as when in the plastic jewel/CD case, but looking from the side of the back cover and simply moving them a bit you can read the spine easily.
Best
Oscar

oscarnr

Oct 4, 2012
Thanks for that!! Much appreciated! Very interesting...I am debating:
- leave it
- get these
- get thin plastic cases that take up half the space (as opposed to 25% of the space)...in the hopes you can kinda see the spine without thumbing thru the shelves

I never considered this...so thanks! definitely start to fill up all the shelves!!!

For me this was the best way to go. I preserve all the artwork/booklet but at 1/5 of the space, and they fit in my stardard CD racks. I have recycled a lot of plastic :) (around 1500 plastic CD cases)- I love to have the music (vinyl or CDs) in my listening room. Good companions.
You can always test them and see if they do the job for you.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For me this was the best way to go. I preserve all the artwork/booklet but at 1/5 of the space, and they fit in my stardard CD racks. I have recycled a lot of plastic :) (around 1500 plastic CD cases)- I love to have the music (vinyl or CDs) in my listening room. Good companions.
You can always test them and see if they do the job for you.

Thanks...I may just do that.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lloyd, these "Fleecebacks" look interesting, but I've taken a punt on the JazzLoft "SpaceSavingSleeves", they are sold as having the spines visible, so locating titles should not be an issue. Hoping to save around 2/3 in space.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
spiritofmusic,

That's what I use. I started with the JazzLoft pieces, then moved on to the equivalente from BagsUnlimited (cheaper!). Both are excellent, and do provide access to the spine, so you can keep them in a drawer, and thumb through them easily.
Since I have 9000+ CDs, it's a bit too late for me to switch to the Fleece-thing, but I might order some to use from now on.

jonyung

Sep 22, 2014
Hello
Just to add to the discussion, I would recommend CD softcase from Japan. I have been using them for more than 10 years, gradually removing all CD cases ( to save shelf space for more CDs of course!).
They are high quality, stackable, retains everything form the original CD case, and is highly protective of the CD ( with individual non-woven CD sleeve).
The whole idea reduces the plain CD box into a quasi-LP like experience!
It is also highly dust-resistant.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing